Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It would be a pretty hard claim to make that the killer bludgeoned her sister to death, then sat down to remove and hide the clockwork from from the murder weapon for some reason, and then the police managed to catch her but not find the clockwork she supposedly took out and hid.

Of course this is Japanifornia, where "Guilty until proven innocent" doesn't even begin to cover it.

Also Gumshoe was the one investigating the crime scene, and not finding something like hidden clockwork is par for this particular course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Phoenix Wright does have one unfair advantage, namely he can present any incriminating object from within his coat pocket and the court has to take his word for it that he totally found this wiretap in the witness' hotel room, your honor.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's nice how she presents the photo for us so Phoenix doesn't have to explain how he got it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RedMagus posted:

Poor Edgeworth, is it spoilers to say how often this kinda thing will happen to him? I think the writers got a lot of mail about how much people enjoyed this scene. :allears:

Funky Valentine posted:

Edgeworth's life basically goes all downhill from here.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Kind of a plot hole that we have to hear about these people here, when Mr. Powers could have told us about them any time.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The photo was taken by a garden gnome, who will be the prosecution's star witness on day 3 of the trial.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

PleasingFungus posted:

on the other hand, making perfectly innocuous acts into criminal offenses through overbroad legislation is a great way to encourage abuse of authority through selective enforcement of laws.

Welcome to human nature. "Don't be a dick" can't be legislated, but not trying to legislate it somehow comes out even worse.

Mors Rattus posted:

: I was hoping I'd come up with a question while pounding on my desk. I didn't.
: ... You have my sympathies.

: I was hoping to come up with a question while I was objecting, Your Honor... I didn't.
: I see... Very well.

This is one of my favorite gags.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's especially annoying when you consider that Will Powers also has zero motive, but nobody seems to care about that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mors Rattus posted:

: So, you've come to laugh at the fallen attorney? Then laugh, laugh!
: Well? Why aren't you laughing?
: Nick... Should we be laughing?
: Nah. It's a trick. Laugh and he'll get mad... or burst into tears.

Looks like some of Maya's sociopathy is rubbing off on Phoenix.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

FANSean posted:

Case 4's intro sets it up to look like the guy you're defending is the one who actually did it (Of course, he obviously didn't. Or did he?)

Mors Rattus posted:

: Nick... Mr. Edgeworth did it, didn't he.

It's a pretty great escalation.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mors Rattus posted:

: ...? Nick? What are you doing?
: Huh? Oh... I was just reading through the Court Record once more. I'm getting my case ready.
: Your case... for what?
: Huh? Isn't it obvious? I'm going to prove that Miles Edgeworth is innocent.

This is a cool little moment for Phoenix. He's a good protagonist.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Dirk the Average posted:

Von Karma (and all other real culprits) still has the right to his own trial. This trial is for Edgeworth. Typically, the game doesn't cover the secondary trials of the real culprits.

Yeah, this. They do acknowledge them sometimes though. In a couple of the games there's a few lines about how somebody is offscreen somewhere heading up the prosecution against the criminals you uncover during your defense trials.

Silver Falcon posted:

As amazing as this moment was, I kept waiting for Von Karma to point out that there's no way any kind of markings could survive so long inside someone's body. Like, they'd have to have been worn away by now, right? Yes, with all the ridiculous poo poo that happens in this game, THAT is what broke my suspension of disbelief. I don't know why.

It doesn't even matter whether the ballistic markers are still there or not. All that matters is that Von Karma thinks they are, and just confessed in court. Even if they aren't there he'd have a heck of a time explaining why there's a bullet in his shoulder at all. It doesn't sound like he has a backup explanation for it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'd trust Edgeworth. Knowing Japanifornia there's probably no rules against that sort of conflict of interest, either.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This case is great for so many reasons, not least of which is we have post-redemption Edgeworth as prosecutor. Guy just gives us the knife evidence, the parking stub, access to the crime scene, all this stuff without any question. The only thing he takes in return is the opportunity to sass Ema.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

FoolyCharged posted:

You know, for all the hate Marshal got in this thread, i really love him. The dude got demoted to being a glorified security guard and desperately clings to the cowboy image to compensate

Sadly, he was already all-in on the cowboy image even before his demotion.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Those conversations with Gant are a lot of fun. He's so jovial, but you can't deny why he's the boss.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Why is Gant so into swimming?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

KataraniSword posted:

even though everyone with eyes and a brain can see the bullshit from orbit.

So basically just Phoenix and Edgeworth.

• Locked thread