Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

My bold prediction is that the Chicago Fire will not finish last in the East.

But also won't make the playoffs.

For real: I hope Paunovic's fast, pressing style will work during the regular season. It was really fun to watch in the preseason.

It's a big change from...whatever the hell Frank Yallop was doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I can't believe we won that game. And that Mike Magee still has his magic powers of stealth and making defenses forget he exists.

Starter Injury list: Kennedy, Johnny Two Saints, Gerrard, Van Damme.

Magee made Frank Yallop forget he existed for over a year!

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Your Boy Fancy posted:

tried a little too hard for way too long

So, like half of the posts in this thread.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

It looks like Sean Johnson wants out of Chicago. You'd think after alienating player after player (Soumare, Rolfe, Magee, Pineda, Hunter Jumper, probably others) Andrew Hauptman would realize that maybe he should do something different.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

David Accam is Very Good.

The rest of the Fire...ehhhhhhhhh.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

So Fire-Crew tomorrow is at the exact same time that Indiana plays Kentucky in the NCAAs.

If I die from a sports-rivalry-induced aneurysm, don't put "goon" on my tombstone.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

foobardog posted:

MLS should make sure every team has a road trip about 3 hours away, it's a good balance between accessible and not too close.

This is why we need more Midwest teams. Detroit and/or Indy would be perfect.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Now that my team is out of the NCAAs, I can concentrate my full attention on MLS. That may be the saddest sentence I've ever written.

I really hope the Fire can sign another attacker at some point this year. Igboananike just isn't a pure striker, Gilberto has been a step off this year, and Accam can't do it alone.

The defense, while not perfect, already looks better than last year. But we aren't going to win games without an offensive plan that's more than "hoof it up to Accam and hope he does something with it."

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

At least you guys have escalators.

A lot of El stations still just have stairs, most of which are soaked with years of bodily fluids and trash.

In MLS news: the Fire might sign some rando from Hungary? :shrug:

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

So, uh, I think Bakary Soumare is having some issues.

He's been posting a bunch of bizarre Periscope videos making threats directed towards Fire owner Andrew Hauptman.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

No one is denying that, and that kind of stuff has been coming out over the last few years already (see Hunter Jumper). But this is a new level of bizarre.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

If the Fire don't win at NYCFC this week, they will tie the record for longest away winless streak.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Talk about dilution of talent or whatever, but more teams in the Midwest would be a cool and good thing.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Harry Shipp returns to Chicago tomorrow, in what is likely to be a profoundly depressing match for my fellow Fire fans.

If the defense manages to hold Montreal scoreless for 40 minutes they will set the Fire record for most minutes without giving up a goal though! That's something I didn't expect to see from this poo poo-rear end team.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 15, 2016

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Comparing soccer to popular American sports and going "heh, look how much more our players run :smug:" is a perennial argument among American soccer fans, and I find it completely inexplicable.

All of these pro athletes, in any sport, are doing more physical activity in a week than most people do in years.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Chicago's game against Montreal made it abundantly clear that this team isn't getting anywhere close to climbing out of the basement without David Accam.

I had (low) hopes for Gilberto and Alvarez, but they've both been atrocious. Half the time they can't even get a corner anywhere close to a Fire player. Gilberto has wasted so many chances by having a terrible first touch and not looking for teammates.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

The Fire's security let some guy get on the field during the Montreal game, where he was apparently pushed over by a player because security couldn't catch him.

Monterrey is beyond incompetent.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I've never had a problem fitting all my stuff into the pockets of my skinny jeans tbh.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Gargan's goal for Chicago vs. TFC weeks after they traded him away was :krad:

Not a great defender though.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

A team in Detroit would be cool and way better than another team in Texas or some poo poo.

Rust Belt 4 Life

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 27, 2016

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

MoPZiG posted:

Red Wings and Pistons are good names. I have faith Detroit could come up with something decent...

The Pistons name comes from Fort Wayne, Indiana, though. In fact, most of the sports team still in FW have great names: Mad Ants, Tincaps, and Mastodons.

