Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What the heck, that's a lot of paperwork hassle. Our architect does all the talking to the city on our behalf.

The building rate here tends to be $4000-5000 for every 6x6 feet (everything is calculated in tatami mats and hectares :japan:). Don't let your budget get out of control- a 9x9 room is completely adequate for kids/office, fancier roofs cost more, and tbh insulation is more important than giant windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Definitely good for an adventure! Our forever house is going to have real doors and ceiling fans :swoon:

Edit: Sorry for the derail. I guess I could start a thread about our house, but our situation applies to so few goons.

peanut fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 24, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We also designed from scratch, and our architect let me choose everything from the catalogs (siding, flooring, bath, etc.) And there's a wild variation in prices. A box window was twice the price of a regular horizontal slider- that's $1000 saved. Nice flooring downstairs, cheaper flooring in the bedrooms - another $2000 saved. Toilet tank-top sink instead of separate sink - save $400.
We're not experienced with diy house stuff but we'll do the driveway ourselves.

Tax is determined by the footprint of the house here, so the same amount of space as a single-story building will be taxed more than a two-story building.

Our budget is much less than yours, but if you're just regular people with regular jobs, I think it's better to match the house to your budget, not raise the budget to match the house.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Rural-suburban Japan: In my area, land is more like $50/square foot. Less convenient neighborhoods are far less. A typical 2000sqf home lot is about $100,000, but most Americans expect more yard than that. New houses hover around 1300sqf.

Also I'm from Mountain View, California where poo poo is bananas rn.

I'll make my own thread sometime today.

peanut fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 25, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yall can argue siding options in my new chat thread :blush:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Edit: And a basement too? I forgot basements exist. You might be happier without one.

Edit2: Excellent stuff. Go for it.

peanut fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 29, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Plant some trees in front of it?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Your builder is moving fast :) It's happening!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I saw a weird "easement" and thought of you, op :blush:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Goongrats op that is excellent progress!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Are these kinds of committees common in the US or is it just your town?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pray 4 Gounads

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I had imagined your property to be a bare, grassy hill... all the inspections make a little more sense now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Coffee is always good.
You could pass out beers to take home, I guess.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

poo poo dude wtc. Things can only... get better???

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kawaii. I hope your basement is well sealed!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You have to fit at least three people in each bedroom so you get your money's worth. Maybe convert the hallways into canals.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Personally, I get irrationality frustrated at anyone else existing in the kitchen while I'm working.

What are your long-term expectations for that little corner in the upper left with the windows?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Whatheck dude :( Sounds like their button-pusher is taking an extended vacation.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What are the siding/exterior options for new houses in your area? (Under a normal budget)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Never don't post

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol just lol if you don't have an IC lock. It's so great when my hands are full of bags and babby.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We had so much fun climbing on our tank when we were kids. The internet can't agree if you should paint it camouflage or like a hot dog.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like that smooth grey with white below...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We used a fancy gorgeous flooring for our entryway and living room that guests will see, and cheaper average flooring for the upstairs bedrooms. The stairs are a different material/maker.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Gounads posted:

half/half:
Normal blah flooring: $4.60
Awesomesauce flooring: $6.99

But what is the price difference for the full amount? For us, saving $500 on flooring put us $500 closer to awesome built-in shelving.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Confirm we have composite decking and it's so comfortable and we had picnics on it all winter... we're going to need an outdoor mat and sunshade in summer​.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ewww I can kind of imagine how ugly our rooms would be if my husband chose all the colors (hint: he got the fake stone wallpaper for his mancave)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

embrace the zig zag

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our builder just put the handrail on the inside of the curve, with a vertical pole right in the center. It's so easy to use.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's in a very natural position, and easy to slide your hand up/down as you go around the tight corner. I tip-toe up/down the stairs in the dark carrying babby at least once a day. My feet have more trouble than my hands do... but My Big Fat American parents still said our stairs were narrow and steep.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hmmmm I'll have to get another baby gate

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's to confuse ghosts so they can't get upstairs

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Just in time for summmmmmmerrrrr!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have a 24-hour ventilation rule. Some rooms with larger windows have little vents and drip ports in the frame, but our bath and toilets also have fans. They're usually switched off, but "Keep the fan on" signs are common for bathrooms without windows.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

All our light switches have green indicator lights to help find them at night (no green indicator when it's on). The fans switches are off when off and red when on.

Green is nicer at night, like fireflies.

Top - Light On
Middle - Light Off
Bottom - Fan On

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cool, that's probably very helpful for people with switched outlets for floor lamps (gently caress you every rental unit I ever lived in!)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Free range mosquito farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

How about building an extension on this thread to increase its resale value in the future?

• Locked thread