Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
turn left thread nooooooooooh thank gently caress someone posted the March GDT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
If Porter is willing to give us Literally Anything to add to his collection of ex-Zips then more power to him.

I realise I'm going to be seething about that 2012 draft forever and Wenger isn't even THAT good (yesterday aside), it's just that Mattocks has been such a low bar to clear.

(fake edit: I should not have looked up who else went later in the first round that year, I wanted to sleep tonight.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Over in the lower league thread there's a discussion about how Orlando is supposedly trying to block the Tampa Bay Rowdies' attempt to join MLS, on the grounds that the area is part of Orlando's television market or some ridiculous nonsense. All I could think was, "Why isn't Orlando beside themselves with glee over the thought of a proper rivalry?" It's not like anyone is driving from Brandon or St. Pete to go to City games anyway.

I suppose Orlando is assuming Miami will actually join to cover that "turnpike rivalry" gap, but frankly I'm all for a third Florida team at some indeterminate point in the future when Tampa has ownership willing and able to try harder than the Mutiny did at D1 level. I don't know why Orlando would block it; are they even really part of the same TV market?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 21, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Teams had the choice whether or not to play on international breaks, apparently.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Hello Towel posted:

He's been posting a bunch of bizarre Periscope videos making threats directed towards Fire owner Andrew Hauptman.

How exactly does this differ from any other Fire fan though?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

NBCSN has better coverage of the Premier League than any network in England, and I don't think Im exaggerating. You can watch any game live with no restrictions if you have subscribe to NBCSN, which is standard in a lot of cable sports packages.

I don't like all these expansion teams because we're moving farther and farther away from each team playing each other twice and that's it. There are teams that I'll never see play in person despite going to a lot of games, and I find that annoying. I know we're well past the point of no return on this but it's pretty disheartening, especially when the league signs a superstar that is only every going to play in four or five places.

MLS is the top league for most of a literal continent. At that scale, you can have "dual round robin single table" or you can have "at least reasonably local teams across the country", and frankly if you're trying to jumpstart domestic interest in this sport the latter is the better choice.

Since American sports club owners in general are unfortunately not the sort to throw millions of dollars into a pit for vanity's sake, you only get a better quality on-field product by spending more money, and you only get more money to spend through better national TV contracts, and you only get better TV contracts and better TV coverage with a better quality on-field product (which is kind of a catch 22) or through covering more markets with at least the baseline Support Local Soccer interest level. So expansion it is, because it's a way to sidestep that vicious circle towards Better Play. Besides, even for the Secret Ted Acolytes expansion can theoretically serve as a backdoor towards pro-rel once the league gets to an even more unwieldy number of teams. :colbert:

I only kinda buy the talent dilution argument, except in the narrow sense that North American domestic players are by and large terrible and there aren't enough good ones to go around, but that will only improve with a) time, and b) widespread domestic interest in this sport and a pathway to professional play that doesn't require taking a gamble on moving to Europe at age 14. Enough other people play this sport in places where even MLS salaries look good (at least they arrive on time and the checks don't bounce) that there will always be available talent to fill at least the international spots on rosters and put a tolerable product on the field.

Really all of these things have improved in the ten years I've been watching this league, just not fast enough to meet Garber's dumb timeline, but that's honestly fine - better to take the time to build something enduring than to flame out again shooting for the moon. The Premier League took over a century to become the behemoth we know today, and soccer doesn't have to be The Best In The World to be worthwhile, especially soccer in time zones/times of year where there isn't much other soccer to watch. I don't understand why American fans get So Goddamn Angsty about this.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 15, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

SeaTard posted:

I wonder how much getting rid of the International spot cap would help. Obviously drastically raising the salary cap would help a lot more, but changing the rules so that a team could go 100% non-US/Canada would let teams bring in more decent quality players to replace the guys making minimum wage right now.

It would absolutely improve the quality of play, but the league will never go for it (and the USSF certainly won't, to the extent that the USSF can restrain MLS at all), because freezing out domestics simply because they're bad goes against half the reason the league exists in the first place.

