Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The reason this first case reveals the killer at the beginning is because they wanted you to get into the right mindset for the game and not necessarily focus on the whodunit, but the howdunit, and just taking the whodunit out of the equation early on keeps your focus on that mode of thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, Ace Attorney has never claimed to be an accurate portrayal of the American legal system, they say as much in the manual. It's definitely based more on the Japanese legal system, being a Japanese game. They kinda explain it by saying it's the near future of 2016 and due to an increase in crimes, the legal system was reformed to crack down, but it went too far.

It's really gonna be in your best interest if you just stop worrying about legal accuracy, because it's only get worse and worse for you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hearsay is that the first game was pretty culturally neutral to ease localization, but since the games weren't localized until after 3, they just leaned into it after that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Later in the series, it's implied that there are preliminary hearings where initial evidence is submitted despite trials happening the day after the crime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Not that I know of. The game was originally conceived as a game where you played a detective who was accused of a crime and had to represent himself, but the creator Shu Takumi eventually decided the whole detective aspect was superfluous.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gumshoe had a livable wage before he met Edgeworth.

Also, that note Maya gave you is your official tutorial on pressing, as this is the first time in the game you're required to do it. You can get through 1-1 on objections alone.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

No, prosecutors just literally have the power to cut the salaries of detectives in Japanifornia.

That or Edgeworth has that much influence.

It's the former, as prosecutors in Japan do tend to have a lot of sway over the police.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And it's also important to note that while Japan's legal system is pretty rough in real life, it is exaggerated a bit in AA for dramatic and comedic effect, as well as gameplay reasons.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Little bit of trivia: This part was originally where April May was to be first introduced, and Phoenix had quite the reaction to her. It's still in the game's files, in fact!

The animation was cut when April's introduction was moved to the investigation stage, where Phoenix has no sprites.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You don't have to worry about that. The Thinker being in both 1-1 and 1-2 is the only time something like this really comes up in the main series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

At the end of the first case the judge is like "I've never seen anyone prove their client innocent so fast and also find the real killer at the same time" and that goes out the window, like, instantly. I've only played the second game all the way through but there's at least one case where you conclusively prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that your client is innocent before you make any headway on fingering the real killer. If you don't find the real culprit before the judge gets fed up with your bullshit and says "I'm bored so the case is over now," your client is still pronounced guilty because they have to execute someone.

This is also kinda for gameplay/narrative reasons, because it wouldn't be a satisfying mystery if you didn't find out the real culprit, and you still need a failure state even after you've proved your client innocent and I guess they just couldn't program anything special for it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

In the Japanese version, instead of saying pal, Gumshoe would kinda slur the end of his sentences together. Like "nan desu ka" would become "nanssuka"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

I hope when the anime gets to this point they have Phoenix guess Grossberg and White are lovers. Who doesn't pick that option? :allears:

It aired today. They didn't have the scene of Phoenix confronting Grossberg, instead Grossberg came to Phoenix and asked him to investigate Redd.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, Redd White's Japanese name is Masaru Konaka, which means "Small Medium Large"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Aerdan posted:

Mia clearly didn't consider any circumstance in which Grossberg'd be unable to come to Maya's assistance.

They've spent quite a lot of time together. She knew Grossberg would pull through somehow.

"Ah, the days of my youth, like the scent of fresh lemon," you see.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't think Mia knew Grossberg was under Redd's thumb.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They address it in the anime, where the Judge is all "Hey, you look kinda different," and Mia's like "Actually, I don't," and the Judge goes "Well okay."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Glazius posted:

So apparently blackmail is legal as long as you do it in the courtroom?

Statute of limitations runs out when the perpetrator dies, and that applies to crimes committed after the fact.

What are they gonna do, arrest a ghost?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

2005 is a thing we allowed to happen, people.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's probably just to keep the mystery simple, but yeah, it's kinda weird.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Poor Penny. During development, her name was an afterthought and it was considered impressive for you to remember it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it's just the Diva part.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Who is Penny? The Assistant Girl?

Yes, and this is the point exactly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

: But that's my card! By offering me something I already own, you're in effect eschewing the very basis of our consumer society, namely the principle of fair trade! Man, for a grown-up, you sure are dumb!
: (W-what do they teach these kids in school these days!? Quantum physics!?)

A good exchange.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The woods are so dense only a child can squeeze between them.

Are you accusing a child of murder?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The whole thing was really a justification for the cases to be a reasonable timeframe rather than having them be stretched out over months like a real murder trial would be.

Also, I think the secondary trial is just a sentencing hearing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think perjury is brought up a couple times, but I guess it's not an issue because the witnesses usually end up telling the truth anyway or are a murderer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

Huh? I guess that ribbon around his belly must be really tight.
Also why is Sal still in business? He was complicit in a framed murder.

He probably just has a creator credit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The most effective murder weapon is time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

resurgam40 posted:

Japan is certainly such a world... Christmas over there is pretty much just an excuse to party and visit KFC for most folks; no point advertising to the ~1% of people for whom it is a religious holiday.

And the whole tradition of KFC is entirely the result of a single marketing campaign that for some reason worked REALLY REALLY WELL.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I guess Maya can't go to Mardi Gras.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You can probably guess that our afro'd friend here was from Osaka with a Kansai dialect in the original Japanese.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can't believe this game had Day 1 DL-6.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

: "Just after midnight," you say?
: In other words, it was no longer Christmas Eve... but Christmas Day!
: Huh? Uh, yeah, well, yes.

This exchange made it into the film adaptation and it's one of the best scenes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't care how much resolution film has, that enlargement is some Blade Runner zoom enhance bullshit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cindy Stone died approximately 3 hours ago today.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/760882992273235968

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The "Uncle" tag is kind of a weird misstep in the translation of this series. The original Japanese tag had to have said "Oji-san," which does mean "uncle," but is also used as a general term to refer to men around middle age.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

quote:

This one textbox is the sole foundation we use to lay out the entire Ace Attorney timeline. This is literally the only time a specific year is mentioned in any of the games. Every other time an event from the past is brought up, it's in relative years ago. I didn't even think Capcom had acknowledged the timeline until they started talking about it when it began in real time.

Also, the live-action movie, despite being set in "20XX," has a DL-6 evidence tag show the crime as happening in 2012, the year of the movie's release, making that movie take place in 2027.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hey, I think it was three years ago one time.

And then there was five years ago.

Also, the timeline isn't exact due to each game's tendency to treat every event of the previous game as happening a flat year ago, despite the dates the cases take place in. So each character is aged up a year without thought to birthdays, and sometimes you have things referred to as "a year ago" that were more than a year and a half ago.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 14, 2016

• Locked thread