Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

I would like to go through the entire series, including the Edgeworth and Apollo Justice games, and even the 3DS stuff, but that involves some technical magic I need to get done first.

.........Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

: Papers? Is that the evidence, then? Hmm, well... there's a possibility that it might turn out that way, yes.

I'm not sure if that last sentence was meant to be Mia's line or not.

Yes, the second half of that is Mia's line.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, it was supposed to be, anyway.

OH, I didn't realize that was a mistake in the game (didn't watch the video) so I thought it was something you were confused about.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Dr. Buttass posted:

I've only played the second game all the way through but there's at least one case where you conclusively prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that your client is innocent before you make any headway on fingering the real killer. If you don't find the real culprit before the judge gets fed up with your bullshit and says "I'm bored so the case is over now," your client is still pronounced guilty because they have to execute someone.

I don't remember this actually happening (and we should probably wait until the second game to talk about it). I do remember this coming up in other games but there's usually a good reason for Phoenix continuing.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Mors Rattus: Are you ok with Ace Attorney anime talk until it passes the LP in a couple weeks (without mentioning the spoilery backstory scenes of course)?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Ok, I just wanted to say that I'm liking the anime so far. The first episode was a bit rushed but the second had a much better pace and I liked most of the changes. They seem to be toning down Phoenix's snoopiness; he stumbles across the wiretap on accident instead of deliberately sneaking back in to check through the drawers.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Phoenix Wright does have one unfair advantage, namely he can present any incriminating object from within his coat pocket and the court has to take his word for it that he totally found this wiretap in the witness' hotel room, your honor.

To be fair, they do ask April May several times if she was tapping Mia's phone and she freaks out instead of saying "I've never seen that before". Phoenix even uses that reaction as more evidence.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I'm pretty sure Mia knew that Grossberg would help Maya with 99% of the legal situations she could get stuck in, and that's why she told Maya to go to him. Unfortunately she didn't predict that Maya would one day be framed by the one guy who was blackmailing Grossberg.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Dr. Buttass posted:

It's more that Edgeworth is convinced that everyone is guilty of something, so "innocent until proven guilty" and "guilty until proven innocent" are fundamentally irrelevant concepts; there's no point in either assuming or proving innocence because guilt is a foregone conclusion. As long as he gets a guilty verdict, it doesn't matter if they committed the crime they were actually tried for, because they deserved to be punished regardless.

Phoenix, conversewise, understands concepts like nuance, and punishment proportionate to the crime, and not all crimes being equal, and the fact that while from a very specific, narrow perspective Edgeworth is right, what most people are "guilty" of are minor social sins they may or may not have committed accidentally, and warrant more of a gentle talking-to than jail time and/or death.

Where do you get any of that? Edgeworth said right at the beginning of this day's trial that there's no way to tell who's guilty or innocent, so he makes sure all the defendants get declared guilty. He'd rather innocent people go to jail than guilty people being free.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Mors Rattus: Funderal directors?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Polaron posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that the photo is just going to be of someone in the Samurai costume.

Not that it'll matter to the police/court because WHO ELSE would wear that costume, huh?!

Technical Analysis posted:

I imagine it'll take 6 different objections across 2 different witnesses just to get folks thinking that maybe it could have been someone else in the costume.

Dr. Buttass posted:

I'm going to be real with you here: if this case goes anything like that book I mentioned, the fourth of those objections is going to be the first time anyone involved even heard anyone say it was theoretically possible someone other than Powers could have been in the suit.

Turns out not even Gumshoe was THAT dumb.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

meristem posted:

So why weren't these other people caught on the camera?

The camera wasn't turned on until 1:00. They didn't care about that before because they thought everyone else was at the Employee Area until then and the front gate was locked.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Aerdan posted:

Nah. I suspect nobody bothered to look earlier than that because obviously there were plenty of people there that morning. Generally you want a small suspect pool that gets smaller as evidence comes in. Neither Nick nor Edgeworth thought about the director and other crew because they don't really know much about how TV is produced, also, so naturally all assumed that the period from 1pm to the time of the murder was relevant.

I wasn't speculating. It's stated in-game that the camera was turned on at 1:00pm when Phoenix uses the computer to look at the photos.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Don't forget the actual question we're answering is why Cody looked away from the fight.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Phoenix Wright Trilogy is currently on sale on the US eshop for $16.49, and Dual Destinies for $11.99 until 8/18.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Geokinesis posted:

Is the DLC case meant to be done after the main game?

The DLC case is completely stand-alone and has pretty much nothing to do with the plot of the game. You should play it sometime after case 2 because case 2 introduces a couple characters but other than that it doesn't matter. I don't know why HenryEx said it was mandatory, it isn't.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

ManicVolcanic posted:

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on the gun-fired-three-times thing. It's a massive inconsistency with everything we know so far, so it *has* to be important, right?

The gun could've been fired in an unrelated incident days ago and hadn't been fully reloaded. We know it has to be important because this is a game and it was mentioned, but it's not really evidence of anything yet.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet but Turnabout Musical is going on stage In December (and will be uploaded to Youtube afterward). Also the full soundtrack has been available on the website for a while. Note: There are spoilers for the rest of this case if you haven't played the game.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Air is lava! posted:

Wait a second. Phoenix decided to start being a lawyer after Edgeworth was already working for so long that the newspapers started talking about him? Is law school in Japanifornia just a 2 week course?