Similarly, merely raising the salary cap while keeping the international cap in place wouldn't help nearly as much as everyone thinks, because there aren't enough good domestic players to lure back from overseas to make a difference (assuming they would even come back without Bradley/Altidore scale overpaying), and as long as two-thirds of your roster has to be domestic that's going to be a bigger restraint on the quality of your team than the salary cap could ever be.

Basically the problem is that MLS is a project to foster domestic interest in soccer (as long as the NHL can outdraw the Premier League/Liga MX on broadcast TV there is still work to do on that front) and to improve the quality of American players by giving them somewhere to play consistently and a pathway to develop, and not only do both of these goals take a long time but they actively slow down the goal of "improve quality of play ASAP".

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 15, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Tigren posted:

MLS had three Wednesday games this week. They were competing with MLB games and none of the MLS games were nationally broadcast. MLS currently broadcasts ZERO loving game on Saturdays, which is their big game day. There are seven games being played on Saturday. None are nationally televised. It's hard to generate interest when you don't show people what you're doing.

Yes, but this is the chicken-and-egg thing again. How do you get that national broadcast space (and those national broadcast dollars) when you're the fifth sport in the country (at best) AND not even the best example around of that fifth sport? Again, even "the best soccer league in the world" only occasionally draws more than a million viewers a game on US broadcast TV, so it's absolutely not just the quality of play or the existing allegiances of Liga MX audiences - and even if you conjured those factors out of whole cloth it wouldn't be sustainable because, unlike any other league in the world, an MLS drawing those numbers wouldn't also have an entirely different country where it was top dog to draw revenue from.

That level of interest in the underlying sport has to be built some other way, and we already tried "go balls-to-the-wall trying to immediately put the highest quality of play out there for the US audience" 35 years ago - it didn't get enough revenue to sustain itself across a league and flamed out. There might be more money in sports across the board now (at least until people stop paying for cable sports packages, which I suspect is coming), but the international teams you'd be competing with for the best talent ALSO have more money to throw around. Unfortunately for people that fetishize European league structures, it seems have to go wide and THEN tall - or at least it is a better alternative than "welp we were too late to this soccer thing let's just shut up shop because everyone can watch foreign leagues instead!".

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Here is my overall issue with MLS. The league is 20 years old and people constantly say "look how much it's improved in that time!" Well, why are we looking at 1996 to 2016? Shouldn't there be major differences in quality on the field between 2010 and 2016, given that represents major expansion, lots of incoming money, new stadiums, new broadcasting deals, online streaming etc? That time period is 30% of the league's existence, but the quality of play hasn't improved. Those who argue it has are simply looking at certain clubs rising as a result of the league being wildly erratic and inconsistent.

It strikes me here that the league still heavily relies on domestic players, by design, and six years isn't long enough to cycle a new generation of domestic players through (and MLS couldn't fix the awful US development system on its own even if it operated exactly like the PL in every jot and title). The international contingent IS getting better for the increase in revenues, but their influence is limited except on the highlight reels.

Also I doubt it is a coincidence that both you and Ciprian are cursed with having current-vintage DC United as your local team, because yeah you're definitely getting the shortish end of the stick so far as ownership actually trying to improve the teams goes. (I say shortish because Chicago and Colorado still exist).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 15, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

To be fair it is Olsen so maybe the league is doing you a favour.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I suppose that the born-raised-and-living-in-Detroit billionaire and the currently-owns-another-Detroit-sports-team billionaire might possibly have some attachment to Detroit, but they have the money to run a team and build a stadium, and Detroit has a ton of people who currently don't have a pro soccer team, so the suits in league HQ probably had their eyes light up just like when the Rams move was finalised.

On the bright side they can probably buy the land for a downtown stadium out of pocket change, as opposed to...how's Austin's search to replace the Aztex' flooded-out park going, anyway?

edit: vvvv oh yeah I forgot about the Windsor/SW Ontario commuting types, this gets better and better.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 27, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to GBS posted:

I can't believe I agree with this guy on something. Is Colorado winning the SS bigger than Leicester winning the EPL? No, but it should be.

No, because the entire point of our dumb league's dumb rules is to make "doing a Leicester" merely improbable rather than a feat worthy of worldwide celebration.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

DC United just signed a dude who has a heart problem that can cause sudden death. MLS has been advised he shouldn't play by his former league's doctors and FIFA has tried to convince the player directly to retire.

