Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I dunno, I think the 'flinch' sprite he usually uses right before that one is better, even if it only lasts all of two seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, I was originally half joking when I said Japanifornian law is based entirely on soap-opera rules.

I am no longer joking and I am instead very excited.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Night10194 posted:

You know, I was originally half joking when I said Japanifornian law is based entirely on soap-opera rules.

I am no longer joking and I am instead very excited.

Glad to have you on board.
Perry Mason shenanigans are nothing compared to Japanifornian shenanigans.

Although I would pay good money for Attorneyvela.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Regalingualius posted:

I dunno, I think the 'flinch' sprite he usually uses right before that one is better, even if it only lasts all of two seconds.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

theshim posted:

Yesss. The very first chink in his armor.

God the spritework for these games is fantastic.
I'm very fond of his super-smug shrug and headshake. Just really wants to make you show him up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I guess trials aren't really publicized. Or maybe just not, like, ones the defense wins?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

Of course this is Japanifornia, where "Guilty until proven innocent" doesn't even begin to cover it.

The Japanifornian system operates on a "first person the police touch is guilty until someone else confesses in court" system.

Funky Valentine posted:

This is the best Edgeworth sprite.

It just says, "What is this? you can't have surprise evidence! Only I can! This isn't how the rigged show trial is supposed to go at all!"

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Even having played these games to death, and knowing how it all falls out, I have to say, I LOVE the freak outs and the nothing gets my blood boiling like Cornered playing in the background.

I can't wait for one of the best moments during this game when it plays :allears: all the moments when it plays are the best

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Dammit I wanna mainline this LP, I wanna hook a Phoenix Wright LP IV directly into my eyeball.

I forgot how addicting this can get.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sorry, I gotta keep it slow and steady if I want to maintain my four update backlog that ensures the LP won't die prematurely.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mors Rattus posted:

Sorry, I gotta keep it slow and steady if I want to maintain my four update backlog that ensures the LP won't die prematurely.

I understand, I just now know why my brother doesn't read ongoing LPs.

:f5:

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
More speculation, though it's basically repeating something I already said:

Miss May had wiretap equipment in her hotel room. She was listening in on the phone call when Mia told Maya about the statue-clock... and didn't notice the detail about the clockwork parts being removed.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Mzbundifund posted:

Also Gumshoe was the one investigating the crime scene, and not finding something like hidden clockwork is par for this particular course.

I remember in the beginning of one case the second game implies that there actually are other officers investigating crime scenes, but they're better at their jobs and less devoted to actual justice, so it's a better use of Phoenix's time to just go straight to Gumshoe.

Not much better, because the reveal is Gumshoe mentioning everyone had a good laugh at one of the other officers slipping on something at the crime scene and making a mess. But better enough that they don't tell the defense attorney useful information.

E: I misread you the first time and thought you said Gumshoe was "the only one" investigation.

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 7, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Gumshoe is a totally good guy, pal, and really honest, see? It's why he's one of the best characters, pal.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In the Japanese version, instead of saying pal, Gumshoe would kinda slur the end of his sentences together. Like "nan desu ka" would become "nanssuka"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Suddenly I'm imagining he's just constantly drunk when he's on the job, and it explains so much.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Zero Suit Ridley posted:

Gumshoe is a totally good guy, pal, and really honest, see? It's why he's one of the best characters, pal.

I am, in no uncertain terms, saying that being honest and a good guy and the best character make Police Detective Richard Gumshoe bad at his job of being a policeman officer.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 2- Turnabout Sisters
Court - Part 4

When we left off...

: Ah! Oooh!
: Th-that!? Eh heh...
: I found this in Miss May's room.

: Mr. Wright! Please explain to the court what this is!
: Miss April May?
: You were tapping the victim, Ms. Mia Fey's phone, were you not?
: Oooh. Oooooh!

: Your Honor, This is irrelevant!

Capitalization mistake is in the source. Whoops!

