Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Nice to see a new Phoenix Wright LP. Hopefully the curse will be overcome, because these are some great games.

Sorbocules posted:

California Food and Agricultural Code 26991 posted:
It is unlawful for any person to immerse or soak the carcass of any slaughtered rabbit in water for a period longer than necessary to eliminate the natural animal heat in the carcass and in no event for a period longer than 2 1/2 hours.

Wouldn't this make a rabbit stew illegal? Unless there are subsections to allow for the addition of other flavors, or they define carcass as specifically whole somewhere else in the code.

I'm just guessing here, but I'd imagine that the intent of the law is to prevent some dingus leaving animal carcasses to rot somewhere that might be connected to the water supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Legal ethics aren't really a thing in Japanifornia, no.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Edgeworth is great. Just look at that dismissive headshake, it's so drat condescending.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
While I don't think that anybody here is calling for it, the problem with having a "realistic" legal system simulation is that 95% of the stuff that goes on in the legal system is pretty drat boring IRL, even when it comes to high-stakes murder trials. So while the legal system in Japanifornia is indeed pretty absurd, it at least makes for a better puzzle game than Phoenix Wright: Ace Paperwork Filer.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mzbundifund posted:

Phoenix Wright does have one unfair advantage, namely he can present any incriminating object from within his coat pocket and the court has to take his word for it that he totally found this wiretap in the witness' hotel room, your honor.

He also gets to badger the witnesses something fierce, all things considered.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
True, but on the other hand I believe that you're not allowed to accuse someone on the witness stand of being the real killer on the basis of their testimony either. Then again, IANAL.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
To be fair, that small child is a bit of a poo poo.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It seems like he could have tripped over the railing and turned around in mid-air.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think you have the wrong portrait for one of Gumshoe's lines near the end.

Also Gumshoe is the best, and this here proves it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

yamiaainferno posted:

Edgeworth is the best. He's a good guy under all the pomp and snark.

You say this as if the pomp and snark aren't a major part of what makes Edgeworth a good guy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

resurgam40 posted:

-The heck? You show Grossberg the attorney's badge... and he compliments Mia? All right then.

I think he's complementing Maya there.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

The cravat is probably an honest mistake, given that's what you call a necktie in German.

Everyone's probably too scared of the shouty German jackass to correct him. That's kinda how he comes off here; I'm a little disappointed in him so far. He just seems like an rear end in a top hat rather than imposing or impressive.

If everybody is too scared to correct him I'd call the man imposing.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Added Space posted:

Also, why does the Australian tax minster need reality warping powers?

IANAL, but I'd suspect that it has to do with cutting deals in cases of tax evasion or stuff like that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's used that way in Swedish as well in some cases.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MegaZeroX posted:

I never understood why "I can't believe he's dead" is supposed to be evidence of clear guilt. Even if he is innocent and only saw it happen as the defense says, he would still say the same thing, right? He could have been going to find a phone and call the police. Is this a weird translation error or something?

If everything else in the testimony stands, it's very incriminating. Why the rest of the testimony should stand is an open question though.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'd argue that this here scene stands out as one of the rare cases of extremely sloppy writing in the series. Of the many bad decisions you could make in this situation the one you have to do to progress really stands out as the stupidest one humanly possible, and the game forcing you into it to move the plot forward is just bad and dumb.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hell, at least during the last few times all Phoenix had was suspicions that Redd White or Dee Vasques were involved in the case somehow. This one takes the cake due to literally having decisive evidence in his pocket that the person he's confroting had instigated murder.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think we can conclude that von Karma's memory is exactly as good as it needs to be to remember everything that's helpful for his case.

Besides that, I kinda like this twist. At the start of the trial von Karma tries to bulldoze Phoenix and win by default, but then we find out that he had a backup plan if it came to a real trial and now it turns out that he literally had a backup plan for his backup plan. That's some next level planning right there, and I find that it shows von Karma as an effective opponent really well.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sylphosaurus posted:

Japan must have some really fancy lawyers since I actually believed that this woman was some kind of top brass in the armed forces at first look.

