Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
People sometimes underestimate how hard it is to heft an unconscious body around, but Gant's a pretty big boy, for what it's worth. Better, non-corrupt forensics would probably reveal the wound's cause from being slammed down against the statue instead of stumbling into it, but we work with what we have here, I guess, which isn't a hell of a lot when Japanifornia is so insanely, brazenly corrupt that the chief of police can simply refuse to acknowledge evidence against himself in a trial.

E: Ganted, (heh), he's not supposed to be the one on trial here, but as failure states in other cases have shown, Phoenix doesn't have to meet the bar of 'beyond a reasonable doubt' in proving someone's innocence, he doesn't even have to meet the bar of 'conclusively prove beyond all doubt' someone's innocence; if the prosecution deigns to hold a trial, they WILL convict SOMEBODY, and if a lovely little defense lawyer can't drag a sworn confession out of the guilty party, it WILL be their client convicted even if they are proven, beyond all doubt, to be innocent of the crime in question. While this is done mostly as satire of both the US and Japan's real-world judicial system problems and to create tension in the video game and give you a clear win condition with high stakes...it's still INFURIATING at times.

It's going to be a dark, dark day for Phoenix when the guilty party simply refuses to implicate themselves, or when he's actually required to represent someone who's guilty.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Yukari posted:

Well, also, remember that the forensics at the time did find that the wound didn't match the switchblade knife, but they really wanted to get Darke convicted, which is what started this entire mess.

Exactly.

Honestly, Phoenix spends so much time swimming upstream he might as well change his middle name to 'Salmon'.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

In real Japan, aren't you guilty because innocent cases never reach the courts, and guilty until proven innocent?

The system is probably set up to mirror the US justice system (part of what makes Japan seem odd sometimes is that they had their society forcibly restructured to mirror the USA's during the occupation in a process that was kind of poorly-implemented). I have no doubt that, on paper, one is supposed to be presumed innocent until proven guilty, but everything I've read suggests that in practice you're right. Japanese courts have a conviction rate that looks absurd even compared to the US; Quick googling suggests that, while the numbers are skewed slightly because they include guilty pleas and the bargains they often entail, US Federal Courts have a ridiculous 93% conviction rate, and Japanese courts have a conviction rate CONSIDERABLY HIGHER THAN 99%. The linked material from Google suggests that low prosecutorial budgets are the primary reason since prosecutors are dissuaded from bringing any but the most obviously guilty persons before a judge, but I think that's more a symptom of some of the ridiculous expectations of career life in Japan, where it's generally expected in most fields that you be a perfect spotless god-like robot and any failure, even in what is ostensibly a field where success is not guaranteed like healthcare or the justice system, is considered a dark blemish and a sign of your incompetence, and you're supposed to just labor on for peanuts because that's just how it is.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

And it's even worse for defense attorneys. I remember reading some article on how the AA series lambasts the Japanese criminal justice system that noted that it's not uncommon for attorneys to go their entire career without getting a single win, in addition to being treated like pariahs.

Putting in that way made me only just now get the joke of having a spirit medium who can talk with the dead as your tag-along through most of the first game, since morticians/anyone who deals with the dead are social outcasts as well (and she's not even very good at it yet). You're basically the most disreputable possible pair of pariahs in all of Japanifornia, which probably is meant to lend even more weight to everyone's shock and disbelief at your temerity (and successes).

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
It turns out justice systems are hard.

That said, it's also pretty obvious that both the Japanese and US systems, at least, have plenty of room for improvement. And Japanifornia is just loving bonkers; Wright winning AT ALL, much less repeatedly, seems like it should be enough to send serious reverberations through that shitheap.

• Locked thread