Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

What I'm wondering is why there's no blood on the scrap of cloth when we clearly see that the victim bled all over his chest.

Poster living up to their name and going right for the brainmeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So... while impaled, he apparently wrote a girl's name on a vase in blood and then dropped it, to break it?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
With blood that only appeared after the handprint was torn from his jacket.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The amazing part is that everyone believes this is completely on the level. :allears:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The amazing part is that everyone believes this is completely on the level. :allears:

To be fair, everybody in the courtroom is more or less an idiot.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 5 - Rise From the Ashes
Trial (Day 4) - Part 12

: What's the matter, cat got your tongue?
: Aren't you going to tell us how it feels?
: How it feels to be the one who single-handedly turned a poor little girl into a murderer!?
: ...
: Before I do that...
: there's just one little thing I have to clear up.
: Oh? And what's that?
: Who really
: killed Prosecutor Neil Marshall.
: What!?
: Chief Gant, you are absolutely right.

: It was
: Ema Skye, wasn't it?

: I'm afraid that's not possible. You see, this piece of cloth contains
: a critical contradiction!

: What!? A contradiction!? What is this fool babbling about?

: I'm talking about a contradiction. One that proves...
: who the real killer is!

: M-Mr. Wright! This piece of cloth...
: What could it possibly contradict!?
: (Chief Gant, your tyrannical reign ends here!)

: And what exactly is this supposed to be...?
: This is the picture Ms. Skye took.
: Take a good look at it.

: Yes... His shirt is showing underneath.
: It's hard to make out with allt he blood on his vest, though.
: Exactly my point. His chest is soaked with blood. That's only natural.

: Oh! But that
: piece of cloth...

: AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!
: Since Ema Skye's fingerprints are on this cloth,
: there's no doubt that she shoved the prosecutor aside!

: However!

: No! Th-this is nonsense!
: Now then, Chief Gant.
: Let me ask you something. Prosecutor Marshall was not impaled when he was shoved aside.
: He most likely hit his head on the ground and was knocked out.
: If so, then tell me.
: Who could it have been? Who could have arrived at the scene before Ms. Skye,

: Hnnngngghgghh...
: Then, to make it look like Ema was responsble for the prosecutor's death,

: Then he broke the jar on purpose, to leave behind a clue,

: Remember what you admitted only moments ago?
: That you personally cut out this bloodless piece of the victim's vest?
: Ironic, isn't it?
: Through the very act of creating "insurance,"

: (It's finished.)

: Heh heh heh!
: Oh ho ho ho ho ho ho!

: That was close, Wrighto! You almost had me!
: !
: Sorry, but you'll have to do better than that. I refute your allegations.
: What do you mean, you "refute" his allegations?
: You see, that piece of cloth...
: is illegal evidence!

: Order! Order!
: What nonsense is this!?
: Illegal evidence cannot be used to convict a suspect!
: Remember, Udgey?

: You do have
: some conclusive evidence, don't you?
: ... Your Honor,
: I don't have any evidence I can present at this time.

: The defense did refuse to present evidence!
: At that moment,
: that piece of cloth ceased to be "legal evidence"!
: But that's not fair...!
: Hoo hoo hoo hooooo! Did you actually think you could best me in court?
: It looks like the last laugh's on you, son!

: I'm afraid
: Mr. Gant's claim is legally correct.
: Well, Mr. Edgeworth?
: True... Illegal evidence cannot be used to convict a person...
: assuming, of course, that the evidence is indeed illegal.
: Hmm?
: Well, Mr. Wright?

: Mr. Wright.
: Do you admit to it?

: (No! If I admit to that...)
: (all of my planning will have been for nothing!)
: It seems...

: If you're going to change your position,
: this is your only chance, Wright!
: (He's right...)

Which drops us at the right answer.

: Certainly,
: I refused to present evidence at one point.
: Aha!
: So the evidence is illegal!

: No it isn't, Mr. Gant.
: Huh?
: It's not that
: I "didn't" present evidence then...
: it's that I "couldn't."
: What do you mean, you
: "couldn't"?

: There are certain procedures involved when presenting evidence!
: No, Udgey! Don't listen to his lies! He's nothing but a coward!
: You can't let him?

: There is only one issue left
: to be resolved in this trial:

: Very well.
: Let us settle this once and for all.
: Earlier you refused to present evidence.

