Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Textbooks are a common target for theft, actually; while not very portable, it's pretty easy to get away with snagging one and hiding it in plain sight on the average campus, and a LOT of less scrupulous textbook dealers don't even blink at someone dropping several hundred dollars of coursebooks in their lap while accepting steep markdown in order to get paid in cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, when it comes to murder-mystery plot stuff, this case seems to be engineered in part to set up the fact that Edgeworth is, in fact, quite competent. Ruthless, uncompromising, and an rear end in a top hat, but very competent.

He's also apparently willing to implicate a witness in, and make them confess to, other crimes in order to make his current case, which is amusing, but completely in keeping with what little we've seen of him so far; after all, he's trying Phoenix here, not explicitly defending White.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Exactly; it's a win-win!

Well, for him, at least. Phoenix would probably disagree.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, all I can figure is that the threat of having all his schemes collapse at once seemed far more threatening than just copping to a murder charge.

After all, blackmail really only works for as long as it's kept secret.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Killerman is Killerman.

Spoilers! The player is supposed to wrestle with whether they, themselves, could be Killerman. It's very deep, you see.

Speaking of which, I think the game has already given us a pretty serious clue in the dialogue, but I don't know if I'm remembering correctly. I suppose hunting around some more will show whether that's right.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

It's nice how she presents the photo for us completely torpedoes the photo as evidence and wrecks her own reliability as a witness so Phoenix doesn't have to explain how he got it.

Gotta say, I'm loving the court scenes all over again (what little I remember). It's no wonder Edgeworth tries so hard to coach them, witnesses in Japanifornia completely lose their minds on the witness stand.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
It's weird; this is a pretty lame bit of false suspense when you look at it from a gameplay or story perspective, but for some reason I just really appreciate Gumshoe depicted here as being, at the least, dedicated and effective at his job, if imperfect. I guess what the scene lacks in depth of writing it makes up for some in giving Gumshoe a little character development.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
With regards to the law,

https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Sasquatch-Ordinance-Actually-Dreamed/dp/1627222693?ie=UTF8&ref_=pd_ybh_1

Similarly, lots of fun to be had at the source as far as 'weird legal poo poo' goes. http://loweringthebar.net/

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I haven't read up on the history of that law in particular, but lots of stupid laws come into being for a wide array of stupid reasons. Laws concerning mythical beasts are sometimes passed purely as PR measures, sometimes just to shut up some vocal nutcase, and sometimes to discourage people from edge cases, which is probably part of the reason for the Bigfoot ordinance. Someone who wants to shoot Bigfoot JUST MIGHT take potshots at random people in the woods, and be discouraged from doing so if they know it's illegal to shoot Bigfoot (because if they believe in Bigfoot, there's a non-zero chance they will confidently %100 identify someone in a parka in the tree-line as Bigfoot).

The most important factor is usually how the law affects the governing body passing it, especially when it comes to city ordinances and the like; politicians will pass the absolutely stupidest most hand-wringing bullshit if it helps to more thoroughly cover their rear end in the event of someone asking 'well why didn't we have a LAW against shooting Bigfoot so these people won't take potshots at random humanoid figures in the woods???' It doesn't necessarily matter that a law against shooting at people randomly is redundant and probably ineffective.

Or they could just be nutcases themselves. A lot of crazy laws get passed all over the place.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
That's fair, but sometimes that reasoning is really goddamned nutty and hard to predict, especially the further down you get in population size. Which is part of what can make it compelling story-telling, I suppose.

I guess it's usually more contextually logical at the state or county level (in most states), even when you're passing ordinances declaring a state amphibian for whatever reason. I was raised in rural Kentucky, and individual towns will pass ordinances based on family feuds or the advice of travelling snake-handlers. And much of eastern Kentucky's counties basically are just one town, so I guess it's easy to forget counties are usually, ya know, substantial voting bodies.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Just guessing, but it would probably be a pretty boring series if you never defended a guilty person.

There's definitely a lot of loopiness with this gun; it might help if Edgeworth was volunteering a little more information, because right now the picture of these events is really goddamned hazy. It looks like the best Wright can do right now is to try and forestall Dracula's wrath.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
It's actually true of the real world that not all legal systems have the tool of discovery available, ie, the defense may NOT, in fact, know what evidence the prosecution may present. Most people are accustomed to the idea of the defense being allowed to, you know, see what they're defending against, but if I understand correctly even in some lower courts in the US you need to make use of workarounds because by-name discovery just isn't a procedure.

