Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

If my memory is serving me correctly, California has a problem with people stealing palm trees and cacti - literally poaching them from either public places or private property. The plant law could be covering that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Regalingualius posted:

...Who the gently caress steals a cactus?

And nice to see this getting a proper start. Here's to hoping you won't burn out.

Sequoia cacti can fetch a high price from landscape folks trying to add value to the properties they're trying to flip, same as palm trees. Hell, palm trees can fetch more and cities like LA planted them in the 50s as a marketing and beautification project so you can just roll up and steal them and pocket ten large.

99% Invisible has an episode devoted to it if i remember right.

Also, some of the dumber laws out there (such as the one where if two trains are running towards one another on the same track, they both have to stop to let tye other pass) were typically tacked on to legislative bills to make people not want to vote for the rest of it. The common refrain was "no, that's stupid we're passing this thjng", so they're on the books but never enforced.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Green Intern posted:

I think you mean Saguaro. Aren't they generally only found in Arizona and Mexico anyway?

That's the one. Combination of phone and drunk posting.

I -think- what I was getting at with them is that they're used in decorative landscaping in California, only to have people roll up and steal them again. But I think I was primarily thinking of them doing that to the palm trees.

• Locked thread