Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

citybeatnik posted:

If my memory is serving me correctly, California has a problem with people stealing palm trees and cacti - literally poaching them from either public places or private property. The plant law could be covering that.

...Who the gently caress steals a cactus?

And nice to see this getting a proper start. Here's to hoping you won't burn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yup. It's the first case of the entire series, and we're already dealing with the real culprit in danger of getting off on the flimsiest reasons.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I gotta admit, this does feel like a good first case to break people into the series. Aside from the introduction scene and general tutorial stuff, it doesn't hold your hand much in order to let you puzzle out the solution for yourself. Which makes those scenes where you've got the culprit on the ropes all the sweeter.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

This case... Is probably my least favorite of the first game's. Sure, it starts broadening your world by giving you more to do than going to court and introduces the main cast of characters, but it just holds your hand a bit too much at all the wrong places (like showing us the murderer at the start again).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It can't be emphasized enough: Edgeworth is the smuggest smugger who ever smugged.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Plus, well, more to the point: How could she tell it was a clock in the first place?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

On the other hand, Mia does mention that Larry's Harry's case would be all over the evening news in the epilogue of the first case, which could conceivably trip a player up.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I dunno, I think the 'flinch' sprite he usually uses right before that one is better, even if it only lasts all of two seconds.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Suddenly I'm imagining he's just constantly drunk when he's on the job, and it explains so much.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Granted, it's still being fairly gentle on the player. We've already had at least two instances where you progress the story no matter what you pick, as well as the judge being pretty lenient on obviously-wrong answers... Something later cases in the series won't really be doing, to put it mildly.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

For that matter, how the hell did he even know that was a wiretap in the first place?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Redd White - The Walking Thesaurus

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Wait, he's constipuzzled? :confused:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ah, I forgot how magical Redd White on the stand was. Though, they don't actually have any evidence implicating Phoenix of the crime, in hindsight.

Did you mean to put "te ti" at the end of your update?

In Japanifornia law, a witness's testimony is worth at least as much as a piece of evidence unless it's contradicted at least three by other testimonies/evidence. :eng101:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

You've gotta love how badly Redd screwed himself over. If he'd just ordered Phoenix out of his office when confronted, the odds probably would've been decent that he would be able to pressure his way out of being called as a witness (and thus get away with it).

Instead, he decided to really rub his power in Phoenix's face, and... Well, collapsed faster than a house of cards when he put himself in the one place where his power means nothing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Hasn't it been 3 days since the murder? Mia is actually Jesus.

That would make for an interesting story: a murder mystery where the victim comes back to life three days later.

...Repeatedly. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

And now y'all know why I think this was the weakest case of the first game. :v:

Honestly, I'd think it would've been better if the Judge just called Edgeworth out, and ended the trial right then and there. Instead... Yeah.

And it's weird that all it took to get Redd to break down was just reading a list of his blackmail victims. Guy didn't even get a proper breakdown animation.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Really, though, it's weird that that's what finally gets him to capitulate. I mean, even discounting that he's the actual murderer, he'd already been outed as a blackmailing scumbag. What does revealing the names of his victims really change?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Granted, those're movies. Playing the villain on a Saturday morning kids' show is probably just a mite bit different.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Considering how lovely the iOS version was in so many other ways, I'm not going to be the least bit surprised if that also includes "corrupting your save data".

Though I could've sworn you could choose certain 'chapters' in each case in that version, at least.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

At least Edgeworth has the humility to admit that both sides were dumbasses for not realizing it made no sense? :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I remember someone somewhere saying it's supposed to be like "Diva Squeeze".

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Or where the twist is "oh gently caress, we forgot it was Daylight Savings".

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

If that is... Hoo boy, that just destroyed some alibis.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We seriously fought wars in order to get our hands on bat guano. Phone-posting, or I'd link to anything relevant.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

And more to the point: there isn't any blood on the spear, right?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Plus, ever since the previous day's testimony, there's no longer any evidence at all that Powers was the murderer— and some solid (if circumstantial) evidence to the contrary. At this point, nothing is adding up to the original premise of the case.

So, this is the turning point in Edgeworth's career. For most, it probably would have been acceptable to cut their losses and withdrawn their case without bothering to take it any further. But he's still willing to do the right thing by putting the new prime suspect on the spot, instead of just chalking it up to a loss.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

No, no, no, the best way of getting away with murder is to commit it and pin the blame on someone else while Phoenix is on another case.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

You know, everyone always mentions how an icicle would be the perfect murder weapon, but has there ever been an actual case of one being used?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Man, I'd kill for a world where Christmas wasn't advertised so heavily.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Also, can I just point out that Edgeworth has a loving tiny head:shoulders ratio in this shot?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I still find it kind of creepy that we've got commercials of some guy pretending to be Colonel Sanders. I mean, if it was just some mascot that took hold over the years, fine; but an actual living person?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Don't forget: Lotta herself said that her camera took two photos.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The person we're set to face off against is probably one of the highlights of the series. :allears:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

You forgot the most plausible explanation:

They're all at least part-Sasquatch themselves.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Three shots, huh? Our witness only heard 2. That's interesting.

And unless I'm misremembering, the victim was only shot once. Something's not adding up, here.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

Maybe there were two shooters? The victim was on the boat with Edgeworth, saw the killer behind Edgeworth, tried to shoot the killer but missed, and got shot by the killer.

How would he be able to shoot the victim and not hit Edgeworth, though? And since the powder burns indicate that the shooter was a few feet away, Edgeworth would've had to get on that tiny boat without noticing there was a third person lying on the deck, somehow.

... And now I want someone to illustrate this.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Or is it nine hours from now?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

On the other hand, I wouldn't put it past some of them (like Payne) to be too thick to even realize they're the real culprit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

This is never going to go anywhere good, yeah.

• Locked thread