Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
In California law, does selling chicken eggs as 'Boneless Chicken' count as misleading? It's not exactly wrong, but it's not exactly right either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I have played every Ace Attorney game on the DS. That includes Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (there's a fan translation for it, feels VERY authentic to what Capcom might have done).

I won't be speculating, as I know HOW a case is done, but seeing people's theories on cases is great. :allears:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I didn't realize the Ace Attorney anime had started broadcasting. I will behind one week on it as there isn't really anything else that I want to watch on Crunchyroll. Even in Canada where the entire catalog except for currently broadcasting anime is locked behind the paywall.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

"Your honor, I object! This witness revealed information that is very damaging to my case!"

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

yamiaainferno posted:

I can think of one very special witness that Phoenix has called. I'm really looking forward to it.

Oh that witness :allears:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: I would like to request one more day before Phoenix Wright is granted his freedom. I need time to make one more inquiry into this matter.
Got a misplaced portrait there.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

You know what you must do.

You must present the Badge to everybody.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Yes, the employee area is outdoors. It wouldn't make much sense to have a window in WP's room just into the employee area. Opening it would do nothing if the employee area was indoors.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Glazius posted:

I wonder if Powers ever actually showed his face at the studio. Was Wendy just ribbing him or did he actually stay in costume the entire time?

Wendy has seen Powers outside of his costume.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Gotta say, I'm loving the court scenes all over again (what little I remember). It's no wonder Edgeworth tries so hard to coach them, witnesses in Japanifornia completely lose their minds on the witness stand.

Coach them? You mean withhold vital information because it would be very damaging to their case.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Remember, in Japanifornia, Maya Fey loves Hamburgers.
In Calippon, Mayoi Ayasato loves Ramen.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The absolute worst case 3 is in AA2. But they make up for it in Case 4. 2nd best case 4 in the series.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

While cameras these days can be found on every cell phone basically, back when this game was originally made, camera phones were rare. If anything, they were terrible if they could take pictures. Lotta's camera obviously is a very expensive film camera, and those generally take a whole bunch of pictures at once so the photographer can choose the best photo when they are developing the film. Not a cheap buy a roll of film and throw it in a Kodak and hope the pictures comes out clear.

I will also comment on Lotta's accent in the anime. It sounded... off to me. Wasn't the same as most Japanese. I guess it was a Kansai dialect? I have no idea how to tell the difference.
In the anime, Lotta's camera also took only one picture when Maya set off the Popper.

The only reason why you see Larry and Grossberg at "work" is because in Japan, Christmas day isn't considered a holiday like it is in the western world. I doubt that Grossberg lives in his office.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I believe that they can use Margarine in Nova Scotia without any issues or signs in a public place.

How would you enforce a law like that anyways?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Phoenix Wright must Reach Out To The Truth.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Third game has the most fabulous character

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

You need to take a look back at the second case.

Grossberg had a picture of Misty Fey on his desk that had DL-6 written on it.

The police requested Misty Fey's spirit medium powers to help in their investigation of DL-6. Grossberg helped with this. The police didn't want the public to know that the police used a Spirit Medium. Grossberg told White. White told the media. White decided to hold the dagger over Grossberg. Remember, the statute of limitations isn't over for the case, and it's still considered unsolved. Thus, Misty Fey was declared a fraud.

Remember, Yanni Yogi was declared insane. He couldn't be held responsible for murder. If the case was solved, there would be no issue with the statute of limitations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The fact that elevators aren't airtight in the real world and thus Yanni Yogi should not have suffered from oxygen deprivation?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

We have hit the halfway point of the anime in terms of gameplay now. The first 12 episodes are all the first game's cases. There is no Rise from the Ashes in the anime.

I do wonder what the script changes are in the 3DS/iOS trilogy are that take into account Rise from the Ashes.

Case 4 is the best of this game. 5 was a bit of a nice bonus to show off some features that the GBA games could not possibly handle.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Jabor posted:

So why does she have burgers on her hat anyway?

