Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I once had someone steal a greek textbook out of my backpack. They left the backpack and everything else, just took that one intro textbook.

It was inexplicable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cornered is basically the best.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Excuse me I think you will find the games are clearly set in Japanofornia.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Japanifornian law is primarily soap-opera based.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Japanifornian Law is biased against the defendant and this explains the 99% conviction rate.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well I mean when you're bearing false witness in Japanifornia, you kind of expect it to go easily.

Cornered and the Freakouts are one of the most satisfying things I've seen.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, I was originally half joking when I said Japanifornian law is based entirely on soap-opera rules.

I am no longer joking and I am instead very excited.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think my favorite thing about this is the implication that the Japanifornian Justice System will have its sacrifices, one way or another. Phoenix merely makes sure they're the actual guilty party.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Polaron posted:

The insane bias the courts in this game display makes me irrationally angry. :argh:

Does your irrational anger fill you with a burning desire to seek true justice because if so I think that is what they are going for.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That Bellboy is great.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also he believes basically everyone is guilty of something. He said so himself. So if he nails White on something else, well that's just more prosecution and more justice.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

White is one of those guys so used to being insulated from all consequences that he has no idea how dangerous what he's doing is.

That's the impression I get.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It feels like Phoenix and Edgeworth both look for justice from opposite directions. Edgeworth represents the way Japanifornian courts see things (guilty until proven innocent) and works to make sure all the guilty are punished, while Phoenix is much more interested in confirming guilt before moving forward.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Thinker statue-clock thing, Thinker statue-clock thing again but with the clock parts removed, samurai spear.

I'm betting the 4th murder weapon will be a feather duster and the 5th will be Killerman's anime laser beam.

At least the Killerman mystery will be easy to solve.

Killerman is Killerman.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Who is Penny? The Assistant Girl?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Stephen9001 posted:

Is that a 2 I see in the top right of the picture? I think it is! That must be it! Why would he be at studio 2 and not studio 1!

You're right, I think. Good catch.

This case is pretty interesting!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gumshoe with the hero save.

Great job, pal. :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, it's clear what Edgeworth is doing. Miles isn't defending the innocent; he has the guilty right in front of him and he can tell it's her. So he's going after her.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Remember that Redd White was supremely connected and Edgeworth had a lot of very heavy orders saying 'Hey dude this guy didn't do it and the Attorney did, get it?'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Still, this makes it really clear: Edgeworth generally doesn't let himself believe he might be sending an innocent person to jail/the necessary blood sacrifices that keep Japanfornia from slipping into some hellish otherworld. He has to believe the system works to be such an efficient agent of the system and he's pretty pissed that Phoenix has rocked his faith in it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That shot of Edgeworth with the gun in his hand is the most soap opera image this game has put out yet. :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A whodunit where the butler did it and there's a reasonable motive that's apparent on the first couple investigative passes would be like an action movie where the 6 men with automatic rifles easily mow down the pistol wielding hero.

Technically more plausible but why would you even bother writing it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Waffleman_ posted:

And the whole tradition of KFC is entirely the result of a single marketing campaign that for some reason worked REALLY REALLY WELL.

I'd heard KFC was a big thing in Japan but the extent of it is apparently mind-boggling.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Soap Opera intensifies.

Is this the final case in this game?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Three shots, huh? Our witness only heard 2. That's interesting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Do you think, as well as teaching him that only the verdict matters and the system is obviously blindly correct, Von Karma also led Edgeworth down the dark path of cravats?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The cravat is probably an honest mistake, given that's what you call a necktie in German.

Everyone's probably too scared of the shouty German jackass to correct him. That's kinda how he comes off here; I'm a little disappointed in him so far. He just seems like an rear end in a top hat rather than imposing or impressive.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It comes off a little forced so far. But we'll see. It's early in the trial yet and it'll be interesting to see how things change when he has a fight on his hands instead of a walkover. I expect it'll get way better then.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Double Plus Undead posted:

He's not even that good of a lawyer, he's just bulldozing the judge who isn't holding him in contempt of court for some reason.

Anime powers.

Also, I imagine it's pretty easy to look like a skilled lawyer in Japanfornia so long as you're prosecution, since most prosecution in this system seems to be the equivalent of hunting a tied down quail with a shotgun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

theshim posted:

Because we haven't met enough crazy people yet :allears:

I don't think there are any sane people in Japanifornia besides Nick.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MegaZeroX posted:

Nah, in Japanifornia, parents pay $38.00 for a burger at school.

Hamburgers are made only from the finest and rawest of Japanifornian fish.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So Von Karma led Edgeworth down the path of dark prosecution and cravats and is now going to have him executed for murder entirely to spite a guy who is already dead in order to avenge loving up his time-table a little.

Dude is a pathetic, petty piece of poo poo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The von Karma response would probably be to glare until you either back down and assign a crime for him or, apparently, spend a decade planning an unnecessarily elaborate revenge.

My initial impression of him as basically just a loud-mouthed jackass who is lucky to be working in Japanifornia has been fully vindicated.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The bigger question is why the hell was there a gun in the elevator with them.

This is Japanifornia, not Texas!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Air is lava! posted:

Didn't they say that it was a piece of evidence?

What do you want to bet the old bullet proves this gun is the exact same gun used in the elevator?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"I WILL CROSS EXAMINE THE PARROT!" is just the best.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

C. Everett Koop posted:

That bird is guilty as a motherfucker and now that we've got it on the stand were gonna get a confession out of it and turn it into a crispy eight-piece.

Hatoful Turnabout!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

YggiDee posted:

So Von Karma has a granddaughter. Assuming it wasn't a hypothetical for the sake of the argument, is there then a Mrs. Von Karma? I can't imagine a person like him successfully romancing someone.

He badgered her until she married him because he cannot fail and is a weird, obsessive jerk.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Von Karma shot him, didn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The bullet hit SOMEONE. I'm guessing someone lurking right outside the elevator. I'm guessing the accidental gunshot hit the real killer.

I'm proud we're ending this with a literal locked door mystery.

Same for my speculation as above.

• Locked thread