Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Could go with a slot/trench drain at the top of the driveway to divert some of the water from the road away.

https://www.trenchdrainsystems.com/residential/driveway-drain.html

^^^This is the solution.

Edit: drat page break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Potato Salad posted:

Electrolysis.

Remove the water and sell the waste hydrogen afterward :c00lbutt:

Edit: You can electrolytically separate a 10cm high, 1m wide surge of water traveling 1m/s down the hill with 1.6 GW of electrical power if you can get it pretty darn pure before processing. Maybe it would be more efficient to boil the water away at a few meager megawatts of power.

Divert the water into a spillway and use that to run a hydroelectric turbine. You'll be part way there to the 1.6GW!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Could go with a slot/trench drain at the top of the driveway to divert some of the water from the road away.

https://www.trenchdrainsystems.com/residential/driveway-drain.html

I was thinking that, if diverting water before it hits the driveway with a hump isn't an option. A trench draining into buried schedule 40 would be perfect, you could take it all the way to the edge of the property, as swampland isn't exactly ideal.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Free range mosquito farm.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Walkways & landscaping are in.

Along the driveway are 14 cleavland pears, which don't fruit but look amazing in spring & fall. When they get to full size, they should come just short of touching, should give a really nice look. In the front are 4 fruiting apple and 2 fruiting pear. At some point we will plant some shrubs & stuff between the trees to make it look nice.

In the fall, we're splitting and stealing hostas from both of our parents for along the outside of the front walkway. Not sure what's going in the mulched beds yet.

Before the front walk, visitors who haven't been here tended to walk through the garage to the door. After it was put in, everyone is using it to the front door which is real nice.

For the water problem, a drain got put in next to the driveway at the bottom and it handled 2" of rain in an hour just fine shortly after being put in. We re-graded the top to divert half the street water away, but haven't had a storm since doing that to see how it worked.

I guess this is the end of the project, hope you enjoyed following along.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Woohoo! Totally enjoyed it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
looks great!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Great thread.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

V good thread, would thread again.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Gounads posted:

I guess this is the end of the project, hope you enjoyed following along.

Indeed. What a great thread and house!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Nice house.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Your house ended up really nice, thanks for the thread! :buddy:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm still catching up on the thread, but my wife and I are basically in the same situation you were at the start, minus a couple steps. How did you go about finding and buying the land you built your house on? If you haven't yet, can you go into some detail about that?(If you have, please link me to the post, as I haven't gotten that far yet) The threads been a really good read so far, and it's been extremely enlightening to see what we've failed to account for and consider so far.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Don't know what kind of mulch that is but unless insects are unheard of in your region I'd keep a close eye on it and make sure it doesn't retain much moisture.

Both houses I've lived in with mulch that close to the foundation had termite / insect problems. Now I use other decorative landscaping (anything but mulch) around my house.
They wont be able to eat through your new foundation but they'll throw a party in typical hardware store mulch and find a way in if a crack ever develops, eat your porch or try to get in under the siding.

Vulcan fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 17, 2017

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Vulcan posted:

Don't know what kind of mulch that is but unless insects are unheard of in your region I'd keep a close eye on it and make sure it doesn't retain much moisture.

Both houses I've lived in with mulch that close to the foundation had termite / insect problems. Now I use other decorative landscaping (anything but mulch) around my house.
They wont be able to eat through your new foundation but they'll throw a party in typical hardware store mulch and find a way in if a crack ever develops, eat your porch or try to get in under the siding.

This is common around here. As long as the mulch isn't up to the sill you're fine.

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm still catching up on the thread, but my wife and I are basically in the same situation you were at the start, minus a couple steps. How did you go about finding and buying the land you built your house on? If you haven't yet, can you go into some detail about that?(If you have, please link me to the post, as I haven't gotten that far yet) The threads been a really good read so far, and it's been extremely enlightening to see what we've failed to account for and consider so far.

Not going to be much help there. My father-in-law couldn't sell the plot, so he sold it to us cheap. Between grading, driveway, etc, we probably spent $50k extra because of the geography. It's no wonder he had trouble selling it.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Your grass is coming along well. My dad moved into a new build last October and the grass still looks really bad, though it is finally starting to come along.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Michael Corleone posted:

Your grass is coming along well. My dad moved into a new build last October and the grass still looks really bad, though it is finally starting to come along.

The month after planting we had a good soaking rain in the evenings 4 or 5 times a week and bright sunny days. Couldn't have asked for better weather. I had a beautiful full lawn until the landscapers tore it up running the excavator over it for the walkway & trees. New grass is starting to come up in the bare spots now. The trick for new grass is lots of water. On dry hot days I water twice a day. I also over-seeded after the initial grass was up and cut for the first time (that's probably overkill).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gounads posted:

I also over-seeded after the initial grass was up and cut for the first time (that's probably overkill).

Nah, that's a great plan to choke out any weeds early on.

Make sure you're mowing it high. Most people mow entirely too low and that's a major reason their grass is mostly weeds.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I enjoyed your thread, house looks great! Hoping that the water problem is solved. Thanks for all the updates!

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I loved reading this thread! Thank you for taking the time to document all of this. The wife and I are working on splitting a piece of property right now, and then it will be on to beginning this whole process. Right now we are waiting for the survey company to do their work, 2-3 weeks, and then we can submit everything to the township and county for their approval which they told us could take 6 weeks. So we are looking at 9 weeks just to find out if the property split is approved. We designed and built our own house 10 years ago, as in grab a hammer and a box of nails babe, and can't wait to do it again. I love your shower will be getting some inspiration from some of your choices.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Modus Man posted:

I loved reading this thread! Thank you for taking the time to document all of this. The wife and I are working on splitting a piece of property right now, and then it will be on to beginning this whole process. Right now we are waiting for the survey company to do their work, 2-3 weeks, and then we can submit everything to the township and county for their approval which they told us could take 6 weeks. So we are looking at 9 weeks just to find out if the property split is approved. We designed and built our own house 10 years ago, as in grab a hammer and a box of nails babe, and can't wait to do it again. I love your shower will be getting some inspiration from some of your choices.

Start a thread.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

How about building an extension on this thread to increase its resale value in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Great thread, would follow someone else building a house again.

• Locked thread