Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Stephen Goff's annual sitdown with Bruce Arena was just published and it's as fun as ever. Some highlights:

quote:

What do you think of promotion and relegation here?

“Impossible.”

Why?

“Because of all the resources that have been dedicated to build this league by ownership. You are going to tell someone: ‘Goodbye?’ You’re going to tell Phil Anschutz, who has spent millions and millions building this league, that next year he may be playing in the NASL because his team had a bad year?”

Maybe someday, if all the leagues evolve …

“You’re in a dream world.”

quote:

Did someone accuse you of cheating?

“I’m sure they have.”

There is a perception out there …

“Yeah, we cheat all the time. We’re the last team in the league that didn’t get away with anything.”

What do you think of that perception …

“It’s stupidity and jealousy.”

quote:

Can you name all the different mechanisms in MLS in which clubs can acquire players?

“Yeah.”

Okay, name them.

“Is this supposed to be funny?”

No. I don’t do funny. It’s just that there are a lot of them …

“I just did a report on that. Can I read the report on my computer?”

Sure …

“I can tell you without looking at it, but I just did this report. Hold on … I did this off the top of my head, so maybe you think I am going to be wrong, but what I have is: designated player, discovery process, MLS trades, MLS SuperDraft, allocation process. Plus waivers, re-entry, free agency.”

You forgot homegrown!

“I guess I should put that on. But we’re not acquiring them; they’re our players through the academy system.”

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

are people required to have the stupidest loving reasons to oppose promotion/relegation? phil anschutz is a nightmare human being, no one cares about his millions.

I don't believe it's a requirement wicka.

However, I do believe MLS is still in love with and indebted to Phil Anshutz. He and the Kraft family will run this league until the day it dies.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

:siren: WARNING: PRO/REL CHAT IN THIS POST :siren:

The way I see it, the only chance promotion and relegation would work in the US and Canada is for MLS to be an umbrella organization, like the USL was for a while in the minor leagues. For THAT to happen, there would need to be, say, 36 teams in MLS before a split could occur. It's not just out of the owners' interests - the average NASL club's attendance is less than half of the average MLS club's. Could you imagine Edmonton's ~3,000 people helping soccer's standing in American (and Canadian) culture?

Could you imagine Philadelphia Union or Chicago Fire helping soccer's standing in American culture?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Ladies and gentlemen, your week 1 standings:

I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but the Galaxy look like the clear front runners for the title. And DC United, well, their results speak for themselves.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I'm all about the weird poo poo but this tried a little too hard for way too long

mls.txt

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Riven posted:

And not against some other waster team.

That's up for debate.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Anyone want to read a 60+ page academic article written by UCLA Law professor Steven Bank titled "Major League Soccer as a Case Study in Complexity Theory"?

Today's your lucky day!

He's also called Bruce Arena the "Donald Trump of TAM". This guy is awesome.

Tigren fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 14, 2016

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Everyone knows the first 32 games don't matter. Win those last two games and get hot for the playoffs. Boom, MLS Cup in your hands.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Hello Towel posted:

So Fire-Crew tomorrow is at the exact same time that Indiana plays Kentucky in the NCAAs.

If I die from a sports-rivalry-induced aneurysm, don't put "goon" on my tombstone.

Here's lies Hello Towel, he watched MLS.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Star Man posted:

It's nice to know that the Rapids aren't the worst team in the league.

For now.

With single entity, we're all the worst team in the league! Hooray!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

4-6 weeks. At least we won a couple games early that we would usually have tied or lost.

Hopefully this means McBean gets more chances with the first team.

He just got named captain of Los Dos, I'm not sure they'll give him up now. We have Mike Magee and Alan Gordon to fill in.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

DC team update: still poop

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I hope we get more teams playing in MLB stadiums. gently caress it, go KC Wiz/SJ Earthquakes style and play in minor league baseball or college soccer stadiums.

Let them play!

Oh, also, replace Don Garber with Jurgen Klinsmann please.