Maybe it's just really easy to become a defense lawyer. If any slob starts doing that job, even more people might be declared guilty.

I can't give details because this comes up again later in the series but Phoenix had time to learn law. Not the length of time it would take in reality, but a lot longer than "weeks" and probably realistic for Japanifornia.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

IAmTheRad posted:

You need to take a look back at the second case.

Grossberg had a picture of Misty Fey on his desk that had DL-6 written on it.

The police requested Misty Fey's spirit medium powers to help in their investigation of DL-6. Grossberg helped with this. The police didn't want the public to know that the police used a Spirit Medium. Grossberg told White. White told the media. White decided to hold the dagger over Grossberg. Remember, the statute of limitations isn't over for the case, and it's still considered unsolved. Thus, Misty Fey was declared a fraud.

Remember, Yanni Yogi was declared insane. He couldn't be held responsible for murder. If the case was solved, there would be no issue with the statute of limitations.

You're misremembering Grossberg's initial involvement. After Yogi got declared innocent the police were the first to accuse Misty of fraud (either due to police stupidity or just to save face, we don't get much on this). Misty herself went to Grossberg who successfully defended her legally, but then sold what he learned from her to White.

So it's actually worse for her than you thought, but yeah all the information about Misty the public has access to says outright that she's a fraud, even if she was technically right.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Incidentally I think there was also a certain amount of witness suppression and evidence tampering going on, given that in the second game we're told some stuff about Fey family spirit channelling that means it would have been super obvious to anyone actually present at the seance whether or not Misty Fey was faking it.

Uh...are you talking about how Misty would've turned into Gregory Edgeworth? We've seen Maya channel Mia twice in this game; that isn't a spoiler even though you're being hush-hush about it. Only the police were there though, and they decided to keep the whole thing confidential.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

ProfessorProf posted:

Technically she's still alive for another 12ish hours.

Mia would be working on Labor Day.

Technically ~11 hours as of this post. The text box says 8:57 PM and the game takes place in LA.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

: I didn't wnat to believe it myself, Detective!

: (That will be hte key... but only if I can get it to work!)

: And until now, you thought htis memory was a "dream"?

: YEs. I'm sure of that. I heard the shot, and the scream...

Typos.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Air is lava! posted:

It's no surprise that they weren't really level headed, given the circumstances, but Yogi and the Edgeworths weren't acting really smart. They were panicking about suffocating in this airtight elevator, but didn't even consider breaking the (clearly breakable) glass.

The anime made the door solid with no windows to avoid that issue.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Dr. Buttass posted:

You don't clean evidence. That sort of defeats the purpose of it being evidence.

Yes, that's right; the fifteen-year-old bullet taken from Gregory Edgeworth's corpse is still crusty with his blood. Dare you to lick it.

You do if you want to be able to check the ballistic markings.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

There are currently six games in the series translated officially and one that has received a fan translation, plus a side game that crosses over with Professor Layton. The original games were on the GBA but came to America when they were remade for the DS, and later the 3DS. They've also had some iOS remakes, there's been a movie and an anime is in production.

It's seven games now that we have Spirit of Justice.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

The thing I hate most about this case:

The autopsy report states that Goodman died within a half hour before or after 4:00, so 3:30-4:30. Skye is seen stabbing him at 5:15 in the parking garage. Somehow I think this never comes up ever.

Read it again.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 16, 2016

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

There was, but remember where we found the cell phone - It was in the trunk of Edgeworth's car. How the hell would it have gotten there if she made a call by the emergency phone?

No it wasn't, it was on the ground next to the tipped over oil drum. Angel just said that Lana ran over there and kicked it over.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
In case anyone hasn't noticed, the center of Gant's tie and his buttons are police badges. We previously saw it on Marshall's poncho, Meekins's hat, and a very detailed version in Goodman's wallet.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

resurgam40 posted:

I figured the note would come up about now; that's a good time to show off the feature, "Hey, you can look at thing in a different angle, now!"

But this guy, though... I can't really get a read on him, and I begin to find his unflappable jocularity kind of off-putting, honestly. It feels like he's trying to lead us somewhere- but where?

Speculation: Goodman was totally killed in the evidence room and then moved to the parking lot, wasn't he? They want to make us think there are two bodies, but there's only one.

That wouldn't explain how the two murders both occurred at 5:15.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
In the meantime, Turnabout Musical Live is only 2 days away! Yes, it's that Phoenix Wright musical that you heard about in the previous LPs, now being performed on stage. They will be uploading a higher quality version later on so if you can't make the stream that's ok.

Spoiler Warning: While the actual plot is just the first game (not including the bonus case currently being LP'd), there are a couple cameos from the future games.

Going by the cast list it looks like Case 3 has been cut for time (it's still over 3 hours long) because Oldbag and Vasquez aren't listed. Also this is almost a completely different cast than the people that recorded the songs years ago for obvious reasons. They sound similar enough going by the rehearsal video on their channel, and Gumshoe's actor is still in.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Oh absolutely agreed. The perspective of the video makes you think Meekins put it right in front of the camera, not on the opposite side of the room.

There's a few frames in the video where "Goodman" is walking in front of the Badger before the camera pans away, but it's hard to catch that.

• Locked thread