Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
My wife found one she likes better.

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/90118pd

I kind of like it better too.

One thing that sells it for me... there is a weird second door to the master closet. Clearly that should be a bookcase door.

I'm finding it hard to locate a local architect willing to do the review, modifications, and stamp the plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Gounads posted:

One thing that sells it for me... there is a weird second door to the master closet. Clearly that should be a bookcase door.

I'm finding it hard to locate a local architect willing to do the review, modifications, and stamp the plans.

I like that one too, though I like in the last plans how the living/family room were connected by a door.

This plan you could easily have the bonus room on the back side wall have a door with stairs going up to it for a separate entrance for your wife's studio.

Personally, I like more open plans with less defined rooms, but I would occupy the hell out of any of those house plans.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
This one kind of has a separate entrance. The bonus room has it's own stairs up and you'd use that left side door. I think that'd be better than exterior stairs, especially in the winter. We throw up some business related art in that hallway and it's all good. The real goal of the external entrance is so clients aren't walking through the living areas.

I'm pretty sure the family/living room are open to each other in this one. We'd try to do a more modern version of this:

That makes it pretty open without just having huge rooms.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Gounads posted:

This one kind of has a separate entrance. The bonus room has it's own stairs up and you'd use that left side door. I think that'd be better than exterior stairs, especially in the winter. We throw up some business related art in that hallway and it's all good. The real goal of the external entrance is so clients aren't walking through the living areas.

I'm pretty sure the family/living room are open to each other in this one. We'd try to do a more modern version of this:

Yea looking at that again, it does look like a separate entrance that's perfectly suited to that.

I found this one that has more or less all your big wants except for a wrap around porch, but it does have a covered porch out back. But it has a 1st floor master and large bonus room over the garage. Also has a finished basement plan with walkout basement.

http://www.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=chp-25559

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Yeah, that one looks great! One problem I've been finding a lot is the depth listed in the details (that one says 32') and the depth when you look at the actual house don't match. I'm pretty sure that one is over 35' since the garage alone is 34 and the house sticks out past that. It' hard to tell, but I think the basement says 38.

I have no idea how much of a stickler the town would be when submitting plans, but would rather not chance it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
That's a good point, I was just relying on the site to not lie, haha. I like the second one you posted with its pseudo separate entrance but that bonus door into the master closet is definitely odd

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Gounads posted:

I have no idea how much of a stickler the town would be when submitting plans, but would rather not chance it.

Might be a good reason to pay an Architect...

Gounads posted:

I'd be surprised if you found anyone willing to do this that's an architect... if you called me, I wouldn't. It's not worth their time or liability and it's not as simple as you think it to be. You'd be better to seek out a "home designer" or engineer because no architect with self-respect would do that.

In analogy form... you are in search of your dream pizza. You have a wish list and sought out two reputable licensed pizza makers in town to make your dream pizza. Upon hearing their price you bought a Digiorno with a few of your own toppings and came back to them asking to bake it in their ovens.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

xwing posted:

First time a woodpecker came to my place he went at the aluminum gutters and scared the crap out of me.

90% is a stucco box down here but whenever I design and build my own home I'm going aluminum and cypress. Down here (florida) vinyl has gotten a really bad name with it a lot of ways. The older stuff got beat up in the sun and warped window frames.

I don't understand why every house in Florida's not an insulated white concrete box. My parent's 50's built condo is the coolest, most comfortable thing to live in ever, HVAC wise. This stupid loving mortgage bubble house leaks heat and aircon like a sive, and I wouldn't trust it to survive any kind of storm. The condo's survived 6 hurricanes and the only danger it's ever going to be in is if the condo association votes to disallow pets, then everyone's gonna drown in lawsuits.

editedit: Oh, and block houses. Those are great. Why cant we have more block houses?

