Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

We've already met 3 out of the 4 best characters in the game, possibly even the series.

Thankfully, they're all main characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I've always assumed that the original thought process went something along the lines of this:

"poo poo, everyone's name in this game is a Japanese pun! No one's going to understand these."

"Why don't we localize the names into English puns?"

"But why would there be a bunch of people with English names walking around Japan?"

"idk let's just say it takes place in a major city on the west coast to explain some of the more Asian things; it's not that Japanese a game."

"Sounds good."

(Years later they regret this when a traditional Japanese small town protected by yokai has to somehow exist in California.)

(But really, that's part of the charm of the games to me, so who cares.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Glazius posted:

Gumshoe is not just an acceptable cop, he's a bonus-worthy cop?

Unless Edgeworth is hinting at a pink slip.

No, prosecutors just literally have the power to cut the salaries of detectives in Japanifornia.

That or Edgeworth has that much influence.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

: I object! That was... objectionable!

One of the greatest Edgeworth lines. :allears:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dragonwagon posted:

As evidenced by the two games with him as the protagonist.

It really says something about the Ace Attorney universe that Edgeworth's superpower in those games is Logic. Mostly it says things about other prosecutors and the police.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

And Wendy Oldbag is a windy old hag.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You put Phoenix's headshot where you should've put the picture of the step-ladder.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

An almost-imperceptible bead of sweat runs down Miles' temple.

:ssh: We don't know that yet.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

: Mmmph! Well, yes, um... ... Indeed! Verily, I say... Ergo!

This is still one of my favorite Edgeworth lines in the whole series. Admittedly, I still haven't played Investigations II, but I'm pretty sure it would still stand.

Underneath his bravado and cravat, Edgeworth is such a dork. And that might be a super common trope, but I still love it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oh boy, the next case is one of my favorites in the entire series.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

resurgam40 posted:

Japan is certainly such a world... Christmas over there is pretty much just an excuse to party and visit KFC for most folks; no point advertising to the ~1% of people for whom it is a religious holiday.

And dates! In Japan, Christmas is largely a romantic holiday for the teenage plus crowd. New Years is instead the family holiday. Children still give gifts on Christmas though, I believe, as the commercial parts were successfully imported. Just not the religious or the centuries of winter solstice traditions that exist in the west.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

This one textbox is the sole foundation we use to lay out the entire Ace Attorney timeline. This is literally the only time a specific year is mentioned in any of the games. Every other time an event from the past is brought up, it's in relative years ago seven years ago. I didn't even think Capcom had acknowledged the timeline until they started talking about it when it began in real time.

Also, the live-action movie, despite being set in "20XX," has a DL-6 evidence tag show the crime as happening in 2012, the year of the movie's release, making that movie take place in 2027.

ftfy

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

This is the reason Ace Attorney is so good.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

IAmTheRad posted:

The fact that elevators aren't airtight in the real world and thus Yanni Yogi should not have suffered from oxygen deprivation?

Eh, if there was rubble involved in why the elevator was stuck, maybe. Or just people panicking and hyperventilating.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Rather Watch Them posted:

When I played this case, assuming that Lana is innocent (which I did, because I'm not a monster) makes this part difficult. Not because the testimony is flawless, but because there's too many flaws. Which one do I pick first?

I'm going to stop here since I finished the game now (thanks to this LP), but I had some trouble figuring out what the game wants me to target.

Yeah, that's a problem I often have with Ace Attorney games. This, or I know the conclusion it wants me to draw, I just don't know how to get there from what I have. Or I'm a step a head and the game wants me to establish something else now.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Who the gently caress brings their kid to a murder trial?

Gregory Edgeworth, apparently.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Really, the lesson of this case is "if you're a corrupt chief of police, maybe don't have safe with a stupidly easy password where you stash incriminating evidence".

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

:( to the bellboy's scene.

Are you planning on doing the other games eventually still, or was this just too much work to do again? Either way, this was a fantastic LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

MightyPretenders posted:

If we don't switch over to a new thread, it might never be added to the lparchives.

Oh, there are megathreads in the archive. I think it just has to be the same series.

• Locked thread