: I'm not entirely sure that it is. Objection overruled. It troubles that me that our witness was in possession of a wiretap.
: This is outrageous! Does the defense truly claim that the witness was tapping her phone?
: Absolutely!
: Even if that was the case, (which it's not) you still have to prove one thing! Did the victim ever say that the weapon was a clock on the phone?

: Here's my proof.

Can you guess it?

: Yes, we've seen that.
: Listen once more to the conversation between the defendant and the victim.

: Mia! What's up? You haven't called in a while.
: Well, actually there's something I want you to hold on to for me.
: Again? What's it this time?
: It's... a clock. It's made to look like that statue, "The Thinker." And it tells you the time!

: Miss April May! You used a wiretap to listen to this conversation! That's how you knew "The Thinker" was a clock!
: Am I wrong!?
: I... I...

: Your Honor, this is ridiculous!

: The defense demands an answer.

: Witness, answer the question. Did you tap her phone?

: Miss May!

: I-it's no fair! All of you g-ganging up on me like that... Oh, so I'm the bad girl, is that it? Is that it?

: (That did it! The court's seen the real Miss April May now!)

: Miss May!
: What is it you little shrimp! Talk to me in that tone of voice will you!?
: You killed her, didn't you!

: Order! There will be order!
: What? How can you possibly say that!? Are you mad?

: Oops!
: So you admit you tapped her phone!
: Heh... heh... hrrah!

: I didn't do ANYTHING bad like murder! I'm a good girl!
: Really? Can you prove it!? (No way can she prove it!)

: But I can prove it! And I will!

: Why did you tap her phone?
: ...
: Answer the question!
: Do I have to? Isn't this a murder trial? Isn't tippity-tapping er... irrelevant?
: (Gah! She's saying exactly what Edgeworth wants her to say.) Miss May. You were tapping the victim's phone!
: I hardly call that "irrelevant"!

: While this court does not condone the defense's tone of speech, he has a point.
: Well, Miss May? Do you have an explanation for the court? Can you prove you had nothing to do with this murder, even though you tapped her phone?
: (Hah! I'd like to see her pull THAT off!)
: Mr. Lawyer, I saw that evil, evil grin! You were probably thinking "I'd like to see her pull THAT off," weren't you!
: (drat... she's good!)

Convergence.

: You can't be serious! No way!
: Way, I say! Way! Oh, and I assure you I'm serious, Mr. Lawyer!

: Okay? So, the killing happened around 9:00 at night?
: Why, that's just when I was getting room service from that sweet bellboy...
: R-room service!?
: Ice coffee, I believe it was?
: Ice coffee? You know? Like normal coffee, but COLD.
: If you don't drink it quick, the ice melts and then you have... regular cold coffee.
: I-ice coffee...!?

: So, where does that leave us...?
: It is my great displeasure to inform you... That the witness appears to have been tapping the victim's telephone.
: However! That is a separate crime, with no bearing on the current case whatsoever!
: Her testimony stands! She saw the defendant, Maya Fey, commit murder!
: (No! They're going to let her just walk away! There's no way I can win this unless I tie Miss May to the murder somehow...)
: Well, does the defense have anything to say?

For once we're skipping over the other path because, simply, it is long but not very interesting - just a conversational loop in which Phoenix vacillates and eventually decides to call the bellboy because we'll lose if we don't.

: The defense would like to call the hotel bellboy as a witness! There's something suspicious there, and I'm going to get to the bottom of it!
: I think you've sunken quite low enough already.

: I object to calling the bellboy!
: W-why? What's your reason?
: Because I hold that the wiretapping had nothing to do with the killing!
: ...!
: However... If you agree to one condition, I'll consent to calling this witness.
: Condition...?
: If Miss April May's alibi is not called into question after you examine the bellboy... Then you will recognize that Miss April May is not the killer, thus she is innocent!
: Therefore you must accept the verdict of "guilty" for Ms. Maya Fey! That is my condition.
: (What...!? I'd better find something suspicious in that bellboy's testimony... Otherwise Maya will be declared "guilty" on the spot!)