\/\/\/Y'r doin gahd's own work, son \/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 31, 2016

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Suspect Bucket posted:

I don't understand why every house in Florida's not an insulated white concrete box. My parent's 50's built condo is the coolest, most comfortable thing to live in ever, HVAC wise. This stupid loving mortgage bubble house leaks heat and aircon like a sive, and I wouldn't trust it to survive any kind of storm. The condo's survived 6 hurricanes and the only danger it's ever going to be in is if the condo association votes to disallow pets, then everyone's gonna drown in lawsuits.

A bit off topic to their house thread... codes and cheapness. 90% are built to the cheapest thing the codes allow unless they think they can sell it for more. For example, at my last job locally ICF (insulated concrete boxes essentially) homes were doing well in the area because they could sell them as "efficient" homes that owners saw as having more value that drastically outset the cost of the extra steel and concrete. Only problem is inexperienced "stucco" workers that messed the synthetic stuff up and it fails fantastically. Pretty soon it'll be hard to make a lovely leaky box because of the codes, but I'm sure the contractors will surprise me. :q:

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Gounads posted:

Those dumb little roof details on the gable ends are going to add like $1,000 to the cost of a reroof, let alone the initial cost to build them in the first place. Working at a roofing company has made me want to slap a lot of architects. That material that is specced to totally definitely last forever in an interior waterway loving isn't going to, stop designing buildings to drain to the middle in the pacific northwest goddammit.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
A guy (concrete contractor) in New England built his entire house out of concrete. Made a detailed care thread about it here:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145073

Was next to a river as well. You can't fight fate, bro.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Jordanis posted:

has made me want to slap a lot of architects.

Feeling is mutual for contractors. Haven't observed a single roof that was done to spec. I usually ask where drawings are on site... Pssh, who needs those? Need to flash that joint, let's throw up an angle for a stucco stop and slather it in caulk!

The Gardenator posted:

A guy (concrete contractor) in New England built his entire house out of concrete. Made a detailed care thread about it here:

Now that's a modern home... not even near the same size/budget. Limestone floors? Concealed hinges on frameless doors? That's some good stuff!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Jordanis posted:

Those dumb little roof details on the gable ends are going to add like $1,000 to the cost of a reroof, let alone the initial cost to build them in the first place. Working at a roofing company has made me want to slap a lot of architects. That material that is specced to totally definitely last forever in an interior waterway loving isn't going to, stop designing buildings to drain to the middle in the pacific northwest goddammit.

Thanks for that. The builders we've talked with have said they can work with us to figure out cost-effective ways of doing things, so I'll bring things like this up with them.

xwing posted:

I'd be surprised if you found anyone willing to do this that's an architect... if you called me, I wouldn't. It's not worth their time or liability and it's not as simple as you think it to be. You'd be better to seek out a "home designer" or engineer because no architect with self-respect would do that.

Gotcha, thanks. Sounds like I didn't know the right profession to seek out.

I asked the guys who I bought the plans from for advice on this front. They said they can do it for $3000-$6000 depending on the plan but suggested we'd probably find someone local cheaper. Since we need a civil engineer for the grading work, maybe we can find an engineering firm to do both.

On that front, I think our plan of action is going to be to take the plans to the builders, and get their advice on who to go for those. I'm sure they've all worked with local guys before.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Gounads posted:

A friend of mine has a more modern version of that in his house, and he told me that's the one thing he would change about the house. While it looks cool, it makes 2 medium sized rooms instead of one awesome room, and he wishes he hadn't done that.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Gounads posted:

You could go super modern by losing the brick and get a freestanding fireplace.

You might also want to look into a masonry heater too. They're more efficient than a regular fireplace.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Jordanis posted:

i loving despise those little gable ends. I'm not sure why. I've never done roof work. I just think they look overly baroque and another point of failure. Maybe an ornate gable end hurt me as a child, I'm not sure.

AFewBricksShy posted:

A friend of mine has a more modern version of that in his house, and he told me that's the one thing he would change about the house. While it looks cool, it makes 2 medium sized rooms instead of one awesome room, and he wishes he hadn't done that.

Personally I prefer lots of small rooms. But, one can always make smaller rooms with partition walls, the reverse is more difficult.