: This is my proof, Your Honor: "Evidence Law."
: What's this?
: I've done my homework too, Chief.
: Indeed, Ema Skye's fingerprints were on this piece of cloth.

: However! At that point in time, this was merely a piece of cloth, nothing more.
: What?
: You see, it's written right here in this book:
: The second rule of evidence law!

: ...!
: Rule 1: no evidence shall be shown without the approval of the Police Department!
: I found this piece of evidence myself...
: inside your safe. It goes without saying I did not have approval from the Police Department.
: Rule 2: unregistered evidence presented must be relevant to the case in trial.
: And
: here is the crux of the matter. You see, at the time it was impossible
: for me to prove the relevance...
: between the cloth and the SL-9 Incident.
: What!? What kind of nonsense
: is this!?

: That was shown
: only a few moments ago!
: No...
: He's right.
: At the beginning of today's trial,
: that piece of cloth was still meaningless.
: The person who gave it value as evidence...
: was you,
: Damon Gant.
: You yourself confessed to a certain "truth."

: On the day of the crime,
: you personally cut out this piece of the victim's vest?
: Oh, yes!

: It was then that you approved this cloth...
: as conclusive evidence.

: Yes! You, the Chief of Police, personally approved this cloth!
: The only person who could have cut this from the victim's vest...
: is the one who stood before Prosecutor Marshall in his final moments.
: In other words, the real murderer! And there's only one person who that could be...

: N... N...
: Mmph...

: For two years he's been snooping around the department trying to get something on me! Crimes are being committed everyday, yet he insisted on hounding me!
: Well, your crime wasn't exactly petty.
: He wanted to reinvestigate the case. He recruited Angel Starr,
: then convinced Bruce Goodman...
: Detective Goodman?
: Yeah,
: that's right.

: Please, you've got to help me!

: Still, Jake Marshall didn't know when to quit.
: He stole Goodman's ID card and tried to take the evidence!
: Goodman came to me
: that day.

: I went with him to the evidence room.
: Then all of a sudden he had to speak out!

Next time: Confession.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Great news! We finally got the Chief for murder! If only it was for the murder of the person who's trial we're actually in the process of!

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Is this...this might be the first time Phoenix has cited any kind of authority in court?!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

C. Everett Koop posted:

Great news! We finally got the Chief for murder! If only it was for the murder of the person who's trial we're actually in the process of!

Well, he seems to be about to confess to killing the relevant person.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

LeschNyhan posted:

Is this...this might be the first time Phoenix has cited any kind of authority in court?!

I think it might be! Our boy is becoming competent! :allears:

(Well, competent enough. Semi-competent. ... He does all right.)

And that is one heck of a breakdown there. And oh, so satisfying after all that drat crap he put us through.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The court only has rules when they're relevant for screwing Phoenix over. It only backfired this time because he happened to have a copy of Evidence Law for Dummies on hand.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Gant could have gotten away with it if he just shut up and left the courtroom.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Ironically the whole "you don't get to testify" didn't matter because he went and slit his own goddamn throat when he should have, by all rights, been told to sit his rear end down.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

kw0134 posted:

Ironically the whole "you don't get to testify" didn't matter because he went and slit his own goddamn throat when he should have, by all rights, been told to sit his rear end down.

He never made a formal statement that we could cross-examine.

That does bring up an excellent point as to why we could accept his statements on the cloth if he were no longer allowed to testify formally, but I guess the idea is that the Chief of Police formally approved the evidence and its circumstances regardless of whether he did it through testimony or just in front of the judge.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Grant still tries to pin Goodman's murder on Lana out of spite now that he's been caught for murduring Neil

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

SgtSteel91 posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Grant still tries to pin Goodman's murder on Lana out of spite now that he's been caught for murduring Neil

At this point, there's enough circumstantial evidence that not only is she vanishingly unlikely to have murdered him (the whole "she was pulling the body out of the trunk" thing), but that even if she were to have murdered him, it would have been because she was blackmailed by the Chief, and ultimate responsibility would be on his part, not hers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dirk the Average posted:

At this point, there's enough circumstantial evidence that not only is she vanishingly unlikely to have murdered him (the whole "she was pulling the body out of the trunk" thing), but that even if she were to have murdered him, it would have been because she was blackmailed by the Chief, and ultimate responsibility would be on his part, not hers.