This, incidentally, is roughly where the other path before would have taken us, though with slightly different dialogue.

: (Grr! I can't accept those conditions!) Very well. The defense will refrain from calling the bellboy as a witness.
: I see. You may continue your cross-examination, Mr. Wright.
: Right. On with the cross-examination.
: What exactly do you have left to examine, Mr. Wright? Miss April May has admitted to the wiretap, yes. But that bears no relevance to the case at hand: murder! There's no way you can prove any connection!
: (Uh oh! This can't be the end... but I'm out of evidence!)
: Then I believe the cross-examination is over.
: Mr. Edgeworth, does the prosecution have any other witnesses to call?

: (What!? B-but that means... Maya's guilty...!?)
: W-wait! Your Honor!
: Yes, Mr. Wright?
: The defense would like to call the bellboy after all!
: Tsk tsk tsk... As I thought!
: ...?
: May I remind you, dear Mr. Wright. Should you question the bellboy... and Miss April May's alibi prove to be solid... then, by default, your client Ms. Maya Fey will be pronounced "guilty"!
: Are you prepared to accept my condition?
: (Edgeworth... He's got me backed into a corner... But I don't see any other way to take this!)
: I accept!

: (Alright! I've got nothing to lose! Except for... well, everything!)
: Understood. I accept your condition.
: Hmph.
: Fool... You fell right into my trap!
: (Uh oh!)
: Uh... um, wait...

Convergence.

: Very well! The court calls the hotel bellboy to the stand!

: I believe we're ready for the witness to testify. He certainly does look like a bellboy.

: I received your summons in the middle of work, sir. I'm happy to be of service.
: That tea set looks rather heavy, so without further ado,
: the witness may begin his testimony.
: Very good, sir!

: I see. The defense may begin its cross-examination.
: R-right! I'm ready. (I hope...)
: (This is it... If I can't prove Miss May was involved with the murder now... Maya will be finished!)

: What exactly is it you do at the hotel?
: Why, anything required of me, sir. I check in guests, I check out guests. I clean rooms, I make beds. I even deliver room service, sir. I checked Miss May in personally.
: Are you always so... so prim?
: Mr. Wright.
: You will refrain from asking frivolous questions...

: Are you sure it was Miss May on the phone?
: Absolutely, sir.
: H-how can you be so certain!?
: I checked Miss May in personally, sir. Not only did I see her in all her stunning radiance, but also heard her voice. And then I saw THEM, and I...

: The point being, I remembered her quite well, sir.
: Yes, what then?

: 9:00 "on the dot," you say?
: Yes. I confirmed that detail several times. She was watching a program on the TV, and wished to drink after she finished, sir.
: (9:00... the time of the murder!)

: "Precisely" 9:00, then?
: Precisely, exactly, and most definitely, sir. 9:00 PM.
: How can you be so sure!?
: Miss May was quite insistent that it be brought then. "Oh, bellboy? Tee hee! I'd like, like, ice coffee at exactly 9:00!" Something like that, sir. Therefore, I knocked on her door at the crack of 9:00, sir.
: (Why would she be so particular about the time?)

: You are sure it was Miss April May herself?
: Ab-SO-lutely, sir.
: "Ab-SO-lutely"...?
: Yes, sir. As in, "So very absolutely," sir. It's an endearing mannerism of mine.
: How come you're so very certain!?
: Well, when I brought the room service, sir... S-she... the guest, sir, favored me w-with a, um, an "embrasser," sir.
: "Embrasser"!? Is that French for "embrace"?
: It's French for "kiss," sir. But not a french kiss, sir! More of a peck on the cheek.
: Wh-why would she have done that...?
: I believe, perhaps, she was momentarily swayed by my prim demeanor, sir. It was a moment I shall never, ever forget, sir.
: (Sounds pretty fish to me... I think our Miss May was up to something and wanted the bellboy to remember her!)
: It's no good! (There's nothing there! Is... is that it?)

