Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

HenryEx posted:

Nah, you're just a wet blanket. None of the responses read as an attack or criticism against you from an outside perspective, they're purely informational!

I do have to agree with this. The only one who was a touch insulting was Aerdan ("As stated previously in the thread..."), and even that wasn't that much. I wouldn't have put it into my response, but then, I'm kind of trained in interpersonal communications, so I can't really judge that too harshly.

Anyways, that's my take on it. I'm sorry you were offended.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Waffleman_ posted:

It's the former, as prosecutors in Japan do tend to have a lot of sway over the police.

....:stare:...

Dang, what's the point of even having a legal system then? If you're going to stack the deck THAT far in the prosecutor's favor, what can the defense attorney really do? It almost seems like the prosecution job becomes a celebrity position: like "look how many guys I can prosecute! THIS'LL sure make me look good, never-mind having to ACTUALLY be able to give good arguments!"

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 31, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

oscarthewilde posted:

With all due respect, this is essentially how most of the criminal justice systems in countries within the civil law tradition operate, and it really isn't as bad as you might expect. I'm not entirely familiar with the Japanese system, though if I'm not mistaken it's quite Germanistic in style, but most countries operate on a system of safeguards. The prosecutor holds a lot of sway and is invaluable even in the investigatory stage, but through early access to a lawyer (since 2008, after Salduz v. Turkey, a European right, even if some countries are remarkably slow at actually implementing this right) and oversight by judges and magistrates a fair process is guaranteed. As opposed to the Anglo-American common law adversarial tradition, the civil law tradition operates with an inquisitorial purpose. Rather than two equal parties it's the judges role, often aided by the prosecutors and the prosecutor's service to ascertain the "truth" in a given case.

Then I apologize for my ignorance. It was not my intention to insult any country, I really just couldn't imagine how any system of law could work when the prosecutor had the power to withhold evidence legally.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Man, just as we were talking about how Manfred wasn't AS bad as he initially seemed :keke: ...

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 22, 2016

• Locked thread