I imagine you were like Fancy once, and then DC United broke you. (hell, Fancy isn't even much like Fancy this year.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Tigren posted:

Hahaha, yes, trade away the golden boot runner up and fan favorite because he wants to score more goals. Great way to make your fans happy Precourt.

Even if he IS an arrogant locker room cancer and that's why they're trying to move him, there are teams who need goals who will take him (but far fewer who can take his salary, so I suppose the Columbus Drama Crew soap opera will make waves in this summer's rerun season.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

In actual news, thread nemesis Steven Lenhart looks like he won't be seeing the field ever again.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

What's interesting is that the slowly-moving but slowly-gaining-steam concept of a Canadian Soccer League run by the teams in the CFL supposedly has a 2018 start year now. The rumor that goes with it is that the CSA might actually name the all-Canadian league as their Division 1.

This seems likely enough to happen (loving finally) but Swansea still play in the PL despite the existence of a Welsh league (or the Wellington Phoenix in the A-League, etc.) so nothing is likely to change for the Canadian teams in MLS. (in particular, the CSA will probably still use the Canadian Championship to award that CL spot, or perhaps lobby the new federation president, who happens to be Canadian, to give us a second?).

I am, shall we say, not convinced that a) you could sustainably run the quality of league we all want to see on solely the level of interest or TV ratings you get for the PL in America (even NBC's PL TV deal is worth only twice as much as MLS gets per year from Fox/ESPN/Univision ($160m/year vs $90m/year), by contrast the PL's domestic deal is worth $2.4b/year, the NFL's $6b, NBA at $2.6b, MLB's about $1.6b, NHL's about $1b), so even if you were running the Platonic Ideal of Soccer Leagues in the US you'd still be dwarfed in TV interest by the domestic leagues that are Doing It Wrong.

Garber's insane goal that we make fun of ITT DEPENDS on unlocking the drawing power of a domestic titan like the NFL or PL - if that doesn't happen we're likely to stay more or less where we are as a second or third tier league on the world stage, which some of us are honestly just fine with.

I agree that the quality of play is necessarily the problem - people obsess over college and high school sports in your country despite the level of play because they're local and personally connected in a way the professional leagues cannot necessarily be because the US is big and people move around a lot - but that's why US leagues are usually around 30 teams, to try to cover as much of that space as possible and give as many people as possible a local team they can show up in the stands for and cultivate that interest.

I don't think the league format or transfer rules are the problem either: Americans manage to keep up with the playoffs in literally every other domestic sports league, or the arcane minutiae of the NFL, NBA, or NHL salary caps and their associated exceptions just fine.

(They are, however, a problem for US soccer fans, because it means every place to discuss soccer on the Internet gets its very own ghetto for MLS in the vain hope of carrying on a discussion with slightly fewer trolls who are shocked SHOCKED that they do things differently in a foreign country.)

The problem is the level of interest in soccer in the US and Canada, and that's something that will only grow, or not, with time. Baseball used to be the unchallenged pastime of America, now the only people that say that are nostalgic old people and contrarian hipsters.

All that said, I do think that some sort of closed-format pro/rel is in the league's far future: when MLS can control it by having enough teams in enough big markets that relegation doesn't mean away games in Tulsa that nobody will watch. USSF will likely play ball: a lot of pro/rel leagues require some sort of "license" at the bottom level where you have to meet certain business requirements to be "promoted" from the leagues below.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 13, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

wicka posted:

none of these leagues have to compete with major football/basketball/hockey leagues that aren't structured in insane ways, that's the difference everyone overlooks. there is not an american football league in europe that is far more successful than the NFL, with far better players, and with far more easily understood rules that NFL has to compete against. they live in their own little bubble and can do whatever they want.

Yes, but in 2016 America, these established leagues in other sports still have to compete with other stuff for attention and TV audiences, including foreign sports that are easier to watch than ever before. And the foreigners still get blown out of the water in US audience levels even though THEY have the advantage of being scheduled five hours ahead so they don't always have to compete directly against this continent's vast array of more popular sports for eyeballs, PLUS the advantage of their, to hear you tell it, objectively superior and easier to follow league rules.