The prosecution very blatantly having control over both the police and the judges would tend to imply trials are largely for show, which is exactly what the game is trying to present (and isn't TOO far off of Japan's actual trial process). The fact that Phoenix has received a plurality of Not Guilty verdicts, much less an unbroken streak of them, is probably why Cravats Sr. is prosecuting this trial at all, in order to punish his understudy for failure and to punish Wright for his successes. Given the soap opera leanings of the series, I would even wager there's probably more to it than just that, but I can't reasonably speculate further until someone tells us exactly what the gently caress is going on here already poo poo. There are so many unanswered questions right now.

E: Also, concerning Cravatsula, I suspect he will become very vulnerable to attack once we've burst his bubble to reveal the urchin within; he seems like the kind of guy with something to prove, so I doubt he'd just have Wright thrown out of court until he had the opportunity to utterly humiliate and break him first. However, I also suspect that this will be sort of like jabbing a bear with a stick a few times and then, while running from its devastating bear-wrath, congratulating yourself on opening the bear to attack.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 24, 2016

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Figures I must have misunderstood it somewhat.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
We're dealing with full-on Cravatsula here, that's more of a Cravatsferatu.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, none of this lines up at all now. It's actually a little frustrating to try and suss out which 'gotcha!' the game wants you to aim at once there's this many revisions in the testimony. Two loud noises is suspicious and unexplained, her camera should have taken at least two pictures because of it, watching the boat doesn't agree with her running to get her binoculars which still doesn't explain why she would say she saw Edgeworth beyond the prosecution coaching her to lie...

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Everything continues to be fucky. Von Karma did specifically say 'from further than' a meter away, but I guess for now we trust the wording of the report that suggests the shot was from 'about' a meter away. This still doesn't explain two bangs, the gun being fired three times, or exactly what twist Edgeworth is hiding other than 'ominous foreboding about the repercussions of the Dl-6 case' and 'von Karma is a sketchy douche', which barely even registers as an open secret. Nor would it explain the absence of more pictures from the camera. Nor do we know anything about the nature of the next witness' testimony yet, nor even who they are, I think. So, uh, yeah. I guess we try to talk to Miles and Maya (and maybe Gumshoe if we can), and poke around the lake again.

And hopefully don't get threatened with death by armed thugs in on a criminal conspiracy. Again.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
The gamified judicial world of Japanifornia's legal system is pretty hilarious, in a darkly humorous way. It IS a moderate exaggeration of the Japanese legal system, where, yes, virtually all politicking and wrangling of evidence actually occurs before a trial, and convictions are virtually guaranteed (and a societal stigma against ever loving up at your job EVER discourages prosecutors from bringing charges that aren't slam dunks), but the Phoenix Wright world has also added an amazingly abusable time limit on the proceedings for dramatic effect. Such a system wouldn't actually function, which, uh, is actually getting demonstrated surprisingly well by the account of one plucky defense lawyer shooting down multiple cases in a row.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
That's pretty close to what I would imagine Gumshoe sounding like, admittedly, at least in musical adaptation.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
If your memory and eyesight are already starting to fail you, a little inebriation goes a long way.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I think the idea is that rubble entombed the elevator. Pretty valid reason to be scared of earthquakes after being caught in that. And, yeah, some of these clues are very heavy-handed; I'm expecting a couple more twists before things are resolved.

Also, I think the 'Age, Regret' track up there when the old man can't remember is accidentally linked to 'Grossberg' again.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Ah, fair enough. The title confused me I guess.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Crimes of passion and all that. It is still more than a little suspicious.

Also, haha, even the Judge seems to be getting tired of von Karma's sass finally.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, at least based on what we've seen so far, the judge is easily confused and can easily be swayed by a forceful personality, but the more you gently caress with him the more he starts pushing back. Mechanically that even seems to apply to Phoenix with regards to the strike system. As long as your wild speculation is plausible he'll contentedly follow along with your weird breaches of decorum, but if you start loving up or wasting his time he pulls to an abrupt stop.

