Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It was fun for a while but honestly I'm already kind of bored with it. The loot system is random by nature so you end up going godmode and winning the map or either A) having a rock vs machete fight with someone and losing in the first three minutes or B) play the "SMG VS Handgun" fight for the last kill of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I still enjoy playing a lot and it's become a nightly routine for my friend and I. The fight mechanics need a ton of work though. It's really dumb that a person who blocks 95% of the time is going to win the majority of their fights. They either need to make shoving better or make it so that blocking drains stamina or something.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I find that the best way to punish a block spammer is to charge your weapon, then block cancel into a push. But yeah, blocking shouldn't be such a free action.

I'm hoping that a new map comes out soon. That'll really get me back into the game.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Big-ish patch tomorrow.

Takeaways:
  • Thick Skin applying to ranged damage as well as melee should go a decent way toward keeping this from being The Throwing Game (tm).
  • I think this might be the patch that finally convinces me to give up Stealthy, which is good because that perk was way too good before.
  • Weakness being taken out and replaced with Cripple - don't know how I feel about that, but I guess movement speed is now even more important.
  • Lootable toilets! Finally a reason to open the stall doors.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
all the changes look really good.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://twitter.com/TheCullingGame/status/720291781309431808

I got a featured .gif for siking some turd out.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Akumos posted:

https://twitter.com/TheCullingGame/status/720291781309431808

I got a featured .gif for siking some turd out.

That looked dope, I might have to play again.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

So, just curious, what is everyone's win/loss ratio, and rough kills per match or whatever?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

woozy pawsies posted:

So, just curious, what is everyone's win/loss ratio, and rough kills per match or whatever?

When chemist was broken I was winning roughly 1/3 of my games with about 4 kills per game. Now that it is fixed I'm more around 15% but I'm still just struggling to find what works now - - best so far was Katana with knives blood and stealth but if someone gets a gun you're boned.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Were you playing singles or teams? because I'd say singles has more of a luck element.

I think explosives negate guns pretty well, as well as smoke bombs. I mean, generally if you have a gun within 10-15 minutes it is your game to lose, but there are plenty of counters to pretty much everything, imo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Another big patch coming next week:

quote:

Private lobbies - Create and join private lobbies to play free-for-all matches with friends.

Female playable character - Play as a female contestant with an extensive suite of customization options.

Trials Matches - Use Trial Tokens awarded for wins participate in weekly free-for-all Trials Matches (weekends only) against other winners for a chance to score exclusive loot.

New customization items - Spice up your gear with new shirt designs by Filthy Casual and DesignByHumans as well as limited edition hats!

New weapons - Spray even more blood on the island with the Crafted Cudgel (Tier 1 Bludgeon) and the mighty Trident (Tier 4 Spear)

Additional perks - Experiment with new perks like Dig Deep and Angry Octopus―yeah, we don’t know either.

SteamOS support - Spread mayhem at your desk and in your living room.

New lighting and significantly enhanced optimization

Improvements to balance and stability.

People are saying the Angry Octopus perk may involve a smoke-bomb effect when the player drops below a certain health. Could be interesting or could just be really annoying.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It'd be nice if we were retroactively given those Trial Tokens. But it's nice to finally have a reward for winning.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

"Female playable character - Play as a female contestant with an extensive suite of customization options."

I'm really hoping this means something more than just "boob slider."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

PantsOptional posted:

"Female playable character - Play as a female contestant with an extensive suite of customization options."

Multiple boob sliders.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
how many sliders are required for a boob slider to be acceptable

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

One for each, or are we talkin' a four-pack here?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that's a good follow up question

do boob sliders become more acceptable the more of them there are

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

The female model doesn't look sexualized at all, I think they just mean clothes/hairstyles like male models have, since the women appear to have new hairstyles like a awful Skrillex cut.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Did an update change combat again? Now I'm just getting people who are throwing a ton of attacks before I can block so fights are them stabbing me three times, getting my block up, maybe getting one counter hit in, getting shoved, stabbed three more times, trying to push them and dying.

It feels super lovely compared to the last time I played.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

We got patch notes, boys.

quote:

New Features
Private lobbies. Up to 16 friends can compete in free-for-all mode and decide who truly is the master of the island.
SteamOS support. Spread mayhem at your desk and in your living room.
Female playable characters. Play as a female contestant with an extensive suite of customization options.
Trials Matches. Trials Tokens are awarded for winning free-for-all matches. Spend tokens to compete in weekly free-for-all Trials Matches (at designated times) against other winners for a chance to score exclusive, limited-edition loot.
New customization items. Spice up your gear with new shirt designs by Filthy Casual and Design By Humans as well as limited-edition hats!
New weapons. Spill even more blood on the island with the Crafted Cudgel (Tier 1 Bludgeon, Crafted Hatchet + Rock, 2 FUNC) and the mighty Trident (Tier 4 Spear)
New Air Drops
Polecat: Trident, Survival Spear, Javelin (105 FUNC)
Cyclops: Trident, Orange Juice, Body Armor (110 FUNC)
Bait Crate: Decoy Air Drop that will explode upon opening to deal 20 hit points of damage. Available by default (50 FUNC)
New weapon wounds. Each weapon type now has a unique wound.
Expose: Axes. Intensity 1,2,3 increases damage of next attack made against the expose target by 5%, 10%, 15% respectively.
Pierce: Spears. Piercing trait on Spears allows all damage from the spear to bypass the opponent’s armor. Intensity of the pierce represents how much of the armor is also removed on each hit. Tier 1:12.5%, Tier 2: 16.7%, Tier 3: 25%.
Bleed: Blades. No changes to wound functionality.
Cripple: Bludgeons. No changes to wound functionality.
Throw Damage is now an independent weapon stat (no longer directly tied to melee damage) in order to further differentiate individual weapons
Some weapons now excel at throwing and others are less effective. There are now fewer weapons that can achieve extremely high throw damage values when combined with Golden Arm.
New Perks
Dig Deep: Gain 30 Health when damage would kill you. (Once per match, visible to your opponents via HUD)
Angry Octopus: When reduced below 30 Health automatically drop a Smoke Bomb (30-second cool-down, does not require Smoke Bomb in your inventory)
Inhuman: You can not be tracked with Man Tracker and are immune to Alarm Gun
Thicker Clotting: Reduce duration of all wounds by 50%(Clotting Agent and Hearty Constitution removed and replaced with Thicker Clotting)
Armor Changes
Crafted Armor now reduces incoming damage by 30% for 30 hit points (previously 30% for 20 hit points)
Body Armor now reduces incoming damage by 50% for 50 hit points (previously 50% for 30 hit points)
New baked lighting scheme improves graphical fidelity and improves rendering performance
Shove Changes
Increased launch delay of shove to closely match that of block and attack. Shove was previously faster which gave it an advantage.
Shove no longer causes a stagger interrupt against a player who is charging a power attack. Players will continue to charge their attacks even if they are shoved.
Shove now does negligible damage (previously 2 hit points per shove)
Increased time between shoves to reduce effectiveness of spamming shove key
Cosmetic Loot Rarity
We have added two new levels of ultra-rare loot and adjusted our rarity color scheme to suit. Rarity progression is now: White,Green, Blue, Yellow, Purple, Orange, Red
Limited-Edition Items. Some items will drop only in Trials of the Isle matches and for a limited time.
Crate Drop Distribution
Spears, Blades, Bludgeons, and Axes now have an equal chance of dropping from all crates.
Tier 4 melee weapons now all have a small chance to drop from Blue Crates
Changes