I don't think you're a troll, honestly, just that we're never going to agree on this core premise: I think the only way to grow a domestic soccer league in the US and Canada to the point where it ISN'T second-rate (not necessarily MLS but as long as they continue to exist let's just assume it will be them) is through appealing to people who are currently watching other sports, because the audience numbers required to get the money to run a Good League in this era of Modern Football, when you are competing for talent against European leagues where the money comes in fountains and trying to convince talented domestic youth to try pro soccer, can only be found in that group of potential fans.

There simply aren't enough of us otherwise, TV networks will ignore us and shove us on channel 300 at dumb-as-gently caress timeslots for a pittance, and then here we are. Obviously we can't change the rules of the game itself to appeal to them (well, that was tried and rightfully found dumb) but we can run a league in a way that meets them on common ground. By contrast, you think a US league can get to those heights off people who are already fans of soccer but just not watching domestic soccer for whatever reason. Meanwhile the PL's US TV ratings suggest the ceiling is not actually that high yet.

quote:

we keep talking about growing MLS, we should be talking about growing the sport of soccer in the US. at this stage, MLS is actively impeding that growth.

So we grow the sport of soccer in the US by trying to tailor it structurally to the tastes of the vast minority of Americans who are already fans?? :confused:

Meanwhile America has been successful for decades and longer running its sports in a way that evolved, organically and dare I say authentically, for the context of American sports culture (why did baseball not institute a pyramid? They sure as hell COULD have, and they are most of the way there but the minor league teams are no longer independent and don't shift tiers), but no that's actually all bullshit because Ted Westervelt doesn't like it.

Christ, no wonder American sports fans have that dumb Not Invented Here It's Bullshit reaction to soccer, when so many American soccer fans have that Invented Here It's Bullshit reaction to American sports.

tl;dr: fans are the worst, kill all fans.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 13, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

KFBR392 posted:

For example - I think MLS should immediately move away from their stupid schedule and to a home and away format with the playoffs cast into oblivion. That's a good change that apes a universal system from other soccer league.

Hi, this is the part of this discussion when I note MLS used to play a home and away schedule (with playoffs, yes) but shelved it when teams (like, say, mine) would bitch about the endless travel because hey who'd have thought that schedules designed for countries smaller than many US states (and also Russia, which may well play home-and-away but also has most of its top division teams in the relatively small part of Russia wherein people actually live) don't work well in the third-largest single country in the world, which plays in a joint league with the second-largest.

There is probably a way to do home-and-away scheduling in MLS while keeping aggregate travel reasonable (I've seen gimmick schedules that make the attempt, I'm not really in a position to evaluate how good they are) but holy gently caress regionalising things is SO MUCH EASIER.

KFBR392 posted:

Promotion and relegation rely on lower level clubs having some sort of existing goodwill and value, which simply doesn't exist and won't exist in America for another 100 years if at all.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

MLS will go to pro/rel when we get our expansion jimmies out at about 32. Hopefully, the NASL will be have their head out of their own asses at that point and MLS will buy them and USL to create MLS1, MLS2, and MLS3, where MLS3 consists of all the '2' clubs and PDL. This will take another 10-15 years.

:agreed:

On the bright side, it's Friday, soccer is on tonight! (even if the choices are between an impromptu Spanish lesson, Ramses fuckin' Sandoval, and hoping Sky picked this game to air and I can find a stream.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Carl Robinson's okay I guess?

Aside from some personnel decisions I would have made differently (dumping Beitashour's salary and relying on our rotating cast of out-of-position (Parker, Aird) or incompetent (Smith) twentysomethings to replace him :argh:) and a tendency to be too loyal to our horribly inconsistent strikers I genuinely have no complaints (or at least no Olsen/Mastroeni/Coyle/Vanney level complaints.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Isn't Kreis holding out for Sigi (or Klinsmann)'s job to come open? It sure looks like it at this point.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Between him and Blas Perez we have one complete (rear end in a top hat of a) depth striker who isn't an utterly terrible finisher for if Kudo gets injured again, and we're only on the hook for half a season of his contract.