: Tsk tsk. Finally, you understand. This bellboy has absolutely no reason to lie! Now...
: If you have any decency, you will end this rather tedious cross-examination here!
: Hmm. It was a bit tedious. The witness may leave the stand.

: (No...! If I give up now, I lose everything... If I just give up the case, I'd be giving up the very reason I became a lawyer!)

Convergence.

: W-wait! Please wait!
: Yes? Does the defense have something to add?
: One last question... let me ask one last question!

: Your Honor, I must object. This charade of justice has gone on long enough!
: Now, now, Mr. Edgeworth. Alright Mr. Wright. I'll give you one more question, that's all.
: (Okay. This is really it, now. This is my last chance!)

: T-tell me about check-in! Tell me about when you checked-in Miss May.
: Oh, alright. Very well, sir. My first thought was that she was a beautiful, beautiful person. She's just my type of girl, so it was a disappointment, really.
: I see... ? Excuse me... what exactly was a "disappointment"?
: Well, I am not without charm, sir, but even I'd have little chance with her lover there.
: (...! What did he say!?)
: What did you say!?
: Ah! Oh... er... rather, quite!
: Bellboy! Tell us the truth now...

: T-tell me again about er... room service!
: A-again, sir? At exactly 9:00, I delivered room service to Miss May in room 303. The guest had requested ice coffee... $18 was the charge, as I recall.
: I see... ...?
: E-eighteen dollars? Doesn't that seem a bit expensive?
: Y-yes, well, ice coffee for two, you know. And we don't skimp on the ice, sir.
: (...! What did he say!?)
: What did you say!?
: Ah! Oh... er... rather, quite!

: Bed... bed-making! Tell me about making beds that day.
: I was wondering what you were going to ask, but bed making? A new low!
: Now, now, Mr. Edgeworth.
: The witness will answer the defense's question.
: Yes, well, it was quite like any other day's bed making. I changed the sheets, the pillowcases, and then I proceeded to make the bed. I had to bring pillows for two, of course, but they're quite light, you see.
: I see. Thank you. ... (Pillows... for two!?)
: Bellboy! What did you just say?
: Eh!? Ah, yes, pillows are light... sir?

Convergence.

: I object! That was... objectionable!
: ... Objection overruled. The witness will answer the question.
: Er... yes, I see.
: Why did you not mention this in your testimony!?
: W-well, sir, you er... you didn't ask!
: (Nice try!) That's the sort of thing you're normally supposed to mention!
: Ah, yes, quite. Indeed... It was the, er, good barrister there, Mr. Edgeworth, who...
: !
: He asked me not to mention it if I wasn't specifically asked, sir.

: Y-you fool!

: Miss April May checked into a twin room... with a man. Correct?
: Yes, sir.
: Then, when you brought them room service, you didn't see that man in the room...?
: That's right, sir.
: Hmm...
: Your Honor!
: We have just learned of another person involved who may have been the murderer! In this new light, I hold that it's impossible to judge the defendant. You agree, Mr. Edgeworth?
: Who! Who is this "other person"!

: None other than Miss April May!

: Eh!? Have you heard nothing that has transpired so far!?
: She has an alibi! She was in the hotel at the time of the murder!
: Oh... right.
: Mr. Wright!
: S-sorry, Your Honor! Give me one more chance!

: It was the bellboy and none other!
: Well, this comes as some surprise...
: Your Honor, Mr. Wright... It was the bellboy who confirmed Miss May's alibi...
: And this in turn confirms the bellboy's alibi! He was in the hotel!
: Well, s-sure... if you put it that way...
: I do put it that way, and I trust you will too!
: But what if they were in cahoots!
: You have evidence of this?
: Um... no, Your Honor.
: Mr. Wright!
: S-sorry, Your Honor! Give me one more chance!