Those are jelly donuts. Haven't you ever seen Pokémon?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Rise from the Ashes was the first specific DS case. It does use some features the GBA couldn't pull off at all. We've seen it in the intro of the case with the animation.

The other games in the GBA trilogy that were localized to English didn't get any specific new content, besides the dual screen functionality.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I used a flip phone up until June. I even had the Silver Samurai as my ringtone. I changed to a smart phone because my cell provider is ending CDMA service in January. I got a discount on the phone on top of the discount for getting the phone on a 2 year plan. I use the Silver Samurai orchestral song as my ringtone now for numbers not in my contact list.

You can still buy a flip phone. There are ones that have LTE service compatibility. They are really inexpensive. They probably are more worthwhile if you are on vacation somewhere and just need a phone, and don't want to deal with roaming fees and all that.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

CVE posted:

That makes sense. Silly dense me. Also the live action adaptation of Ace Attorney is pretty decent and is available on Netflix (at least in Germany but I assume the same elsewhere). and deals mainly with the 2nd and 4th case if I remember correctly if people want to check that out.

Not available in Canada.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I believe the Ace Attorney anime was made to celebrate 15 years of Gyakuten Saiban.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

A court appointed attorney would probably just be there so there is somebody to warm the seat. I doubt those cases last too long.

The reason Von Karma had so many victories is that he faced court appointed attorneys most of the time. His only penalty was when he faced a competent attorney.

It'd be like an athlete being undefeated because he only races against 5 year olds.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

Theoretically, and if this was taking place irl, couldn't Edgeworth simply invoke his right to defend himself, and then do a crap job? Unless the judge declared Edgeworth mentally unfit to defend himself, and Uncle Phil's in no position to do that, Edgeworth isn't actually required to have counsel representing him, but that it is readily available so should he desire and/or be unable to secure it on his own.

Then again, in Japanofornia everything may go inside of a courtroom except not having a lawyer, which is the one sin that will not be forgiven, or something.

In Japanifornia, Prosecutors are not allowed to be defense attorneys. You're one or the other, not both.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Aerdan posted:

What AlphaKretin said, but it also enables people to learn how trials actually work. (Hint: it's generally not like it's shown on television, and that includes Judge Judy, who is an arbitrator dealing directly with schmucks.)

Judge Judy is not an example of a proper trial. Having an arbitrator is cheaper than actually taking the case to a real court. The contracts you sign to appear on Judge Judy probably would have harsher penalties to break than if you actually take the case to an actual court.

What you see on TV and movies when it's a courtroom drama isn't even close to what an actual criminal court is like in Canada. A case like almost any in the Ace Attorney games would get widespread attention, but only the results would be broadcast. You do want to bring your family to a court to get closure.
Also remember that Miles Edgeworth wanted to become a defense attorney like his father. He was probably interested in the court proceedings and sat in the gallery soaking up the atmosphere. I doubt he was Gregory's assistant.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 16, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

This case takes place between Turnabout Goodbyes and Justice for All.
It takes place two months after Goodbyes, in February.
The next case in the series takes place at the end of June.

Phoenix did nothing for those few months.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

In Japanifornia, sentencing happens later. Just because Phoenix finds the real culprit for a crime doesn't mean that the judge has the authority to give a sentence to someone who wasn't on trial in the first place.
The trial for the murder in those cases would basically be thrown, as they already have been found guilty for the crime in another court. Only a fool would take the case and try to appeal the original sentence.

And yes I know the third game exists.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Wonderslug posted:

The guard station is upstairs and the partition is only (IIRC) about six feet high. No one else needs to have taken the photo since she was in B block--just five minutes later than she originally claimed.

A statement in court cannot be used as evidence.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

It's a poll on Twitter about ladders and judging things based on narrow minded cultural assumptions.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

We have a confession, why would we need a motive or to possibly consider the fact that the Chief of Police publicly threatened her before her testimony? :downs:

We're Lana's defense lawyer. You want her to be found innocent. It's Phoenix's job.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Don't go watching the Ace Attorney anime to see Rise from the Ashes. It just doesn't exist there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I would say if you are going to play the other games, make them each their own thread.

• Locked thread