Japanifornian Justice cares not from whence the convictions flow, only that they do.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Angel Starr cited evidence law for her presenting evidence that her boyfriend examined. Couldn't Phoenix have presented that evidence since he had Gumshoe's approval? I mean Gumshoe was recently fired, but he was an acting officer when they found that.

Also, Phoenix says that picture was presented a few minutes ago, but it was presented before Gant even came back. And he immediately noticed that the piece was cut out before Gant asked him to present it.

If I'm understanding the order of events:

* Gant comes across the scene of the crime.
* Cuts off the handprint on the jacket.
* Picks up Neil Marshall with superhuman strength and impales him on the sword.
* Uses his blood to write Ema's name on the vase.
* Breaks the vase and keeps a piece.
* Leaves.
* Lana shows up later.

Seems like a really easy plan to get wrong.

Also, given that he stumbles across this and immediately plots a way to blackmail Lana, he must've been waiting for an opportunity like that for a while.

ALSO, Gant's breakdown owns.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 25, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wouldn't it make more sense if Gant and Neil followed Darke together and Gant stayed back as Neil fought Darke?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Angel Starr cited evidence law for her presenting evidence that her boyfriend examined. Couldn't Phoenix have presented that evidence since he had Gumshoe's approval? I mean Gumshoe was recently fired, but he was an acting officer when they found that.

Gumshoe barely has the authority to give orders to the vending machines, and even then he has to bribe them with money that he doesn't have.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, Phoenix says that picture was presented a few minutes ago, but it was presented before Gant even came back. And he immediately noticed that the piece was cut out before Gant asked him to present it.

But the additional detail of Gant's having been the one to remove the piece was the bit that made it relevant to the case at hand. The entire Neil Marshall diversion has all been to establish motive for Gant killing Goodman. You just haven't played enough of these games yet to understand just how blatant a set of circumstances has to be before the judge (or Phoenix, for that matter) will accept them as leading to a conclusion.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
At this point the case feels like having a five year old tell you a really long and circuitous story that they're making up as they go along.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Double Plus Undead posted:

At this point the case feels like having a five year old tell you a really long and circuitous story that they're making up as they go along.

That's probably how most prosecutors feel about Phoenix, yes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nidoking posted:

You just haven't played enough of these games yet to understand just how blatant a set of circumstances has to be before the judge (or Phoenix, for that matter) will accept them as leading to a conclusion.

But I've played the entire series. :(

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If I'm understanding the order of events:

* Gant comes across the scene of the crime.
* Cuts off the handprint on the jacket.
* Picks up Neil Marshall with superhuman strength and impales him on the sword.
* Uses his blood to write Ema's name on the vase.
* Breaks the vase and keeps a piece.
* Leaves.
* Lana shows up later.

The dude isn't THAT heavy.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
People sometimes underestimate how hard it is to heft an unconscious body around, but Gant's a pretty big boy, for what it's worth. Better, non-corrupt forensics would probably reveal the wound's cause from being slammed down against the statue instead of stumbling into it, but we work with what we have here, I guess, which isn't a hell of a lot when Japanifornia is so insanely, brazenly corrupt that the chief of police can simply refuse to acknowledge evidence against himself in a trial.

E: Ganted, (heh), he's not supposed to be the one on trial here, but as failure states in other cases have shown, Phoenix doesn't have to meet the bar of 'beyond a reasonable doubt' in proving someone's innocence, he doesn't even have to meet the bar of 'conclusively prove beyond all doubt' someone's innocence; if the prosecution deigns to hold a trial, they WILL convict SOMEBODY, and if a lovely little defense lawyer can't drag a sworn confession out of the guilty party, it WILL be their client convicted even if they are proven, beyond all doubt, to be innocent of the crime in question. While this is done mostly as satire of both the US and Japan's real-world judicial system problems and to create tension in the video game and give you a clear win condition with high stakes...it's still INFURIATING at times.

It's going to be a dark, dark day for Phoenix when the guilty party simply refuses to implicate themselves, or when he's actually required to represent someone who's guilty.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 26, 2017

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Shady Amish Terror posted:

People sometimes underestimate how hard it is to heft an unconscious body around, but Gant's a pretty big boy, for what it's worth. Better, non-corrupt forensics would probably reveal the wound's cause from being slammed down against the statue instead of stumbling into it, but we work with what we have here, I guess, which isn't a hell of a lot when Japanifornia is so insanely, brazenly corrupt that the chief of police can simply refuse to acknowledge evidence against himself in a trial.