Tigren fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 14, 2016

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

effectual posted:

Also maybe they're building for the future. Get more kids interested in soccer because there's a local team, then they'll become paying fans (or players) when they're older.

Most americans don't know good soccer from bad, it's not like premier games are shown on network tv much (or ever?), we just want a few goals a game and some cool cheering.

Americans know that Barcelona and Man City and Munich all play way better soccer than MLS. It's crystal clear that MLS is many many levels below the quality of those teams. The basic, fundamental skill level of MLS players is so far below that it's obvious to even non-soccer fans.

And the minimum salary for an MLS player is still $62,500. Can you imagine being a rookie on SJ Earthquakes or NYRB or any team that isn't in the loving rust belt? So glad I dedicated my whole life to to make a minimum living salary.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Liga MX already gets more viewers than the NHL though, Liga MX outdraws cable (non PPV) UFC events. MLS has no excuse for its awful viewer numbers except the terrible quality of the play on the field and lmao at the idea that getting a team in the festering Wastelands of Detroit would remedy that issue.

And the fact that it's only 20 years old. People have established connections to other teams already. People don't watch Liga MX because of the high level of play, they watch because they already have an interest there. It's hard to steal people's interest away from other leagues if they've been watching those their whole lives.

MLS had three Wednesday games this week. They were competing with MLB games and none of the MLS games were nationally broadcast. MLS currently broadcasts ZERO loving game on Saturdays, which is their big game day. There are seven games being played on Saturday. None are nationally televised. It's hard to generate interest when you don't show people what you're doing.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
In other news, this tackle was reviewed by the powers that be and was decided to not be a red card offense. Yet De Jong is suspended for three games.

http://i.imgur.com/X8bY1yD.gifv

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

ScooterMcTiny posted:

This is the hardest part for me. NBC has made it so easy to see every drat EPL game and as a soccer fan trying to get into MLS, not being able to sit down on my couch at match time and find anything on tv is incredibly frustrating.

You're in luck! Tonight, you can tune in to the Galaxy game in Spanish. Or turn your Spanish into quite possibly the worst English language broadcast team around using your SAP button.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

Actually I'm thinking the Eastern European/Russian fans who throw bananas on the field and start riots at every local derby match are probably worse.

Probably

Riots vs. being a Timbers fan

your choice

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Detroit Bailouts
Detroit Lead (then they can have a rivalry with Bethlehem Steel)

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

GrantWahl posted:

Hearing Columbus is trying to trade Kei Kamara pre-deadline, but it's hard to move DPs since so many teams have the maximum 3 DPs already.

Hahaha, yes, trade away the golden boot runner up and fan favorite because he wants to score more goals. Great way to make your fans happy Precourt.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Fucitol posted:

Pogatetz was cut not long after airing out some laundry about missing playing time. To be fair to Pogatetz, he was benched in favor of chumble gently caress defender Tyson Wahl. Who knows what amount of quaaludes went into the idea that Tyson Wahl is better than someone who has spent significant time as the Austrian team's captain.

Moving Kamara is pretty loving stupid, and it just shows that Berhalter cannot contend with people that buck against the grain. Not to mention the fact that he makes absolutely no adjustments to his supreme vision. He'll put square pegs into round holes until they fit goddamnit. Any of the handful of dweebs putting out feelers in their wordspace blog about berhalter being on the short list to take klinsmann's spot are skullfuck idiots.

i wonder what poo poo player adam bedell is up to these days...

the good news is the crew still has a sack of coleslaw in the form of conor casey to smack some balls into the net when they bow out of their second 2016 open cup game. lol

This is what makes guys like Sigi and Bruce so successful. They actually manage these man-children and make sure their egos don't explode all over the team.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Star Man posted:

I am devoid of all individual thought. Please tell me what I'm supposed to hate.

