Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

H110Hawk posted:

You can key literally every lock you have the same. They make re-keyable padlocks, cylinders are replaceable on cabinets, etc. It's as magical as you are dreaming.

As a contractor they just buy them all keyed a like... this is nothing for 5 doors. Even if they were idiots and didn't order them that way someone who knows what they're doing it shouldn't take more than an hour to pull all the locks and rekey them.

I have Medeco locks on my door because I want them to have to break the door to get in and so no one can copy the keys... but I'm a rarity. I've never seen them on another residential house outside of my family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

H110Hawk posted:

For contracting: Yes. It's easy for them to just say all hardware keyed alike. But as you add locks to your house (build a shed?) it's easy to keep that keying going.

You're crazy to spend money on Medeco (or any patented keyway) in my book. :v: I had a coworker who had them on his house, biggest pain in the neck when his kid would lose one.

Still a pretty easy to fix. My family charged $8 per cylinder if you brought the locks in to the shop and it was just a plain Kwikset/Schlage.

It is overkill for a Medeco... but I like my stuff and intend to keep it. :)

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

knox_harrington posted:

Looks like a great idea to me.

Yeah... it is. Try getting someone to pay for it though. It's a very narrow market for who would have that done. It's not hard to get an efficient home. I once worked with a contractor that did "net zero" homes and they did it because state subsidizes for solar panels and they cut out every engineer they could from the job. If they didn't have the tax credits they wouldn't do it because no one would buy it at the profit they wanted.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Gounads posted:

After picking out the flooring yesterday, we just weren't super happy. Ended up going to a different floor place last night. Found a beautiful 4" wide hand scraped oak that we like a lot more. They're doing up a quote, but I'm guesstimating an extra $4800 or so since it was about $2/sft more. Hard decisions.

A similar product at the first place, we were told it would cost $12k more. I think they just didn't want to do it.

Second place is also doing a quote for the exact same product we picked from the first place.

Hint for others: These flooring places are often the second layer. If you find a product you like you may be able to find a friendly rep for that company who will tell you who bought their stock to "wholesale". Some won't do it to protect the installers that buy direct, and their pricing, but others won't care as they've been paid already. The ones that will talk to you will be able to tell you everyone locally who has the product to price compare.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Gounads posted:

Awesome. I'll try exactly that. We did go to one other place yesterday. The closest thing they had was a hickory for like $10

No problem. I thought you'd decided, but it totally may be worth spending some time to shoot an email or call the regional sales rep of a flooring you like. I occasionally run into this where we specify a flooring and in between us calling out for it and the contractor purchasing it, "Floors and More" type places clear out the manufacturer's stock. A friendly rep will tell us who did it and that allows us to still get what we wanted. For a homeowner or contractor it can open up options to price compare. If the rep is smart it creates good will and their flooring will end up in other places because you'll recommend them and/or return to them.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Gounads posted:

The day we've all been waiting for...

I kind of wish I didn't know what it was because the casing just screams to me "door!" If I didn't know I wonder if I'd perceive it.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by
Composite decking also has a low ignition point...

I was in the habit of putting my chimney starter on the ground so I didn't have to juggle the grates on my grill. My last place was a concrete pad. I'm chilling just waiting for the coals to heat up and notice the deck is burning. Now I have a nice black circle on my deck. :haw: I'll fix it at some point.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

PleasusChrist posted:

Does code require that the railing be on that wall? I wonder if you could just flip it to the other wall. That would at least help with how it ties into the landing area.

If his state is IBC based it likely can be only on one side.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Motronic posted:

I'm like, one or two code versions out of date on actually needing to know this poo poo professionally, but I believe it's still fine to not have them on a fridge outlet if it can be considered a "machine outlet" or whatever the term is.
Basically if it's just used for that appliance, and it's not generally positioned to be usable for other things, like if it's behind the fridge. Same deal used to go for washing machine outlets even in laundry rooms with a sink.

"Dedicated Outlet" is the correct term I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Gounads posted:

Been a busy 5 days.

The pre-move walkthrough:
https://vimeo.com/222347557

Your finish carpenter appears to have done a good job. The switch placements make my heart ache a bit though... like at 0:45 with the cover looking to be cut. There doesn't seem to be a consistency to their placement.

• Locked thread