Put an MLS team in Fort Wayne. Have Jamar Beasley come back home to manage it.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 28, 2016

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Honestly who even buys jerseys? I think I own, like, one Fire jersey, and I got it when I was a kid.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Xylorjax posted:

Are you one of those "men don't wear shorts" people too?

I personally never wear shorts, but other people of any gender identity can wear whatever they want

As long as it's not a jersey

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

be nice wicka posted:

i own many jerseys and all my shorts are cutoffs

I'm going to allow it

David Accam is still out with an injury for this weekend. You're welcome for the 3 points, DC.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

The Fire are getting some dude, Khaly Thiam, on loan from MTK Budapest in the Hungarian OTP Bank Liga.

Just the kind of splashy signing that will put butts in the seats.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Last year, former Fire player Hunter Jumper posted a bunch of tweets criticizing the Fire's medical care of him and other former players, including Mike Videira, whose career was allegedly shortened or ended by bad care.

Bakary Soumare is apparently suing the team and/or MLS (according to his Twitter).

Since the Fire had an off weekend, I thought I would put my law school education to some kind of use and look into some public court records. I couldn't find Soumare's case, but it turns out that there's a lawsuit out against the club's athletic trainers.

The hole of dysfunction in Bridgeview grows ever deeper.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Part of me thinks that when Chicago NASL starts up next year we could have a situation like the one with the Chicago Blackhawks and Chicago Wolves before Bill Wirtz died, where fans were so sick of the big team that the minor league became just as big of a draw for a brief period of time.

And then the Fire eventually win a couple of championships and everyone bandwagons onto them? Nah, that won't happen.

I'm still not convinced that Chicago NASL is even going to get off the ground, because they're going to run into the same problems (e.g. crowded market, finding space to play somewhere in the city) the Fire ran into ~10 years ago with less clout and organizational experience.

But we'll see. I hope they do well.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

threeagainstfour posted:

My post was mainly directed at the inferiority complex of a lot of MLS fans. It's ok for MLS to not be at the same level of play as the top European leagues and it's ok for it to have terrible TV ratings. If you're enjoying the league you shouldn't feel you have to justify these things to people who think MLS is trash.

I think most of us in here already agree with this sentiment, or else we wouldn't be here.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I don't really care that much about broader notions of "American soccer" or whatever the gently caress you guys are parachuting in here to post about.

I just like watching my local team, hanging out with my friends who also like the same team, and yelling at people who like other teams and then buying them a drink afterwards.

Isn't that the whole loving point?

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I didn't get to watch the Fire game last night and I'm probably happier for it.

This team is just :smith: personified right now.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Paunovic is a good coach; I hope we can hold onto him. Accam is almost definitely on his way out, though, along with Sean Johnson.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Fire sign Dutch striker Michael de Leeuw, but he won't join until July.

He's the next in an illustrious line of Dutch strikers in Chicago that includes Sherjill MacDonald and Collins John.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Truly a who's who list of who? and who?

Seven career MLS goals between them. Real scintillating stuff.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

So this Dutch guy is signing fresh from a team in Thailand. I'm sure he'll be worth every penny. Seriously there have been guys who've washed out of the NASL and USL who end up there. Quality stuff from Chicago.

Huh? He was last under contract at FC Groningen.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

We did just sign a guy from the Hungarian league, so it isn't that far-fetched.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

That map is not wrong for Chicago/Bridgeview.

The El is generally good but it sucks taking the Orange Line to Midway and then getting on a slow-rear end PACE bus that only runs once an hour to the stadium.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

We're still in last place...but by fewer points! :woop:

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

They were a club before the energy drinks you know.

New York/New Jersey Metrostars - what a great, non-embarrassing name.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

If you lose to Chicago, you probably deserve to get fired.

Caleb Porter, you're next. :gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Oduro's got one or two more left in him

He can pull a Jon Busch and come back to Chicago for one last lovely hurrah.

Pair him with David Accam; they'll get 20 shots a game and put 1 of them on target between them.

• Locked thread