: The man who checked in with Miss May!
: Oof!
: Your Honor! As has been previously revealed, Miss April May was tapping the victim's phone. Yet Miss May herself has an alibi at the time of the murder.
: However, that does not clear the man that was with her!

: M-my, what a convenient little setup... but it's too late...
: "Too late"? I suppose you'd like it if it was too late, wouldn't you...
: After all, it was you who hid the presence of the other man from this court!
: Oof! Upstart... amateur...! T-these accusations are... ludicrous!

: Enough!
: The court acknowledges the defense's argument. I expect the prosecution and defense to look into this matter fully! Am I understood?
: Yes... *gasp* Yes, Your Honor.
: That is all today for the trial of Maya Fey. Court is adjourned!

: You were amazing in there!
: R-really?

: Oh, I was just "doing my job" you know... heh heh.
: Then again, that other attorney was pretty cool, too...
: Huh?
: That face of his! With his eyes wide, and trembling lips!
: It sent shivers up my spine!
: Hmm... if you say so.
: So, what happens with me? Do I get to go home now?
: Well, no.

: Oh... I see.

: A "lead"?
: That man with Miss May! He's the key!
: Oh! I get it.

: Anyway. This case is far from closed.
: Yes sir!
: I'm going to find out more about this man.
: Do you think he was the one who...?

: Sis...
: Don't worry, I'll find him by tomorrow. I promise.
: I'm counting on you!

: I thought it might come in handy during the trial tomorrow. But now that I have it, I'm not so sure. Most of her testimony was all lies... In fact, there's only one part that got left on the record.

: I don't know how much good this will do me at all, now. Anyway, time to hit the pavement and do some investigating! Maya doesn't belong in that detention center, and it's up to me to get her free!

Next time:: Investigation!

Hawaii Rev. State, Section 263-9 posted:

263-9 Dangerous flying a misdemeanor; penalty. Any aeronaut or passenger who, while in flight over a thickly inhabited area or over a public gathering within the State, engages in trick or acrobatic flying, or in any acrobatic feat, or flies, except while in landing or taking off, at such a low level as to endanger the persons on the surface beneath, or drops any object except loose water or loose sand ballast, or paper handbills, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and punishable by a fine of not more than $1,000, or imprisonment for not more than one year, or both.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 9, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

: I object! That was... objectionable!

One of the greatest Edgeworth lines. :allears:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mors Rattus posted:

: , I'd be giving up the very reaosn I became a lawyer!

: Mr. Wright!0

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fixed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think my favorite thing about this is the implication that the Japanifornian Justice System will have its sacrifices, one way or another. Phoenix merely makes sure they're the actual guilty party.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Night10194 posted:

I think my favorite thing about this is the implication that the Japanifornian Justice System will have its sacrifices, one way or another. Phoenix merely makes sure they're the actual guilty party.

Phoenix Wright is actually a series of spinoff sequels to the Fatal Frame series. The spirits demand sacrifice, we can only hope to appease them with the correct ones.

Really cool development in this update. I'm very fond of the serialised nature of the first couple of cases; instead of one-and-done issues, they're feeding into future cases, making the player(/viewer) feel smart for remembering key details from a prior case. It helps the "OBJECTION!" feel more like a proper 'A-ha!' moment, rather than just rubbing items in your inventory together to get the right solution to the puzzle. I hope it continues doing this every now and then, although not necessarily all the time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Granted, it's still being fairly gentle on the player. We've already had at least two instances where you progress the story no matter what you pick, as well as the judge being pretty lenient on obviously-wrong answers... Something later cases in the series won't really be doing, to put it mildly.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Four years on, and I think this might be my most favorite exchange in videogames. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Edgeworth gets a lot of great lines, and we've only begun to scratch the surface. :allears:

Mors Rattus posted:

: This is outrageous! Does the defense truly claim that hte witness was tapping her phone?
: Absolutely!
: Even if that was the case, (which it's not) you still have to prove one thing! Did the victim ever say that the weapon was a lcock on the phone?