All teams that aren't yours. And DC even if they are yours.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: JOZY UPDATE :siren: :siren: :siren:

He's out 6-8 weeks, will miss up to 11 TFC games and the Copa

Great signing, good job

TFC gonna miss all those goals Jozy was scoring. Oh, he hasn't scored at all this season?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Bruce Arena at his best:

On if he feels that they stole a point:
“Stolen? It was a good game and we played very well in the second half. That’s not stealing a game. Stealing a game is when you’re just crap for a game which we see often in our league and you win. We weren’t crap on the day.”

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

And also now Birnbaum rumored on the way to the Netherlands. Ffs. Losing Kitchen, Birnbaum, and (maybe) Hamid would be disastrous. Not to mention Najar not long ago.

You'll still have Ben Olsen...

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Owen Coyle is a bigger fraud than Ben Olsen. He wasn't successful in Europe and he definitely was not here.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Nyarko, probably tied for best player for DC united, this year had his second concussion of the year recently and his 7th or 8th in recent memory. Probably out for a while

I was about to make a snarky comment about losing MLS journeyman Patrick Nyarko, but it turns out DC is only his second team. I could have sworn he was chasing Chad Barrett for Player Cut By Most Teams in MLS.

Anyone know what player has played for the most MLS teams? Chad has got 6. Dan Gargan got to 6 also.

Atiba Harris has seven!

Tigren fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 27, 2016

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

LionYeti posted:

How the gently caress are the rapids still top in the supporters shield race?

Because this happens in the 94th minute to give Montreal the game:

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/736743998493065217

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Hungryjack posted:

Last weekend, there was a nasty 100 mile trail race outside of San Diego. 32,000' of elevation gain and a very exposed course. I was checking the results because one of my favorite runners finished 4th and won the masters division (over 40).

Check out who won

And check out who finished 9th.

It's Nate Jaqua

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

Another tico to MLS, Keyner Brown is going to Houston. He's a decent CB but nothing special.

More then Houston can say

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Real Name Grover posted:

So Clarence Goodson (who had announced he was having season-ending surgery earlier today) let his Twitter get hacked. I think.

Looks like someone forgot to login to their alt

Is it just me or does season-ending surgery for Goodson also probably mean career ending? I think I read a rumor that both he and Bernardez are retiring at the end of the season. That would leave such a gaping hole in the SJ team,

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
drat there's a lot of hostility towards Alejandro Bedoya. What did he do to all of you?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Does anyone know the particulars of the new rules surrounding the all star game? I know the league instituted some new idiotic policy and I can't find the rules.

Jermaine Jones is getting an MRI on one of his bad knees and I seriously doubt he'll play. Does that mean he's getting fined, suspended, or nothing at all?

I'm sure there are other players in the same boat like Kaka, will they get fined too?

I believe if you miss the All Star game, you miss the next league game or some stupid poo poo like that.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
So Castillo to Trabzonspor and apparently Sean Franklin is being looked at by Gaziantepspor. Get you some Turkey!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Is anyone in town for the All Star game? Is anyone at the homegrown game?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

camoseven posted:

No one is at the homegrown game. Source: I'm watching on MLS Live for some reason.

I know. Source I'm sitting wherever I want in the stadium.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

camoseven posted:

How much were tickets?

$25 through ticket master or free if you went to any of the fan fest crap.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Akindele played on the wing enough the past two seasons, and Rosales is also an experienced winger even though he's not as fast as he used to be. Between the two of them and Barrios, I bet they can hold down the fort until Pareja finds the next Fabi chilling in the Colombian second division.

Edit: I think Coy Craft also played winger in his loan to OKC, and Pareja is apparently pretty keen on his potential.

You know how Fabi kinda faded because other teams caught on to his act? That's because the rest of the team doesn't have enough dangerous pieces to pull attention. I predict the team will perform well, but will regress as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
In stupid All Star related news, Liam Ridgewell, who sat out of Portland's last game due to injury, will be suspended from their next game because he's sitting out of the All Star Game.

• Locked thread