Prosecuting people is serious goddamn business in Japanifornia.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Malah posted:

Which is why the dress code for Japanifornian court seems to be "circus routine," right?

I dunno. Compared to some real-life uniforms Lana's outfit is actually kinda vanilla.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

Gumshoe elevates every single scene he's in, pal.

Did they ever, say, do a game where it's a buddy story about Edgeworth and Gumshoe solving crimes, because that would be fantastic.

They did two of them, actually. They're called Ace Attorney Investigations I and II.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mors Rattus posted:

It's been a while since you've had to...but can you spot the contradiction?

Since I haven't actually played this particular case I'm going to guess that while the photo is of Lana it sure doesn't look like a photo of the exact moment of the crime.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Leif. posted:

If she had a premonition that there was going to be the attack, how was it "too late" for her to stop it by the time she realized?

I'm sure that's not actually the "right" answer, but it was my first thought.

I dunno, it does fit the Phoenix Wright pattern of nitpicking every minor thing that seems odd until the witness slips up.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Iny posted:

Well... yeah, there sure was a solid wall directly in between Starr's reported location and the telephone antics she claims to have witnessed.

EDIT: I like how the prosecution has helpfully provided a blood-red pin stamped with the first letter of the word "killer" for us to mark our defendant's location with.

I'm thinking this too. The other possible contradiction is that it was established earlier that there was no record of a call made on Lana's phone on the day of the murder.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FAT BATMAN posted:

Come to think of it....just how quiet can one legally make a death, as a matter of public record? Like, if someone died, at the very very least, there must be some law making death certificates public right? Are there any laws about death certificates needing to be made within X amount of time after the body is declared deceased?

That depends on how competent your secret police is.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So how is Meekins supposed to have murdered the victim while unconscious?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CaptianKatsura posted:

The contradiction is the broken knife tip, which I consider to have more of a connection to the broken knife than to the autopsy report. It would be pretty easy to make both pieces work, since they point to the same thing, and the series even does that at certain points, but it's weird they don't do it here.

But that's only a contradiction because we know that there was only one stab wound from the autopsy report. For example, if the victim was stabbed twice the knife could have broken on the first stab and Ema saw the second, which is not a contradiction.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think I've figured out what actually happened in this case. Will be interesting to see if I am right.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

resurgam40 posted:

Wow, Gant is turning nasty, now that the heats on him. Very casually dismissive of the whole thing...

As for what the evidence is... Is it the stuff we found in the safe- the pot fragment and the hand-print? Both of those implicate Ema, and he had them locked up, so I''m pretty sure that ties him to the forgery...

Yeah, I'm thinking this too.

Mikl posted:

OH COME THE gently caress ON :mad:

Just subpoena the motherfucker :mad:

What, you think that people are equal before the law in Japanifornia or something?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What I'm wondering is why there's no blood on the scrap of cloth when we clearly see that the victim bled all over his chest.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The amazing part is that everyone believes this is completely on the level. :allears:

To be fair, everybody in the courtroom is more or less an idiot.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

They also didn't have trial by jury until a few years back.

To be fair, trial by jury is pretty rare worldwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

If you can't trust all twelve people to distance themselves properly, you sure as gently caress can't trust just one.

You probably can if the one person is an experienced professional obliged to follow ethical and legal guidelines in their work as opposed to twelve randos who are there for one case.

FoolyCharged posted:

Plus a jury is selected from citizens, not the government, so it's a bit of a defense against a rampaging government throwing people in the clink for no reason.

If the state is willing to run roughshod over the rule of law they would certainly not be above simply strongarming the jury members to get a guilty verdict. This happened quite frequently in England before sometime in the early 19th century.

Besides that, the US has a jury system yet it throws far more people in the clink than other western nations, so the empirical data doesn't support that juries would offer much protection.

• Locked thread