Not ideal but for a midseason rental deal I'll take it I guess?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

I don't think he'll go. He's The Guy in KC right now and he seems happy enough. What is it with MLS players heading to Greece/Cyprus, anyway?

In some cases (Doneil Henry?) it's an easy way to get an EU passport. Mostly it's just a league that's still in Europe but that good MLS players will look decent in.

In any case, it looks like KC aren't selling:

https://twitter.com/SamMcDowell11/status/757582040766087168

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Fabian Espindola seems to have rejected being traded to the Whitecaps because "he doesn't want to go to a foreign country"

I agree with Espindola why bother going to China if it's not for the stupid money in the CSL.

I had incredibly low expectations for the Espindola trade and the FO has still somehow managed to disappoint. Gold star! At least it's a karmic reverse of the Rochat trade and I have that to laugh at.

Ah, well, we'll sell his contract rights to Mexico or something and bring someone else in if need be. I'm not sold on this Esqueda rumour but eh, whatever, if Kudo can avoid getting injured again I'm okay with him as the #1 for the end of the season.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Azerban posted:

we've never had a real coach and we won't start now

Wasn't Schmid rumoured to be retiring after this year anyway? Maybe he's done early.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

camoseven posted:

They won't get fined, but they will be suspended for the next league match.

Which shouldn't make a difference for someone like Jones who is ACTUALLY injured, I guess was the reasoning.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Good to have back up for BWP but I still want a big money signing.

The summer transfer window closes in an hour two hours so I would not be optimistic (unless your big money signing is somehow still a free agent).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 4, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The on-again/off-again Fabian Castillo-to-Trabzonspor deal appears to be on again: https://twitter.com/Trabzonspor/status/761243618673909761

(loan with option to buy, SI says 3m upfront for the loan with an undisclosed fee for the option)

also, yeah I know Davies is a Local Boy Done...Okayish but from an on-field perspective the only downside for NE is that they did the deal too late to actually use any of those Garberbucks before December.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 4, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

That is an astonishingly bad deal, goddamn. And I thought DC and the Revs were the Awful Stadium Situation champions.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

That whole "last Euro team" announcement did read like he'd end up overseas eventually but it's hard to see Chicago outbidding the inevitable Chinese/Qatari megadeal, unfortunately (especially since he's still under contract so if United wanted a fee you couldn't sign him until January).

This is of course assuming you don't just want to "trade" him to Columbus and their thriving German community for Garberbucks.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Giovinco got injured in the derby against Montreal and will be out for a month, because TFC can't have nice things.

Meanwhile, after failing to win yet another surprisingly winnable game on Saturday, I am etching the gravestone of Vancouver's season (of course the epitaph will be "they never scored").

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

lmbo but fine with him leaving the hemisphere

He heard the Turkish government had arrested a ton of league refs for allegedly being coup supporters and he just knew it was his once-in-a-lifetime chance to shine.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

This has too many sentences for a GDT post so I moved it here.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Vancouver has completely fallen off this year. They've still got an incredible GK in Ousted, but they've got an attack-ish-minded setup when they can't attack. Like, even if you turtled into Olsenaccio, your ceiling is just sneaking into the playoffs.

Maybe last year was the aberration and this is just regressing to the mean, it's hard to tell really. I think the bigger problem has been that all the bizarre defensive mistakes and suspensions I expected last year when our top CB pairiing was literally Kendall Waston and Pa-Modou Kah instead happened this year, and letting Beitashour leave without replacing him (tbf finding good fullbacks at any level is difficult) means we have an obvious gaping hole at RB that teams have been exploiting all season. Jordan Smith has rapidly surpassed Atiba Harris as My Arch-Nemesis, while Fraser Aird is okay for his age but a) not a fullback and b) has been injured.

But also our creative DP #10 is a year older and showing it so we're relying heavily on longballs and speed (which is one thing we're not short of), while every striker we've had since Camilo was in some way snakebit, and our one effective offensive option broke his foot and was out for the season.

