Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tigren posted:

Stephen Goff's annual sitdown with Bruce Arena was just published and it's as fun as ever. Some highlights:

are people required to have the stupidest loving reasons to oppose promotion/relegation? phil anschutz is a nightmare human being, no one cares about his millions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

:siren: WARNING: PRO/REL CHAT IN THIS POST :siren:

The way I see it, the only chance promotion and relegation would work in the US and Canada is for MLS to be an umbrella organization, like the USL was for a while in the minor leagues. For THAT to happen, there would need to be, say, 36 teams in MLS before a split could occur. It's not just out of the owners' interests - the average NASL club's attendance is less than half of the average MLS club's. Could you imagine Edmonton's ~3,000 people helping soccer's standing in American (and Canadian) culture?

all of which are great points, it's by no means a guaranteed thing that promotion/relegation should happen or could even work here, but it'd be great if MLS would allow a serious discussion about it (and many other league changes/reforms) instead of garber just farting out of his mouth about the NFL every time it's mentioned.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tigren posted:

Anyone want to read a 60+ page academic article written by UCLA Law professor Steven Bank titled "Major League Soccer as a Case Study in Complexity Theory"?

Today's your lucky day!

He's also called Bruce Arena the "Donald Trump of TAM". This guy is awesome.

maybe Mr. Failed Academic should compare MLS rules to, say, the other soccer leagues that people actually compare them to

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

guppy posted:

Supposedly DC United majority owner Erick Thohir is named in the Panama Papers, so that's fun.

wow this guy also owns the sixers and inter and he's running all of these teams into the ground

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

our tifo guy

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bio-Hazard posted:

I, too, know better than MLS executives how to best grow and market this league to those living in the US.

I will continue to loudly voice my opinion on The Something Awful Forums because nobody is sick and tired of my posts about how hosed up this league is.

I bet those executives are reading this forum right now, and if I keep complaining about pro/rel, ratings and attendance, they'll change their ways.

:justpost:

don garber is a former NFL exec who runs MLS like a cargo cult inspired by major american sports leagues

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So what is your point? We have actual data on travel times, activity in games, training times and other factors but you want to ignore that because of your personal opinion that because people are professional athletes that they should all be able to play the same number of games per week? So a cricket player should have the same stamina as a hockey player?

no, his point is that soccer players running more than baseball players doesn't mean soccer is inherently a better sport than baseball, but that's an argument people make all the time, and it's unbearable

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The original question was "how hard is it to play multiple games per week by sport." It's literally on this page

yes, i know that. maybe he's trying to nip it in the bud? idk

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Welcome to GBS posted:

I'm not saying we don't commit fouls. But I Diego has gotten a total of two red cards in his now 6 seasons in MLS. We play the team to the level they want to bring it, but blaming the Timbers for your injury woes is pathetic. Players don't leave Providence in a wheelchair.

players get away with reckless challenges because MLS refs are bad so the fact that diego hasn't been properly punished doesn't really prove anything

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Welcome to GBS posted:

You are all so loving butt hurt it's hilarious. I know refs in MLS are poo poo. But when they gently caress up, it's reviewed, and players get punished when they do stupid poo poo. Chara is cheeky, but he's also clean and like, 5'6" so tell your poo poo overpaid teams to grow a pair.

slugger, i am a fan of none of these teams

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Xylorjax posted:

When I go to a game by myself this policy is NBD, but now you're hosed if you're A: trying to go to a game on a weeknight after work and don't have somewhere to stash your poo poo, or B: have small kids. Security Theater is bullshit regardless of where/when it's happening, but having it suck some of the enjoyment out of something I love for no good goddamn reason is infuriating.

i have been "trailed" by building security into my office because i stumbled in drunk at 11pm to pick up my bag after a baseball game. it's not a good look.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

trem_two posted:

Detroit Rock City. IMO.

this is what it would actually be called if they were founded in 1995

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i used to like the idea of generic names because it gave the fans the opportunity to organically choose their own nickname, but so far that's led to really great things like "TFC" and "shirt color" and "NYCFC" so gently caress it, i hope they pick an animal with claws. detroit mountain lions.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Good plan, let people know you're serious about establishing a winning tradition by naming your Detroit-based team "Lions".

mountain lions aren't actually lions, I'm hoping the locals' knowledge of these beautiful animals will prevent any confusion. otherwise we can go with catamounts or pumas or something.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

motor city would be a great team name

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Which would still be better than fakey "traditional" names like Real Salt Lake and Atlanta United and Orlando City SC

well lets get one thing straight: the latter two are just regular bad and boring and low effort. on the other hand, real salt lake's continued existence undermines the entire the league. real salt lake is a name you give to an under-12 rec team.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i own many jerseys and all my shorts are cutoffs

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Lets look at how MLS TV ratings are doing *scrolls down for a million years*

Just below women's golf, and bowling, and drag racing, and 9000 reruns of sportscenter. Hmm this ponzi scheme league can't draw viewers at all. They should add a lot more teams.

odd that the premier league has better ratings considering The Soccer Don has clearly established that MLS just needs to replicate other american leagues in every way and success will surely come

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hoover Dam posted:

That name owns and you fuckers know I'm an authority on goofy names

TO: REVS

Kei Kamara

TO: COLUMBUS
A big bag of GarBucks (TAM, GAM, first-rounder in 2017, second-rounder in 2018, international roster spot and cut of future transfer money)

