Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I never did get around to playing the Phoenix Wright games, so I'm happy to see the quality this LP is shaping up for and eager to see more. Good luck beating the Curse, Mors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Ohhh, it was the victim's passport. I thought it was Larry's, that she was using it to keep track of his time to speak to him.

Yeah, that's a nice first case. And an innocent verdict, finding the killer, having a toupee thrown at you, and seeing the killer froth at the mouth like he just took TV cyanide - if that's where the escalation starts, then I'm definitely eager for more. Just how deep is this rabbit hole?

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
"Japanifornia is totally just Japan"? Obligatory Awkward Zombie link. Katie Tiedrich has a lot to say about Phoenix Wright and friends.

I do love the translation so far, though. Unless Edgeworth's bio had that Terminator reference in the Japanese version too, in which case it's just the overall game dialogue that's wonderful.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Does Japanese law actually allow lawyers to say "This is totally evidence, trust me, I picked it up at the witness' hotel room yesterday", or is that just a game conceit? A lot of bits in this update screamed 'foul play' as far as western legal systems play out, massively stacking the deck against the defendant, but no moreso than something like women being buried much deeper for a stoning than men are. Trying to use the wiretap as evidence seems like it wouldn't work even there, though.

...Although, even as I type that, I'm pretty sure that in a lot of places there would be no problem with the prosecutor doing that, just as long as it's not the defence. Now I'm bummed out.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Night10194 posted:

I think my favorite thing about this is the implication that the Japanifornian Justice System will have its sacrifices, one way or another. Phoenix merely makes sure they're the actual guilty party.

Phoenix Wright is actually a series of spinoff sequels to the Fatal Frame series. The spirits demand sacrifice, we can only hope to appease them with the correct ones.

Really cool development in this update. I'm very fond of the serialised nature of the first couple of cases; instead of one-and-done issues, they're feeding into future cases, making the player(/viewer) feel smart for remembering key details from a prior case. It helps the "OBJECTION!" feel more like a proper 'A-ha!' moment, rather than just rubbing items in your inventory together to get the right solution to the puzzle. I hope it continues doing this every now and then, although not necessarily all the time.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, in real life I would be extremely suspicious of Edgeworth himself for a position like that. "Everyone in the world has done a murder they haven't been convicted of, or something equally terrible" is the kind of belief that implies more about the belief-holder than the subjects; and if instead it's "Murder == adultery == jaywalking == graffiti" then that's just as troubling, in a more psychopathic way.

Good thing he's the bad guy (here) of the lawyers.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

V. Illych L. posted:

also you know her sister's a medium

Yeah, this is the main thing. It's already been stated that there are people who talk to dead people, so it's internally consistent, foreshadowed, and appropriate; we're okay with it. It's actually a much easier pill to swallow than the "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GODS" trial format in Japanifornia, since that hits a sort of sociopolitical Uncanny Valley (or maybe just makes us uncomfortable with how nearly true-to-life it is).

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I know this is being played as a joke, but how many people in Japanifornia get accused of murder and have to deal with people saying stuff like this to them all the time?

Only about 1%, judging by the conviction statistic. The other 99% have an entirely different problem to deal with, for a much shorter period of time.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
That was pretty fantastic.

It's an interesting dilemma, though. Although they haven't successfully shown the defendant's face, they've presented a narrative in which only two other people knew he had a sprained ankle, of which one is the victim and one is the witness, so nobody has any reason to fake a sprain while framing him. Well, nobody except Oldbag, who is not likely to want to murder Hammer and should only be provoked in an absolute emergency.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Glazius posted:

Phoenix, please don't start accusing a primary-schooler of murder.

Don't worry, for juvenile offenders the death penalty only lasts until eighteen.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

darealkooky posted:

Does being a lawyer mean you just get to steal stuff all the time and get away with it? The wiretap in the last case could be excused as phoenix just taking a picture, but stealing the keys off a security guard to open up a locked and private room?

