Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

No, you're absolutely right, that probably is reasonable and I have no idea what I'm talking about. Houses are stupid cheap where I live in the Midwest, so it seems excessive to me by comparison. I think that's also a good point about being an 80's design, I think newer plans get rid of the dining room altogether and rearrange room layouts to emphasize stuff like a larger eat in kitchen with little separation between living area, right? Is there anything else in the design that seems dated or points to the 80's? My parents house was built in the 80's and has a lot of similar stuff, eg big bonus room above the garage, similar master, dining room adjacent to the kitchen, kinda similar sizing and proportions. Otherwise, I think everything else like the exterior and useable space hasn't really changed all that much?

The complete lack of separation in newer houses sucks balls, and formal dining rooms are awesome. Bonus rooms are never going away, because what else are you going to do with that space?

I'd lose the sunken family room, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Gounads posted:

Yeah, probably will. Also might talk with another realtor.

She gave us a things-to-know bout selling your house booklet thing. Like 3 pages of it were dedicated to talking about how great it was to list slightly below market value so you get more people interested and how it can magically lead to higher eventual sales. Typical "I want to sell house fast and get my commission" stuff.

This is so timing and market dependent, though.

In my town anything listed below market value will have multiple offers at market value within a few hours, but price yourself even slightly high and nobody will even look. It's weird.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

No that's a dressing room, that's a walk-in wardrobe, that's a ferret enclosure, that's an office.

Just erase the closets from the blueprints. Then it's not a bedroom!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Gounads posted:

Builder called up suggesting we go with a wider porch, so we're doing that. It was only 4'

Loan check cleared, and now I'm actually current with the builder.

All interior walls are now framed.

Getting shingled Tuesday.

I'm away next week, so hopefully no major decisions need making.

We re-arranged layout of upstairs bathroom. Plans had the tub against the window, which is stupid if you want a shower.

The left door leads to the master bedroom?

I'm trying to picture this against the video walkthrough, which was neat, btw.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Gounads posted:

In terms of paint colors... In order to maintain marital relations, they're great. Amazing. The best colors.

Knowing which battles are worth fighting is key to a successful marriage.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Gounads, you and your wife have great tastes. I've liked everything I've seen so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

150 for that mount is a terrible waste of money and you can find similar for about 30-35.

I watched their mounting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmyz478Li6Q

I bought a cheap mount from monoprice when I mounted my TV and it worked fine, but that level of adjustment is certainly tempting. Especially the ability to easily level the mount after bolting it to the wall.

• Locked thread