Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have only 1 requirement for any house we build or renovate: secret door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hand-drafting is a dead art, I'm always impressed when people can do it well still. I work with a semi-retired electrical engineer who still hand-draws. I don't think it's a red flag or anything, just means he's really old school. All that matters is that he's come up with a good design. Please do a good architecture. Also be loud and proud about that secret door, that's a good feature. It's not a hard feature, just replace the door to a room with a swinging shelf, easy.

My friend had a "cabin" (full sized house) on a hilly lot way out in the country. It looked smaller than it was because a bunch of areas had secret doors, whole bedrooms. Also since it was built to host large groups, there were wall panels in various areas that could slide open to reveal sort of capsule-hotel little sleeping areas, it was super cool. So what looked like a little 2 bedroom cabin could transform into a 3 bedroom with 4 extra sleeping compartments.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

$150 a square foot, is that right?? It costs almost $1000 sqft to buy where I live right now. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that houses or ownership can be something for anyone who isn't mega-wealthy (or mega-in-debt). You're out in the middle of nowhere somewhere rural right?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zhentar posted:

$150/sqft is kind of expensive. In a lot of the country, middle of nowhere somewhere rural can be under $100/sqft.

So you could build a big ol' 2,000 ft house for about 300k ? But how much is the land? Another 300-400k ?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just say no to fake shutters.

• Locked thread