Well, also, remember that the forensics at the time did find that the wound didn't match the switchblade knife, but they really wanted to get Darke convicted, which is what started this entire mess.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Yukari posted:

Well, also, remember that the forensics at the time did find that the wound didn't match the switchblade knife, but they really wanted to get Darke convicted, which is what started this entire mess.

Exactly.

Honestly, Phoenix spends so much time swimming upstream he might as well change his middle name to 'Salmon'.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm still wondering why Gant did this? Just personal ambition? Didn't want Marshall to get the credit for catching Joe Darke, the guy who totally murdered all those people we just have no evidence?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Glazius posted:

I'm still wondering why Gant did this? Just personal ambition? Didn't want Marshall to get the credit for catching Joe Darke, the guy who totally murdered all those people we just have no evidence?

From what he's said, he somehow saw a chance to cement his ascension to Chief of Police, install a blackmailed puppet as Head of Prosecutors, and take out a pesky thorn in his side, all at the same time in a split-second decision.

Makes you wonder if Darke really escaped on his own...:tinfoil:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Gant is Darke :stare:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Edited out because may be too 'coy'

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 26, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 5 - Rise From the Ashes
Trial (Day 4) - Part 13

: Well, to be honest, I was a little panicked too.
: I had a bad feeling about it, but never knew it would come to this.

: I couldn't just pull it out.
: You would only increase the amount of blood and you couldn't finish what you started.
: Even so, the blood was just pouring out.
: I didn't know who might stumble in, so I was wiping it up. I was worrying so much about the floor,
: I didn't realize my mistake.

: I used to be known as the "crime computer"...
: But everyone has to start somewhere I guess. I was too nervous.
: I had no business doing any of it.
: Then you put the body in my car?
: I'm sorry! We couldn't think of any other way to move the body.
: We broke the trunk, but what's the big deal?
: You pull down a lot more than us detectives!
: Grr...

: W-what does this have to do with anything? You're horrible!
: How could you get Ms. Skye involved in all of this!?
: Well, she had as much to lose as I did if the truth came out.
: So you took the evidence from Detective Goodman's locker?
: I feel bad for having to do it.
: I couldn't sit around and pick and choose what to take.

: ... Yeah... It looks like I was better off being an investigator of crimes than a committer. They all did their best to get in my way... I've got to hand it to them,
: they do their jobs well... much to my dismay.
: Fake evidence doesn't hold up very well upon close examination.
: You must have known that...
: Tell me, Worthy.
: What are you going to do in court?
: Me?
: You despise
: criminals. I can feel it. You and me...
: we're the same.
: One day you'll understand. If you want to take them on alone...
: you'll figure out what's needed!
: Well, looks like
: it's time to say goodbye.
: Oh, Udgey.
: Wh-what?
: Looks like we'll have
: to cancel that lunch date.
: Sorry old friend!

: I'm sorry too, Damon Gant.
: I knew you as you used to be, long ago.
: You were once a fine investigator, and an example to others on the force.
: I'm sorry to learn that
: you are no longer that person.
: Those days are gone now, Udgey. Thanks for all the memories, though...
: Don't worry, you'll be fine!

: With these two around,
: you can't go wrong...
: You see, if I listen carefully, I can hear it right now...
: The sound of a new beginning!

: There are two things I want you to understand.
: Yes?
: First,
: your sister never hurt anyone.
: Second, Damon Gant betrayed you from the beginning.
: You see, Ms. Skye...
: you no longer have any reason to keep silent.
: You're right. When the trial is over, I'll tell everything.
: All that I've done these past two years...
: from the time I had Gant help me forge evidence, up until today.

: So...
: it seems all the questions raised in this trial have been answered.
: I'm sorry, Ms. Skye...
: I couldn't get you out of all your trouble.
: My, my. What high standards you have... for a rookie.
: I can see why Mia thought so highly of you. Who knows? A few years from now,
: you just might make it to the top.

: Ms. Skye...
: And to you too, Mr. Edgeworth.
: You've suffered every bit as much as I have over these past few days.
: Believe me,
: I know how much of an ordeal it's been for you.
: Hmph!
: It was nothing.
: (Liar...)
: I was worried the pressure might break you. And yet...
: you rose above it all and guided Mr. Wright to victory.
: You've done well, Mr. Edgeworth.
: S-stop it!
: I only did my job!