I'm not sure if that makes him a well-written character or anything like that, but he does at least seem to be consistent.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix Wright is a good and fun murder mystery game. It is a terrible law simulator. :v:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
The von Karma response would probably be to glare until you either back down and assign a crime for him or, apparently, spend a decade planning an unnecessarily elaborate revenge.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Even in areas that aren't especially gun-crazy in the US, it's often quite normal for at least some guards to be armed. In my podunk college hometown, the front gate guardsman at the courthouse kept his personal sidearm on him more because he could than any particular need.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Everything I could have hoped for and more.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also poor Maya, still electrically charged from being tazed. She's a very good conductive medium it seems.

Boo this person. BOO.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Looking at this, I'm envisioning such insane alternate possible scenarios that I'm not sure I even want to speculate on the more reasonable scenarios, even though it looks like the game has given us enough to put together a logical chain of events. It's going to take some more testimony before the exact sequence of events is clear (IF that ever happens), and I'm just eagerly awaiting the drama.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
If the game is going where it seems to be going with this, von Karma's vengeance went from petty to petty and legendary and so God-Damned Crazy.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
To say that the Phoenix Wright games play it fast and loose with legal procedure is a bit of an understatement. In theory, she would now be tried for manslaughter (which she committed by accident as a small child), because Japanifornia, but that would be a separate trial.

Regardless there's still a bit of digging left to do here and now.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
That's just generally A Thing with the Phoenix Wright series, from what I'm aware of; we've even seen it earlier a couple of times, where simply proving that there's reasonable doubt isn't enough in the Japanifornia system and all trials are unbelievably biased and you have to slam-dunk every point and force confessions to make any headway at all. Now Phoenix seems to be unintentionally in the habit of tackling the problem directly (ie, corrupt/power-tripping police/prosecution), so some manipulation and push-back is to be expected.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
It is kind of magical just seeing how high Japanifornia law can stack poo poo. 'You can't use that evidence in proving a prosecutor's complicity in a crime, the prosecutor didn't acknowledge it in building the case (against themselves)!' 'You've definitively proved the innocence of the accused to the agreement of all present, however unless you can find and force a confession from the true guilty party in one day we're going to convict them anyways.' 'Tampering with evidence? Those kinds of laws don't really apply to police and prosecutors. Hell, as a defense lawyer, you shouldn't even be able to SEE what evidence we have, what are you getting at?'

Japanifornia is the worst of Japanese legal proceedings with just a hint of what might be terrible American practice in there as well, and if Phoenix keeps winning cases like this the social fallout of this system collapsing is going to be loving ugly.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Eh, Redd White's comeuppance was kind of close to that, if not as viscerally satisfying as seeing his 'customers' tear him apart themselves.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
...I am hoping that I merely lost the thread of this case somewhere, or this answer is silly.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
It really does feel like they want to keep twisting the knife at every opportunity to try and make you feel righteous indignation at how skewed and bullshit everything is, and the fact that you're having to swim up a goddamned waterfall to overcome it.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Motherfucker, you already gave up your right to testify, go sit with the bailiff until you're finally jailed, poo poo.

Revelations are now coming so slowly (and are being IMMEDIATELY second-guessed, which makes them feel unimportant), it feels like they're just intentionally padding out the case now.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
BUT YOU HID THE EVIDENCE
BUT YOU FORGED THE EVIDENCE
BUT YOU HID THE EVIDENCE
BUT YOU FORGED THE EVIDENCE
BUT YOU HID THE EVIDENCE I FORGED AND THAT PART ISN'T FORGED
Okay, here's the evidence, THAT YOU HID FIRST
BUT YOU HID THE EVIDENCE AFTER ME SO YOU'RE THE ONE IN TROUBLE

Having recently served on a jury, I can attest, trials do sometimes resemble playground arguments, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

He's Schrödinger's Protagonist, really; doing everything right with him shows off how cunning he can be, while getting it wrong reveals him as a massive dumbass.

In fairness, that doesn't seem all that inconsistent for Phoenix. He is a cunning dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
The game seems to have an extremely loose understanding of the concept of criminal conspiracy. Recall that a bunch of thugs appearing to make an inconvenient Phoenix 'disappear' wasn't even important enough to actually mention in trial against the person who summoned them at all. I'd be surprised if it's relevant to this case without making several more extraordinary leaps to tie Gant even closer to the crime.

• Locked thread