Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Malah posted:

I'm pretty sure subtlety goes out the window when admitting to a career foul play in front of a judge in open court.

Credit where it's due, though, von Karma plays the long game: he (probably) shot Edgeworth Sr., corrupted his son as a prosecutor, set up Yogi to frame Edgeworth for murder fifteen years later, and then still kept this backup plan on hand by programming Edgeworth well enough that he'd fall on his sword when the time came. And over a single penalty? That's commitment to pettiness, there.

The interesting thing here is that Edgeworth being willing to confess his 'crime' means his sense of justice is very much intact and he makes no bones about not exempting himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Okay here's what happened.

1: the :parrot: caused the earthquake, which certainly killed thousands.

2: The :parrot: flew in from the open hole in the elevator roof because there's always a vent or something in elevators.

3: The :parrot: picked up the gun and busted a cap in Papa Edgeworth, using its beak so that's why there's no fingerprints on it.

4: The :parrot: then flew away, free to kill again and again.

I've solved it, get the chair ready Gumshoe, we're having blackened bird tonight.

:parrot: is a massive fucker.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

resurgam40 posted:

Wait... that injury couldn't be why he's clutching his arm all the time, could it? The bullet looked like it entered a different place on the arm though... But people do survive having bullets shot into them; President Jackson, that tough old bastard, reportedly had so many bullets in him he rattled when he sat down. (which may just be rumor, but he did love his duels...)

You know, I think you're right. He never got the injury treated and now he's in pain all the time, so as not to leave a trail.

I bet it's the same drat pistol, too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thank Goodness Nick is an Adventure Game Protagonist, and thus prone to stuffing tons of random items down his pants to rub on things at opportune times. That metal detector sure came in handy!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gumshoe elevates every single scene he's in, pal.

Did they ever, say, do a game where it's a buddy story about Edgeworth and Gumshoe solving crimes, because that would be fantastic.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, in a black and white photo, Lana and Angel actually look pretty similar.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait. Perjury exists in this world.

Why is every witness not in prison.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am getting really sick of Angel Starr.

She just doesn't have a good enough gimmick to sustain this long of a sequence.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm pretty sure Angel's testimony isn't even the longest in the case.

I think I'm going to hate this case.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Edgeworth is the best character in a series full of fantastic characters.

It isn't that the others are bad, it's that Edgy is so good. He's had a coherent character arc leading to satisfying development that's stuck and made him a great member of the cast.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dirk the Average posted:

This is really important to note, by the way. Edgeworth is now treating prosecution as less of a battle of wits between defense and prosecution, and more of a collaborative effort to find the truth. To be fair, his rear end is on the line in this case, as not only have Wright and Edgeworth accused the Chief of Police of murder, but if Gant has his way, Edgeworth will be under suspicion of having purposefully manipulated evidence to convict innocents. It's a neat moment of character development, going from Von Karma's understudy who pursues victory at all costs to someone unafraid to fight for the truth instead of blindly trying to win. The question does remain as to whether this is a sincere conviction or something born of desperation at the situation that he has found himself in.

Well, also.

Someone still gets prosecuted, so it isn't like he isn't going to get a prosecution out of nailing the police chief.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Do you ever think the Judge sees Phoenix walk into the courtroom and just goes 'ugh, this is gonna be a long day.'?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HenryEx posted:

You wouldn't believe how much mileage these games get out of the parrot precedent in this game. It basically excuses any shenanigans they can come up with by saying "It's still not as bad as when he interrogated a parrot once..."

Well, you know.

Not like it isn't true and correct.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dirk the Average posted:

At this point, there's enough circumstantial evidence that not only is she vanishingly unlikely to have murdered him (the whole "she was pulling the body out of the trunk" thing), but that even if she were to have murdered him, it would have been because she was blackmailed by the Chief, and ultimate responsibility would be on his part, not hers.

Japanifornian Justice cares not from whence the convictions flow, only that they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That case went on like 3 times longer than it needed to.

Like, the back part of it was pretty good, but I really can't call it a good case. Just too much stuff.

• Locked thread