To be fair, that is literally the only way defence attorneys can fight their cases in Japanifornia, since he's not being granted access to those places and objects normally, so I'd say he should get a medal for those thefts.

Then he can show the medal to everyone he meets, and get nothing but confusion and disdain in response.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

hopeandjoy posted:

:ssh: We don't know that yet.

See, I assumed Valentine was just playing with an old trope, Very Serious Edgeworth actually being interested in the silly kids' show. If you hadn't just given the game away with the "shhhhh" emote, it wouldn't have seemed like a spoiler. By trying to hide a spoiler you usually just confirm it (and that's 'you' in the general sense, not you in particular, don't worry), so maybe consider not bothering with that in future. Heck, if you can't bring yourself to just let it be swept under the rug, ignored so that people don't realise it's a spoiler, try burying the possibility by playing along in a silly way - suggest he silently pats a USB stick in his pocket with the entire series recorded on it, or goes full tsundere, something like that. It's more fun and more effective than wink-wink-nudge-nudge.

On the subject of the woods, I do really like that the game has not only spotted this flaw in its logic but planned for it and used it in the case itself. This is a seriously smart game, it continues to impress me. I had expected silly lawyer action, I hadn't expected the core to be so well thought-through. I know it's only Case 3 so far, but none of them have really let me down yet.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
He ate a cold steak? If it was prepared at 12pm like the rest of them, that's a pretty miserable lunch, and a weird sort of aborted extravagance. It couldn't have been hot, since there would have been 'no way' for the assistant to take it to them at that time (both due to the monkey head and due to the camera).

Interesting that he didn't spot Cody, though. The kid kinda stands out in his lime greens.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Hmm. My first guess would be the monkey head - the timing is a little ambiguous as to when Cody saw that it was still intact. If he 'got lost' somehow after that, it's irrelevant, but if he got lost before it and saw the monkey soon before witnessing the fight, then the timing is off. It could be that the case spirals off into something like Powers sleepwalking, and the killing blow was done by someone else who managed to dodge the camera.

If not that, probably his photobook. It's possible he took a photo of the fight before finding out that it wasn't in the schedule; or if not, the victim was in full Evil Magistrate costume. He wouldn't just be a guy, "kinda tall, skinny;" Cody would know who it was and how he was dressed, since the Evil Magistrate would be all over that photobook. The fight might have been against someone else - the killer, perhaps. If Powers was drugged up to his eyeballs in sleeping pills, he might not remember trying to fight the actual killer if there was a third party there.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
That's alright, you've been pretty great about update frequency so far, we can wait. Safe travels.

Everyone, keep track of all the murders in Mors Rattus' area from Wednesday to Sunday, this may be an attempt to escape the three-day justice system!

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if the Redd White case was a turning point for him. He defended a certifiably guilty person, and it could have been the jolt his ethics needed to get him to question his methods.

As to the case, I'm actually not sure what the answer is here. The old picture seems like the obvious choice - she shows genuine shock and horror in that photo, whereas she's cold and distant now, and I wonder if maybe the actor that died before was important to her. It would also give her a more personal motive for the blackmail.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's much less impressive to hear "40 years undefeated!" when you know the context is "Japanifornia has a 99% conviction rate and defence attorneys are treated as subhuman scum who have to commit multiple misdemeanours themselves just to get the evidence that they should be given freely."

Honestly, I thought he would have a stronger counterplay to Phoenix's "No, let's actually have a trial" defence. If he starts fracturing as soon as his bubble is broken it'll honestly be a little disappointing (although still very satisfying, considering what the prick's done already).

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Night10194 posted:

The interesting thing here is that Edgeworth being willing to confess his 'crime' means his sense of justice is very much intact and he makes no bones about not exempting himself.

I genuinely adore that they thought the same thing I did when I first saw Edgeworth: that anyone with a belief system that "everyone is guilty" has something seriously messed up in their past. He thinks he committed a murder when he was a kid, so of course he thinks every defendant is guilty! What seems like a terrifying character oversight is actually foreshadowing for the climax of the game.