Also larger rooms are more expensive to heat/cool.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

froward posted:

Larger in height, not necessarily floor area if properly designed and executed. If the OP isn't paying an Architect he sure isn't going to pay a Mechanical Engineer to size and design the HVAC... so it's going to be a contractor or him dicking around with his home to get it balanced.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

froward posted:

Personally I prefer lots of small rooms. But, one can always make smaller rooms with partition walls, the reverse is more difficult.

Well, IMO there's the problem with that setup - it's not two small rooms, but it's not a larger room either. The two sides aren't separated enough to be two separate rooms; you'll always be seeing & hearing what's in the other half, but they're too separated to comfortably interact across them.

froward posted:

Heat loss/gain is a function of the size & characteristics of the exterior building envelope. It doesn't matter how you partition the interior, except that it takes a little more effort to counter stratification the more freely air can travel between multiple stories.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zhentar posted:

Heat loss/gain is a function of the size & characteristics of the exterior building envelope. It doesn't matter how you partition the interior, except that it takes a little more effort to counter stratification the more freely air can travel between multiple stories.

Unless we're talking about ye olden days where you had doors everywhere and fireplaces in every room so you could separate functional spaces that didn't need to be heated right now.

This is basically unheard of in modern design and largely antiquated by proper exterior building envelopes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I just wish all these assholes building open-plan houses would take ten seconds to consider the acoustics.

Too many of my friends own McMansions, and even with only 4-5 people in one of their living rooms the whole house seems loud.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

AFewBricksShy posted:

One thing to note is not to place a heater against an outer wall. You want it in the center of the house. We have active ventilation that circulates the air in our house so the masonry heaters warmth is carried around the house. We can use it to supplement the house warmth with an extra degree or so in winter. Does make a difference.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Motronic posted:

This is basically unheard of in modern design and largely antiquated by proper exterior building envelopes.

The laws of thermodynamics haven't changed... hot air rises. You have a multi-story home and upstairs will naturally be hotter (stratification). It can be compensated for, but it's still hotter. It has nothing to do with the envelope, it has to do with the loads inside the building.

Liquid Communism posted:

Too many of my friends own McMansions, and even with only 4-5 people in one of their living rooms the whole house seems loud.

Is it cheaper? If no, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

People now want bigger and don't give two shits about that if they can't have their 4th office room and 2nd grand-nieces play room.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

xwing posted:

The laws of thermodynamics haven't changed... hot air rises. You have a multi-story home and upstairs will naturally be hotter (stratification). It can be compensated for, but it's still hotter. It has nothing to do with the envelope, it has to do with the loads inside the building.

Nothing to do with the envelope? Then you haven't been in an 1800s house that isn't really any hotter upstairs during the heating season because all the hot air leaks int the attic and right on outside.

I'd say that has a lot to do with the envelope.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Motronic posted:

Nothing to do with the envelope? Then you haven't been in an 1800s house that isn't really any hotter upstairs during the heating season because all the hot air leaks int the attic and right on outside.

I'd say that has a lot to do with the envelope.

You're conflating two different things. I'm well aware that's how older homes work... they actually used that to help snow melt. You're right that modern houses have mitigated the external causes of heat loss/gain of that very well, but stratification still exists and why a single zone system for a multi-story home wouldn't be ideal under any circumstances.

This is academic anyway... the contractor is going give him whatever passes inspection and is cheapest for him to install. He'll end up dicking with the balance and dealing with whatever insulation is installed because "it's what the contractor bid". He doesn't have a professional designing his home.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
poo poo, the even '70s home I grew up in was always cold upstairs in winter until a neighbor told us about the wonders of attic insulation.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

xwing posted:

This is academic anyway... the contractor is going give him whatever passes inspection and is cheapest for him to install. He'll end up dicking with the balance and dealing with whatever insulation is installed because "it's what the contractor bid". He doesn't have a professional designing his home.