Graphics Settings
Graphics settings will have a greater impact on your system’s performance:
Render Quality. This setting previously affected resolution only. It now also affects characteristics of the game’s new lighting scheme. The Extreme setting may represent a performance decrease for some users (but a significant fidelity increase over the previous version of the game) as a result.
Texture Quality. The streaming pool size has been raised for users on the High and Medium settings and lowered on the Low setting to better handle different video card memory limitations. The Low setting should resolve hitching issues on low-end cards.
Gameplay
Fixed a bug in Baseball Bat shove behavior
Fixed a bug in Crafted Knife shove behavior
Weapon balance adjusted for addition of Expose and Pierce, not as sweeping as previous balance passes. We like the jobs that each weapon is doing, but several needed their damage, speed or wound adjusted for Expose and Pierce.
Perk: Poking deeply removed as it no longer fits with spear wounds.
Bridge art and audio improved.
Explosive Barrels and FUNC Barrels damage now properly falls off over its explosive range rather than ramping up.
Fix for Bloodbath not applying its effect on throws. Changing the way we decide if an incoming bleed wound should replace an existing bleed wound. Before the one that had the longest remaining duration would apply, now it's the one with the highest remaining damage.
Fix for Bomb Suit perk sometimes causing all players in theexplosion radius to get its benefits and not just the player with the perk.
Fix for players being able to block while puking.
Perks Code Red and Alarm Gunner combined to create Red Gunner
Perk Blowsafe removed
Perk Blowzoom removed
Perk Master Crafted damage bonus increased to 20%
Perk Tough Mother mitigation bonus increased to 15%
Perk Big Boned health bonus increased to 25 hit points
Charged attacks no longer break out of the charge anim when hit by a ranged shot
Cleaver is now considered an Axe type weapon (apparently this is true in real life, because chopping?). We don’t have perfect balance of types yet (X # of Axes vs. X # of Bludgeons etc…), that is something we’re working on for the future, but we’re taking small steps like this where we can to prepare for those changes.
Fix for Stun Gun using both ammo shots on a successful hit.
Steel Snares were bugged and doing 15 damage instead of 25, this is now corrected.
Recycle Costs and Airdrop Value bug fixes, some old values were still set in recycle values giving bad value to airdrops.
Scoreboard no longer displays list of player names in a match until the first contestant is killed
Audio
Alarm Gun SFX added when target is shot while Inhuman Perk is equipped
Added new announcer death notifications for Spear kills.
Added new announcer death notifications for Axe kills.
Added new announcer death notifications for Fist kills.
Added new announcer death notifications for Bow kills.
Added new Health Machine phrases and random barks.
Level
Map texture and material improvements.
New south water treatment building WIP cleaned up meshes and landscape around area
Fixed some door locks on the Southern water works
Added new water works entrance piece
Extensive support and level art changes to support new optimized lighting solution
Adjusted container and recycler and health station locations to work better with the new lights and to avoid access through windows
Toned down the bloom and contrast on the spawn box so the players screen doesn't white out on release
Character/Animation
Animation speed improvements to better match current movement speeds (crouch, walk, sprint).
General animation improvements to the attack animations to reduce popping and erratic behavior.
Weapon animation fixes for hand IK
Did some sword animation cleanup; added two missing 3P Sword Attacks to match the 1P versions; 1P camera animations are less erratic
Leg IK cleanup
Feet should only rotate to match normal of contact surface when IK is actually active (fix broken ankles when jumping / falling)
Changed the anim length of crafting poison darts to match the craft time
Animation polish for weapons while sprinting
Added hip leaning / spine twisting when characters are turning
Various female character supporting changes
Created Bat heavy attack version for 1P and 3P which is two handed.
Did some upper-body bow run polish.
Added blinks and lessened the degree of head turn to the front end female idle.
Separated hits reacts into new groups for better blending between hits and attacks
Created recycle anims for the brass knuckles.
Fixed skin weighting on balaclavas that was much more apparent with graphic versions
UI
Added Icons for new Perks, Updated some others.
Outline added to FUNC symbol in hud
Crafting Guide Updated with Cudgel
Loot rarity color is visible in front end for cosmetic items
Other
Fix for Baseball Bat not showing charge meter for throwing
Potential fix for input becoming stuck after item use is interrupted by puking. Now the item use will be canceled.
Fix for players sometimes being able to spectate someone other than their teammate in a teams match
Added protections against movement speed perks being permanently removed by cripple or low stamina state or edge-case scenarios.
Fixed hover tooltips in front end menus to match perk descriptions
There is a bug that is still allowing the Man Tracker to track female targets, Frank is apparently unable to resolve this time around,maybe next patch.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Some of that sounds very interesting. It's no new map, but I'll definitely get some more play time in.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Did an update change combat again? Now I'm just getting people who are throwing a ton of attacks before I can block so fights are them stabbing me three times, getting my block up, maybe getting one counter hit in, getting shoved, stabbed three more times, trying to push them and dying.

It feels super lovely compared to the last time I played.

The combat has continued to improve and favor more skilled players imo.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

woozy pawsies posted:

The combat has continued to improve and favor more skilled players imo.

I don't count spamming attack as more skilled. And, today, one of my favorite Culling streamers is having a public meltdown over the patch. So it's not looking good.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Call Me Charlie posted:

And, today, one of my favorite Culling streamers is having a public meltdown over the patch. So it's not looking good.

Name names. You will be judged.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Fayk posted:

Name names. You will be judged.

DMRadio1

He's a weirdo but he normally wrecks it in solo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Why's he flipping out?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Call Me Charlie posted:

I don't count spamming attack as more skilled. And, today, one of my favorite Culling streamers is having a public meltdown over the patch. So it's not looking good.

drat this guy is good. Watched his stream for like 20 mins today, he wins a ton of 3 and 4 man FFAs, and not by hanging back. I don't know how you can claim spamming attack is the way to go after watching this dude, though. He blocks, shoves, throws, uses a mix of strong and power attacks, and wins doing it.

PantsBandit posted:

Why's he flipping out?

I didn't see the part where he melts down, but a big complaint was bugs. He complains of ping differences and the shove changes contributing to what you see on screen not correlating closely enough with reality, enough to make combat frustrating. I haven't played the patch yet myself though, so I'm not sure how to feel about it. I like the written word of the patch notes though, hopefully they get any bugs ironed out.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sokani posted:

drat this guy is good. Watched his stream for like 20 mins today, he wins a ton of 3 and 4 man FFAs, and not by hanging back. I don't know how you can claim spamming attack is the way to go after watching this dude, though. He blocks, shoves, throws, uses a mix of strong and power attacks, and wins doing it.

I wasn't talking about the best strategy. That post was a vent after having two matches in a row where it felt like I couldn't even compete. Which was strange because when I first got the game I could at least hold my own in a fight.