The degree to which Capcom thought of everything is rivalled only by von Karma himself.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Okay, so the crime scene is definitely on the other side of that little wall from the security room, and there's definitely something important in an incident from two years ago since it seems basically everyone is connected to something then, but most notably, the witness was on the other side of the fence from A Block. I expect Phoenix is going to coax her into saying something about moving to stop the perp - expounding on the "Immediately after that, I apprehended the Chief Prosecutor" bit from before her actual testimony, I'd think - and catching her in a lie.

...Or, at least, that's the expectation I'd follow in a more predictable crime procedural. After the first four cases, I'm not placing any bets.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

C. Everett Koop posted:

Theoretically, and if this was taking place irl, couldn't Edgeworth simply invoke his right to defend himself, and then do a crap job? Unless the judge declared Edgeworth mentally unfit to defend himself, and Uncle Phil's in no position to do that, Edgeworth isn't actually required to have counsel representing him, but that it is readily available so should he desire and/or be unable to secure it on his own.

Then again, in Japanofornia everything may go inside of a courtroom except not having a lawyer, which is the one sin that will not be forgiven, or something.

I think that in Case 4 that would only have been relevant for the final day twist. Edgeworth knew full well that he was innocent of the boatmurder, so he was only upset that Phoenix was taking on a fool's errand by trying to beat von Karma on such an open-and-shut case. Then by the time he was confessing to the old case Phoenix was on a roll, so he didn't switch to defending himself for that last trial-within-a-trial- plus, he probably wanted to see Wright's defence anyway.

It's definitely relevant for Case 5, though. Unless it's 100% required that Skye not defend herself, her looking for a DA to deliver her confession is one of the many curiosities of the case.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
It's a little weird that they bring up an altered 'testimony' (I'm pretty sure it'll be taken down next time, but it wasn't countered in the talky segment) when it's contradicted by the previous topic. A glass-walled security room doesn't mean a thing when the crime scene is on the other side of that pesky partition. A security camera might have worked, but her current lie doesn't. I wonder who took the photo from B block?

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Wonderslug posted:

The guard station is upstairs and the partition is only (IIRC) about six feet high. No one else needs to have taken the photo since she was in B block--just five minutes later than she originally claimed.

ManicVolcanic posted:

I believe Phoenix said that you can see the entire lot from the security room. Because the security room is on the second floor, you could probably see over the partition from there to the crime scene -- after all, the partition isn't the height of the room.

It took until you two mentioned it for me to make sense of the security room's position. Derp. Fortunately, I am not responsible for clearing people of murder charges, because my visual processing is clearly terrible.

Hello up there, security booth! That could probably just about see the crime scene, sure. (I thought the 'SECURITY' sign was at the top and that it was a sort of one-way glass kinda deal below it. No, I don't know why.)

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

If anyone couldn't guess roughly what this was going to link to, you should probably do yourself a favour and watch some Cowboy Bebop. I would not be surprised if Marshall were at least partially inspired by the 'antagonist' of this episode.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Katie Tiedrich is the unofficial official cartoonist of Phoenix Wright and the Ace Attorney series. There is an Awkward Zombie for every possible situation.

I did not figure out the Blue Badger's purpose here. It's really difficult to identify distances in the security video, so although it seems obvious that the Badger must be blocking something it isn't clear that it's physically up against the lockers.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
It lets him get out of going to the pool with Gant. That guy is way too interested in seeing the Judge in his swim shorts, it's probably been weirding the Judge out for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Mors Rattus posted:

: Well, this trial has gone on far too long already. Regarding the charge of murder,
: this court finds the defendant, Ms. Lana Skye...

I wonder if that was an intentional reference from the developers/translators once they realised what a behemoth this case was.

Either way, I do not envy you, OP, for this undertaking. Thanks for continuing the LP despite the best effort of all the game's many, many :words:

I can't believe there's STILL more to go in this case...

• Locked thread