I know you have a bias here, but this is giving a lot of credit to architects and not a lot to the builder/contractor. A good contractor is going to want to do a good job on your house. Are there some out there that don't care and are out for the money? Of course, but the same can then be said for the architects/design side of things as well.

Sometimes code is just simply good enough for a lot of people when factoring cost. For instance we purchased a 'spec' house, insulation done to state requirements. Small ranch house, heating bills totaled maybe $300-400 a year. House was always comfortable. Would more insulation, sealing, etc been better? Of course, but the returns diminish quite quickly.

Personally I trust on both sides, good design can help a lot and prevent issues, but it's also good to rely on the installers/sub-contractors who do this professionally as well. (On a slight side note, I'd rather go with a product slightly worse that the sub was more comfortable with and knew the issues/kinks than something they weren't -- also cheaper and keeps your subs happy with you).

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

MrEnigma posted:

I know you have a bias here, but this is giving a lot of credit to architects and not a lot to the builder/contractor. A good contractor is going to want to do a good job on your house. Are there some out there that don't care and are out for the money? Of course, but the same can then be said for the architects/design side of things as well.

Sometimes code is just simply good enough for a lot of people when factoring cost. For instance we purchased a 'spec' house, insulation done to state requirements. Small ranch house, heating bills totaled maybe $300-400 a year. House was always comfortable. Would more insulation, sealing, etc been better? Of course, but the returns diminish quite quickly.

Personally I trust on both sides, good design can help a lot and prevent issues, but it's also good to rely on the installers/sub-contractors who do this professionally as well. (On a slight side note, I'd rather go with a product slightly worse that the sub was more comfortable with and knew the issues/kinks than something they weren't -- also cheaper and keeps your subs happy with you).

There are of course various grades of contractors and designers. But any building is the culmination of number of factors: the site, builder, designer, budget... When you buy a set of plans out of a book and cut out the designers you're running a lot of risks.

The drawings are a set of contracts between the owner and contractor... and the municipality as well when code review occurs. So say the contractor comes back and wants to build a different wall assembly than the "plan book" drawings have. The owner says, okay that sounds good. Their new assembly has issues because they built a wall that worked somewhere else but was ill-suited for this instance (it could even have been something built down the street!). The owner could be boned. The contractor could have totally built it right, but say something like he's near that creek and the hydrostatic pressure is too high for the assembly and the basement leaks. Even if the courts swallow that the change was agreed upon (though not drawn) the contractor isn't under a standard of care to know that it wasn't suited for there and could have no liability.

So I will admit this has been a bit like banging my head against a wall, I say it because I fully believe it's in everyone's best interest to use professionals. Same as for contractors. You think $30K is too much? I bet you can find some unlicensed "contractor" out there who will say they can save you $30K on the home by doing "X" and I'd have the same stance that it's probably a bad idea.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Grw up in a 70s era home too, it wasn't cold during winter, but uncomfortably hot during summers. At least on the 2nd floor.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Gounads posted:

I do not think anyone mentioned it, but it would be safer to store the bulk of the firewood away from your main house. Are you required to have fire sprinklers in your home? You can expect average of $10,000 more for that to be installed, but if it saves your life it is worth it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The Gardenator posted:

I do not think anyone mentioned it, but it would be safer to store the bulk of the firewood away from your main house. Are you required to have fire sprinklers in your home? You can expect average of $10,000 more for that to be installed, but if it saves your life it is worth it.

This is a phenomenal suggestion, please do this. It's smart to think ahead for this kind of stuff before the walls go up. Same thing with over compensating electric infrastructure (even though overall electrical demand per home has gone down in recent years) and run plenty of multimedia/cat5e lines (wireless sucks for reliability/speed and the spectrum is always getting more crowded).

Also look into smart home stuff, like Samsung Smart Things or Nest thermostat/protect. A lot of that stuff is really starting to mature and can be extraordinarily useful. I can only imagine what you could do integrating some of the ideas from the ground up instead of ad hoc installation.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

and run plenty of multimedia/cat5e lines (wireless sucks for reliability/speed and the spectrum is always getting more crowded).