I have no idea how to feel about this other than to confess I am more a Qdoba partisan than Chipotle in that I like queso and guac at no extra charge

where does moe's fit in this equation?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

threeagainstfour posted:

My post was mainly directed at the inferiority complex of a lot of MLS fans. It's ok for MLS to not be at the same level of play as the top European leagues and it's ok for it to have terrible TV ratings. If you're enjoying the league you shouldn't feel you have to justify these things to people who think MLS is trash.

yes but the problem isn't the level of play. most of us have watched MLS for years and years, the massively increased level of play is obvious, it's hard to complain about that anymore (particularly when the refs are so much worse). the problem is that the league as an organization is garbage and unfun to follow. few people are ever going to care about a soccer league where discussions of simple player transfers requires knowledge of DP slots and allocation money, not when it's 2016 and you can watch any league in the world just as easily. long-term success is dependent on fans showing up in person to watch their local team and develop a bond with that team, but that's inherently undermined by their refusal to accept promotion/relegation and thus spread relevant organizations to ever corner of the country. i have riverhounds season tickets but it's still pretty lovely knowing my team won't ever be a player on the national stage unless daddy warbucks shows up to pay garber $10m in unmarked bills.

anyone who complains about the level of play in MLS should be kicked in the dick. it's a minor miracle the players are as good as they are given the stupid low salary cap and bizarre restrictions on signing players.

wicka fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 13, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

KFBR392 posted:

Lol the long term success of MLS has absolutely nothing to do with the Eastern Bumfuck Riverhounds or whatever garbage team you follow

the long term success of soccer in america unquestionably has everything to do with cultivating successful organizations in every city in the country. anything less than that maintains our current status as a soccer backwater. and yeah, they are quite garbage. i bought season tickets because they included a free beer at every game. i enjoy going to the games but i have no passion whatsoever for the team. the stakes are far too low and there's no reason to expect they're going to get any higher.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I don't think the league format or transfer rules are the problem either: Americans manage to keep up with the playoffs in literally every other domestic sports league, or the arcane minutiae of the NFL, NBA, or NHL salary caps and their associated exceptions just fine.

none of these leagues have to compete with major football/basketball/hockey leagues that aren't structured in insane ways, that's the difference everyone overlooks. there is not an american football league in europe that is far more successful than the NFL, with far better players, and with far more easily understood rules that NFL has to compete against. they live in their own little bubble and can do whatever they want. one of the many dumb things that MLS has in common with the NFL is that few fans have a truly local team. few fans actually live in the city of the NFL team they sport, and even fewer regularly attend games. again, this doesn't matter with the NFL, that's just how things work. but for MLS, what is the difference between watching "your" MLS team on TV and never or rarely being able to attend a game, vs watching "your" premier league team and never or rarely being able to attend a game? it's far easier to watch premier league games. that's the difference. and that's why the premier league crushes MLS in TV ratings, why PL viewership is increasing at a faster rate, why PL teams invest more and more in the US...because MLS is doing everything they can to alienate those fans.

we keep talking about growing MLS, we should be talking about growing the sport of soccer in the US. at this stage, MLS is actively impeding that growth.

wicka fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 13, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

at every point in the resurgence of american soccer over the last 30 years, USSF (and, later, MLS) has insisted that we, as americans, HAVE to do things differently, HAVE to do things The American Way. they insisted we should ignore the established way that footballing nations have successfully operated for like 150 years. not once have they ever improved upon anything. and slowly but surely they've dropped their terrible ideas and admitted, one by one, that their terrible ideas were worse than good ideas that have been tested and fine tuned for a century. it's going to be the same with MLS, you're just wasting time, effort, and money defending them.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

be more subtle with your trolling, my man

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

no, we grow soccer by appealing to american soccer fans who aren't watching american soccer, AND by not pretending that americans have some sort of aversion to, like, simple leagues, because that's a blatant lie.

OR by implementing a very proven framework that has successfully grown soccer from the ground up worldwide, rather than being such asinine fake patriots that you think you have to enforce the mythical American Way from the top down solely because that benefits garber and his investors.

wicka fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 13, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

Meanwhile America has been successful for decades and longer running its sports in a way that evolved, organically and dare I say authentically, for the context of American sports culture (why did baseball not institute a pyramid? They sure as hell COULD have, and they are most of the way there but the minor league teams are no longer independent and don't shift tiers), but no that's actually all bullshit because Ted Westervelt doesn't like it.

it is the most childish and ignorant thing in the world to suggest that americans wouldn't like promotion/relegation simply because an exact replica of the european league system didn't organically grow here. no one knows if it would be a success because they refuse to try, and they only refuse to try because - again - it questions the value of billionaire's investments, not because they actually think fans won't like it.

that's what this is discussion is about. it's about what's best for american soccer and american soccer fans vs what's best for a tiny group of investors. the current way of doing things is only good for the latter.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

This is despite the fact most outside the top 4 teams of the top 4 leagues are in dire financial straights and would fold if they actually had to pay their debts.

hahahahahajajajahahahaha no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

everything MLS and USSF have ever done to be different has failed. they will continue to grow at a snail's pace until they stop trying this dumb and bad things. the body of evidence for this is vast and inarguable.

• Locked thread