Sokani posted:

I didn't see the part where he melts down, but a big complaint was bugs. He complains of ping differences and the shove changes contributing to what you see on screen not correlating closely enough with reality, enough to make combat frustrating. I haven't played the patch yet myself though, so I'm not sure how to feel about it. I like the written word of the patch notes though, hopefully they get any bugs ironed out.

The final hour of his stream is on VOD but it's a mix of combat feeling sloppier, inability to counter spam cancel shoves due to ping, nearly half the server dropping due to crash, weapons not throwing right, weapons getting stuck after being thrown, the overpowered nature of the Cyclops drop, spears being the only real counter to armor.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had an issue, post-patch where their outfits show up fine in the game menu but once you're in the map everything resets to the default?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Constantly. It may have something to do with what screen you're on when you join the game. It seems like there are UI hitches everywhere as well.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah after having played this patch for a couple hours last night it definitely has some serious issues.

Some I can think of off the top of my head:

Push still cancels power attacks (didn't they say this would be fixed? Wtf?)
Throws still don't work sometimes (thought this was supposed to be fixed a while ago)
Major FPS drops at beginning of rounds

Also, as has been mentioned, the Cyclops drop is so poorly balanced it should be embarrassing for the devs. Someone pointed out that it actually costs less than the Tough drop. So yeah, Tough is 115 for a sledgehammer (tier 4 bludgeon), body armor, and iron skin. Cyclops is 110 for a trident (tier 4 spear), body armor, and orange juice. How did nobody realize how dumb that is?

Anyways, I'm hoping they iron this stuff out quickly. Luckily, Rocket League Hoops can fill in in the meantime.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Hotfix dropped.

patch notes posted:

Fixes
Made changes to address issues some users (typically with min-spec or below hardware) are having with long startup times and map load times. This fix should help many users, but we are continuing to investigate reports. Please submit a ticket at help.theculling.com if you are experiencing issues.
Added an “off” setting for shadows, which should improve performance for some players
Fixed a bug where Steam Items for Pixie hair and Bun hair items were not referencing the appropriate in-game item (the Steam Item now appropriately determines which in-game item you own)
Crafted Cudgel now benefits from Master Crafter Perk and Bludgeon Perks
Air Drops once again sort by FUNC cost
Cleaver is now referred to as an axe in the main menu
UI descriptions for Crafted Armor and Body Armor reflect correct armor values
Fixed Alarm Gun terminology related to Inhuman Perk in UI
Crafted Cudgel and Crafted Hatchet now display proper names when they are lying on the ground
Weakness replaced with Expose in UI elements for Axes
Fix for players not being allowed to issue invites to friends whose Steam profiles were set to “private”
Increased cost of Cyclops Air Drop to 135 from 110 FUNC
Fixed issue where HUD was reporting Trident’s melee damage value as being higher than it actually is
Fixed issue where spears were applying a bleed wound on throw
Fixed bug where Bait Crate detonation effects play each time you select a customization item while Bait Crate is equipped
Missed in original update notes: Poison gas map shutdown is now triggered when the match reaches 3 players (previously 5 players)

I don't like that poison gas shutdown starts later, especially now that the InHuman perk makes hiding away a real possibility. I guess the shutdown will probably have started naturally at that point (it starts at the 10 min mark regardless, right?). Here's hoping they keep the fixes coming, especially more meaningful, shove-related ones.

E: They also did the first wave of teamer banning, good to see action is being taken.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

If someone is spamming attack, block.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

woozy pawsies posted:

If someone is spamming attack, block.

Try reading my posts, buddy.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Maybe this will make you happy.

hotfix posted:

Fix for bug where being shoved could break control input when blocking (this was creating stun-lock scenarios)
Fix for bug where shoving while charging an attack could break weapon input

Fix for players crashing when joining a match late (related to long load times on some hardware configurations)
Cleaver now benefits from axe perks (instead of blade perks)

The rapid hotfixes are great, but I wish they didn't require the whole 2 gigs each time.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I hate Dig Deep and Angry Octopus.

I especially hate people running Big Boned and Dig Deep. Oh yeah, it's real fun to have to fight someone who essentially has 145 health! gently caress that.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I run dig deep and big boned. It's 155 health :smug:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sokani posted:

I run dig deep and big boned. It's 155 health :smug:

While I don't fault you for taking advantage of the newest retarded meta, I really wish Xaviant would think about this stuff beforehand. It actively discourages people to engage in the early game when you don't know if the guy you're attacking is going to take 20 years to kill. Meanwhile his teammate could nail you in the back at any moment.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
How the gently caress do trials work

Do I have to be there to click the button at exactly 7pm EST? Is it just a single match??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Try reading my posts, buddy.

Oh, sorry, didn't realize you just sucked and were blaming it on updates.

• Locked thread