Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Zhentar posted:

If you're planning on finishing the basement some day, then that's an extra argument for insulating the basement. Now is pretty much your only shot to put rigid insulation on the exterior of the foundation wall and under the slab, and doing so basically eliminates any concerns about moisture from condensation on the concrete. Combined with the good moisture management described in the estimate, it would pretty much mean you could forget about the "basement" part of finishing your basement and just finish it however you wanted, without worrying about water/mold at all.

This is huge I think. Hes right that this is the only real time you can do it, and man, even if you aren't ever planning on finishing the basement I still think its worth it. More comfort, less worry and vastly more flexibility in the future. If there is a single thing I could magically change about my house, this would probably be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Gounads posted:

They didn't insulate the ceiling of the basement. Is that normal? Seems like it should have been done to me.

Assuming the basement is conditioned space, then yeah.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Ill toss in another recommendation for Ubiquity. I replaced my old Apple Airport Extreme with 2 Ubiquiti Unify AP AC Lites, and I have been super happy with them. They are small and inconspicuous, looks like sleeker smoke detectors basically. The LED can be easily turned off. They mount onto the ceiling super easy and since they use PoE and thus do not need line voltage it allows for ideal placement. I've been running mine for like 8 months or so now and its been completely and totally bulletproof throughout my entire 3400 sqf house.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Jeoh posted:

Ubiquiti is also cool if you're planning to be outside a lot, their outdoors APs are tremendous. Troy Hunt (of Have I Been Pwned fame) did a good write-up: https://www.troyhunt.com/ubiquiti-all-the-things-how-i-finally-fixed-my-dodgy-wifi/

This is a cool write up, but you should know that the setup he did there is way more intense (and expensive) than you likely need. Meaning, don't get put off by his reported cost or the more complex looking stuff. Unify setup in my house dead simple I spent a total of like $250.

• Locked thread