The Espindola trade was really whatever, at least we made a profit out of it which was like the second-best possible outcome, and vastly more likely than his actually coming good. A panic midseason acquisition...well, any one we could realistically get barring a Surprise Bendtner DP Signing was never going to be a sure thing anyway. Might as well write off this season and try again next year, Saturday just made it...well, not official official but frankly close enough.

Hello Towel posted:

If I were asked to name all the teams in MLS in 2 minutes, I bet Vancouver would be the one I miss. They're just totally off my radar.

'Twas ever thus. Vancouver is, somehow, the third wheel on two separate bikes and this year has the added bonus of being A Bad Team (granted all the Cascadia teams are bad this year in their own special way).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

foobardog posted:

The team post for Vancouver should be just "Mostly harmless."

I just skipped doing it this year because I forgot to update it but this is a much better idea.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

foobardog posted:

e: vvv Yeah, that's a bigger problem. The playoff games have been really poorly spaced out the past couple of years.

The fact that we insist on having two-legged series and also on respecting the November international break kinda makes this inevitable, though? (that and the two-week break before the final, which I guess is logistically necessary if they don't know where the final will BE until that point?)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Bedoya will be the Wynalda of the 2020s-30s and they both know it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

On one hand this seems like a terrible idea for everyone involved, on the other hand I am always in favour of the Galaxy doing dumb things so go on, you do you.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm pretty sure the Champions League final has always been a single game at a randomly-chosen venue, and that dates back to the early 1950's.

But that said, that works in Europe, but (for example) the Copa Libertadores, CCL, and Voyageurs' Cup are all two-legged finals for pretty similar reasons: not enough people would be able or willing to go to a neutral site final given the distances involved, and those competitions chose to give both teams a home date instead of picking one through some obscure process (like the USOC now does - how the hell do they assign that these days?), since there isn't a league stage to assign home field advantage in a way that feels fair (like the MLS Cup has).

A two-legged final is just the shortest possible series (which basically every other non-football American sport has), and they're pretty common even in soccer on this side of the pond. It wouldn't be Alien And Unamerican to do it but there simply isn't the time (to my great relief, since two-legged finals simply Feel Weird to me, like they would I guess to anyone who came to soccer fandom via Europe).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 12, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

I was just making the point that the CL final has been single-leg since something like 1955 so, no, they don't have a neutral site, one-off final because they're aping the Superb Owl.

Yeah, I'd meant to post earlier in the discussion and should probably have quoted someone else.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Going to the open cup game tomorrow. I can't wait to watch FC Dallas let me down. It's kinda their thing.

Losing cup finals is kinda New England's thing so some long-suffering fan will come out happy either way?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

He was hot garbage.

"Versatile" my rear end. Dude somehow managed to play almost 400 games in MLS but was never deemed good enough to get a call up for the US. That has to be a record.

Call it 30-50 people who are "good enough to get a callup for the US" at any given time (and let's be honest, lots of them are playing in Europe). At the same time, there are like 300 domestic players in MLS. If that's your standard then pretty much all of them are hot garbage (granted, this may be true.)

But every league besides maybe the upper echelon teams of the PL/BL/La Liga has those guys. At this level, you can't realistically fill twenty rosters with world-beaters and international-quality players, you need reliable journeyman types (the journey is optional, I think Jewsbury played for like two different teams in his career?) - and arguably, you SHOULDN'T fill twenty rosters with world-beaters if you don't want to have England's national team problems, because a national team pool needs playing time somewhere.

Basically:

Your Boy Fancy posted:

It's a different sort of metric, I think. Dude managed to make a steady living in America, playing soccer, for an entire career. A journeyman dude can do that now. It's a weirder signpost, but it's one I'll take.

This wasn't previously the case. I'm glad it is now. There's still some way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Tigren posted:

Doesn't change the fact that Jack Jewsbury, while a noble foot soldier in the American Soccer world, is a minor blip on the retirement radar.

Oh, absolutely. I'm not going to pour out a forty for Jewsbury or whatever. But I understand why Timbers or SKC fans would, even though he was an Objectively Mediocre Player, and I'm not going to poo poo on them for it. I'm glad guys like him have been able to stick it out and make a decent living as dedicated team players, and I'm glad that their teams and fans recognise and respect that.

• Locked thread