: In light of this case...
: it seems a good self-examining is in order for all of us.
: Ms. Skye.
: Yes, Your Honor?
: You are innocent of murder. However...
: Although the Chief blackmailed you, the fact is you still acted as his accomplice.
: A trial will be scheduled for these crimes at a later date.
: Yes. I understand, Your Honor.
: Is there something amusing about all of this? Why are you smiling?
: It's been a long time, Your Honor. A long time since I've felt free of these heavy chains...
: Well, this trial has gone on far too long already. Regarding the charge of murder,
: this court finds the defendant, Ms. Lana Skye...

: That is all. The court is adjourned!

: (At long last... It's finally over...)

: Why the long face? I'm sorry your sister didn't get completely off the hook, but at least she wasn't convicted for a murder she didn't commit!
: No, that's not it.
: Just now, after the trial ended...

: I owe you my thanks, Mr. Wright.
: And to you too, Mr. Edgeworth.
: You've suffered every bit as much as I have over these past few days.
: You've done well.

: But...
: Lana didn't say a single word to me.
: Hope I'm not interrupting anything.
: Oh...
: Guess I am.
: I'll come back later.

He starts to leave.

: Ah, Detective Gumshoe! What is it?
: You're doing this on purpose, aren't you? Making a detective run all around while on duty,
: and to top it off you call me here... I've seen happier people at funerals!
: Hey, lighten up, pals.
: I'm only kidding!
: Oh...
: Are you here because of my sister again?
: Nope,
: not this time!
: I came today because of
: you, pal!
: Me...?
: That's right.
: I thought you'd like to see someone.

: Lana!
: Should you be doing this? She's still under arrest, you know.
: Well, I won't tell if you won't.
: Ema...
: I owe you
: an apology.
: It's okay, Sis. Don't worry about it.
: That day, two years ago,

: It was all I could do to keep myself from screaming. All I could think about was keeping you from getting wrapped up in that mess.
: Sis...
: I asked Gant to help me cover up the "truth."
: I thought I was doing it for your sake... But now
: I realize I was wrong.
: I changed after that day.

: I knew how much I was hurting you by distancing myself...
: but I couldn't bring myself to tell you what I did. I... I was scared.
: Scared that you'd look at me with those eyes of yours. I was scared of how you'd react if you knew...
: But Sis! You were only doing it for me...
: No...
: I turned my back on you that day. In hiding what I believed to be the truth,
: I was deceiving you!
: Sis...
: I'm such a fool... It took me all this time to realize it. Ema...
: I'm so sorry.
: But Sis!
: You don't have to apologize!
: I'm
: happy now!
: You're... happy?
: Of course!

: You know, Sis, I always knew that one day you'd come back.
: And now you have!
: Oh, Ema... Ema!

: The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to your path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future.

: Mr. Wright. Mr. Gumshoe.
: M-Me?
: Thank you both, for all that you've done. I'm sure we'll meet again someday. Isn't that right,
: Edgeworth?
: E-Edgeworth...?
: Stop hiding and come over here.

: I just came to say...
: Congratulations.
: Thank you.
: Thank you, Mr. Edgeworth!
: Right. Well...
: I'll be going now!

He starts to leave.

: Mr. Edgeworth. I hope you don't blame yourself for what happened.
: We were the ones who acted corruptly,
: not you.

: ... It's too late for me.
: No matter what anyone may say, I realized today that
: I can't change my own mistakes!
: Mr. Edgeworth...
: Not only that, but I don't even trust myself anymore. Chief Gant was right...

: One day you'll understand. If you want to take them on alone...
: you'll figure out what's needed.

: I planned to dedicate my entire life to fighting them. But in order to fight crime alone, one needs a "weapon." It's scary,
: but I've been thinking the same thing for quite some time now.
: But Edgeworth...
: Who knows? Given enough time, I might have tried to pull something like Chief Gant did.
: That thought terrifies me. That's why
: I can't continue on as a prosecutor!
: Edgeworth... Don't you understand?
: Damon Gant and your mentor, Manfred von Karma...
: were both the best of the best when it came to fighting crime. But they both made
: the same mistake.
: You said, "in order to fight crime alone, one needs a weapon." That may be right,
: but think back to today's trial.