Instead of running specific cables (or in addition to, rather), install conduit so you don't have to rip the walls open to replace your cables with whatever the new hotness is.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The Gardenator posted:

A separate woodsheed is a good idea. I have a pile of wood that's been cut into 1m/3ft lengths and split, then stacked and covered. From what I cut shorter pieces and stack in a small shed for one winters use. I bring in 3 or so crates of wood at a time to let it dry out indoors, as the wood stored outside will always retain moisture near the surface, a few days to a week indoors fixes that. But it's noticeably shittier to start a fire with wood that's just been brought in. And it shits up the chimney more, which depending on use should be swept bi-yearly or yearly.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

The Gardenator posted:

Are you required to have fire sprinklers in your home? You can expect average of $10,000 more for that to be installed, but if it saves your life it is worth it.

I would presume that Gounads is going to be on well water, so the cost would likely be closer to double that. But I agree that it's still well worth considering.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I built the woodshed at my current house and would probably build one for the new one eventually. I've never had a problem burning wood stored in it right away, but I'd imagine I'd bring in a bunch at a time since there's a nice big garage to stack it in and it sucks going to the shed every night. Our first year or two's wood can easily be harvested from the lot.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Instead of running specific cables (or in addition to, rather), install conduit so you don't have to rip the walls open to replace your cables with whatever the new hotness is.

Def conduit. We'll have to figure out where a good central location to run it.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Also look into smart home stuff, like Samsung Smart Things or Nest thermostat/protect. A lot of that stuff is really starting to mature and can be extraordinarily useful. I can only imagine what you could do integrating some of the ideas from the ground up instead of ad hoc installation.

Wife and I have talked a bit about it. We (she) don't see a huge need for a big prewired home automation system. Feel free to convince us otherwise, but it seems like a shiny new toy that's going to get obsolete in a couple years. Some home audio would be nice, but we use those sonos speakers now and they're great.

Got the plans sent to me. They were for some duplex. Another week for the new ones, then I can start bidding process.

xwing posted:

So I will admit this has been a bit like banging my head against a wall, I say it because I fully believe it's in everyone's best interest to use professionals.

I get it. Nobody is saying custom plans wouldn't lead to a better house. For us, it's all about finding an acceptable risk profile and weighing that against the cost. In this case, there is another element that goes into the equation. We need to be building by 7/27 and buying a set of plans cuts out a a month or two from the process. We're accepting some design risk to lower our start-date risk. Potential savings is a bonus. If that wasn't a factor at all, we would have gone with our first architect, it was a really hard decision for us.

edit: City Water - YAY

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, I would stay the gently caress away from any "smart home" or "Internet of Things" devices. Everything I've read about them indicates the developers give precisely zero shits about security, and you're just leaving yourself open to abuse / loss of privacy by installing them. You may think "okay, but how important is that really?", but if an attacker can just figure out when you're not in the house, then they can burglarize you.

There may be a time when it makes sense to install smart appliances/lights/etc., but that time is not yet here. The risk profile vastly exceeds the benefits.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Gounads posted:

edit: City Water - YAY

City water sucks, wells are awesome (except for fire sprinkler systems). Now, sewage on the other hand...

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I have a well now. Every year, a toxic plume of mtbe from a leaky gas station in the 80's claims more wells in town. On the other side of town a landfill has been seeping dioxane into the groundwater and slowly spreading. Luckily neither seems to be headed this direction, but I'd be happy to not have that worry.

e: oh yeah - and all the wells in town have naturally occurring arsenic.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
You only think that's a problem because the MTBE hasn't yet oxygenated your brain enough to understand the benefits!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Zhentar posted:

You only think that's a problem because the MTBE hasn't yet oxygenated your brain enough to understand the benefits!

Don't be afraid, embrace it! MBTE = Minimal Time Between Ecstasies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Zhentar posted:

New thread title right here

• Locked thread