Few typos here.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fixed.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Mors Rattus: Are you ok with Ace Attorney anime talk until it passes the LP in a couple weeks (without mentioning the spoilery backstory scenes of course)?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The insane bias the courts in this game display makes me irrationally angry. :argh:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

whitehelm posted:

Mors Rattus: Are you ok with Ace Attorney anime talk until it passes the LP in a couple weeks (without mentioning the spoilery backstory scenes of course)?

Sure.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Polaron posted:

The insane bias the courts in this game display makes me irrationally angry. :argh:

This is nothing, just wait a few cases.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Polaron posted:

Does your irrational anger fill you with a burning desire to seek true justice because if so I think that is what they are going for.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Ok, I just wanted to say that I'm liking the anime so far. The first episode was a bit rushed but the second had a much better pace and I liked most of the changes. They seem to be toning down Phoenix's snoopiness; he stumbles across the wiretap on accident instead of deliberately sneaking back in to check through the drawers.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
I find it interesting that you are seemingly unable to bring up such questions as "Why would the defendant attack her own sister?", "How could she reach the victim's head when she is shorter than the victim?", "Why did she hang around after the deed was done instead of getting away?".

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Motive really isn't important in this court, no.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Mors Rattus posted:

Motive really isn't important in this court, no.

It is when the defense has to prove it. :v:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I didn't realize the Ace Attorney anime had started broadcasting. I will behind one week on it as there isn't really anything else that I want to watch on Crunchyroll. Even in Canada where the entire catalog except for currently broadcasting anime is locked behind the paywall.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jojo's is also on there, it's worth a watch.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
This game really shows you why "guilty until proven innocent" is a terrible standard, and why the concept of mistrials exists to cover cases where the defense lawyer behaves so badly that the judge loses patience and calls the trial over prematurely. (I know there are actual lawyers who use that strategy when the case is going badly for them as a last-ditch sacrifice effort, but in an ideal world, it only works once - EVER. Because the offending lawyer is disbarred immediately.) This is the trial by media standard of justice i.e. "The defendant wouldn't be in court if they were innocent." It works here only because the game wouldn't be as interesting or suspenseful if your side had the proper advantage, and because it's ultimately a narrative where that's all written into the story from the start. But as I always do in Phoenix Wright LP threads, I refer to an early Doctor Who episode to illustrate how wrong this basic concept can be. The characters have teleport wristbands in this episode and one happens to teleport into a museum where a heist has just taken place, involving the bludgeoning death of a guard. He, too, is knocked out by the thief, and is thus found at the murder scene, unconscious, with the weapon beside him. He's taken to trial for murder the next day, where the Doctor manages to prove that someone else in the courtroom was the actual murderer, but that man is executed before he can reveal the identity of the person who hired him. The court immediately claims that the defendant is the guilty party because he's the defendant and hasn't proved that he isn't, even though that assumption invalidates all the evidence that's been presented so far - the point of hiring someone to commit a crime is to establish an alibi by being somewhere else at the time, not being at the scene of the crime! But this is the sort of ludicrous logic that happens when illogic isn't enough and absolute proof of innocence is required - any farfetched scenario wherein the defendant could possibly find a way to commit the crime, or A crime at all, has to be conclusively disproven. Meanwhile, the real criminal can escape or cover any tracks that might remain in the unlikely event the defendant manages to prove their case, instead of the police doing the work needed to dig up all available evidence in advance to prove THEIR case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kopijeger posted:

I find it interesting that you are seemingly unable to bring up such questions as "Why would the defendant attack her own sister?", "How could she reach the victim's head when she is shorter than the victim?", "Why did she hang around after the deed was done instead of getting away?".

And that would be where Edgeworth would object and bullshit some semi-plausible hypothetical explanation that the Judge would basically handwave as making sense.

• Locked thread