: You weren't alone.
: You were working together with
: Mr. Wright. And because of that partnership, you were able to present evidence that otherwise would have gone undiscovered. Isn't that right
: Mr. Wright?
: Huh? What? Oh, uh... yeah. (What is this, a pop quiz?)
: Come on, Mr. Wright! Show him what Lana's talking about!
: (Evidence...)

: Our counterattack began with this. You had one half of the evidence list, and I had the other. Apart, we wouldn't have been able to completely restore Ema's picture.
: That didn't
: just happen by "chance," Edgeworth.
: ...! ...
: It's time for me to go.
: Mr. Edgeworth...
: If you'll
: excuse me... there are still some loose ends that need wrapping up.
: Take care, Chief Prosecutor.
: Edgeworth! What will you do now?
: Well, whatever you do, just remember. What happened in this trial can either make or break you as a prosecutor. In the end, it's up to you.
: I know...
: It seems I owe you my thanks too, Wright. But what I face now...
: is my problem.
: Edgeworth... I'll be waiting for you in court.
: Farewell.
: I'd better be getting back too.
: Okay.
: I'll come visit you!
: It seems we both still have a lot to learn.

: "Scientific Investigation"...
: It's the first book I ever bought. Study it well.
: Thanks, Sis!
: I will!

: As for the sisters... I have faith.

: have only just begun. And as for me...

: A journey to rediscover myself.
: Well, don't go trekking off just yet, pal!
: Huh? What is it, Detective?
: There's just a little matter to be resolved about the Chief Prosecutor.
: You see, she isn't supposed to be out of jail like this.
: But...
: I thought you said it was okay.
: Yeah, well it may be "okay" with me, but the folks at the prison are a different story.
: Basically, I had to bribe a guard in order to sneak her out for 30 minutes.
: Believe me, it wasn't cheap either!
: Way to go, Detective!
: I didn't know you had a wild side!
: Yeah, well... ha ha!
: You see...
: Mr. Wright here's the one who'll be footin' the bill.
: Huh? Huh?
: What, you think I could afford that with my salary? You gotta be kiddin' me, pal!
: Huh? Huh? Huh?
: Thank you, Mr. Wright! You're the best!
: ... (Why is it... I suddenly feel like I want to scream?)
: Since we're all here, why don't we all go together?
: Yeah! That's a great idea! Come on, guys!
: Let's go!!!

And at this point, the game pauses. It will not advance to the credits until you activate the microphone and shout - because, remember, this is one of the options to...

Next time: Mid-credits sequence shortly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

: I used to be known as the "crime computer"...
: But everyone has to start somewhere I guess. I was too nervous.

You started with Neil, you goof.

Then again, he made a lot of errors there, too.

Also, we finally reached the ending of this thing. Looking forward to the JFA LP. :dance:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That case went on like 3 times longer than it needed to.

Like, the back part of it was pretty good, but I really can't call it a good case. Just too much stuff.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

e: nvrmind, need to think more

This case, for the record, went on about the length of a full Phoenix Wright game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Night10194 posted:

Like, the back part of it was pretty good, but I really can't call it a good case. Just too much stuff.
This echoes my thoughts pretty succinctly. Personally I feel that for a first time playthrough, it's better for people to play through 1-4, then go on to the next game and only play Rise from the Ashes after finishing the next game or two.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Christ, I did not remember this case being this long at all.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, I have to agree. The catharsis was pretty good (tsundere Edgeworth=best Edgeworth :3: ) but yeeesh, that was more length and convolution for an endpoint not too different from the last case. Feels really kinda unnecessary, in a way that the other cases don't, not even the 3rd.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I didn't recall it being so long either, but after the seventh update of Angel Starr's testimony, I was starting to get a suspicion that it might have dragged on more than I recalled.

Also, was it ever explained why Gant drew attention to the evidence locker room, incidentally? He intended to have Lana take the fall for the crime, so what was the point of directing everyone to the site of the actual murder and the stuff with Meekins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, was it ever explained why Gant drew attention to the evidence locker room, incidentally? He intended to have Lana take the fall for the crime, so what was the point of directing everyone to the site of the actual murder and the stuff with Meekins?

Maybe he was thinking that he would draw everyone's attention to the evidence room while Lana dealt with the body, but then Lana got caught and Gant had to stick to the story he created and that created a big mess.

• Locked thread