Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
He has another job that may get confirmed that may be higher margin for him, but hasn't confirmed it, so he's slow-playing you to see what happens with the other job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Gounads posted:

Trying to compare the bids line by line is impossible. First, they're grouped very differently. But even when I combine things to get comparable lines, one has electric and plumbing -50% but then framing +50%, foundations are nowhere near each other. It's just all over the place. I don't understand how line-items can be so far apart but the total so similar.

Also, last bid didn't include A/C, so there's another big chunk. Overall, It's definitely higher.

So we're at a point where the builder with the best referral, most complete bid, who's been the easiest and most professional to talk with, and who we've seen a house he's built and loved is also the cheapest. The only point where he wasn't *the best* is in time to build, and that was neglible - 4-5 months vs. 4 months. Not rocket science on who we're picking here.

Do I negotiate and how hard? (p.s. I suck at that)

All the decent negotiating articles I found on google were really aimed at tract houses and had silly advice like "try to get 3% off if you're not using a real estate agent".

Well, what are you negotiating for? Are you negotiating to try and feel like you got some money off? Do you think the prices are too high? Are you negotiating for certain finishes?

Negotiating for the sake of saying you negotiated can often be a waste of time on both ends.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Did you happen to check into the difference between poured and post-insulated versus insulated form? I've always wondered how much more expensive it is here in Massachusetts; we've toyed with building and I was curious.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

I've always wanted to ask this question about Australian wiring: are those breakers all wired in or do they clip into a bus bar in the load center? For the longest time I've assumed those are just DIN rail mount breakers, but that would mean that everything is wired onsite inside which I would have thought would go away to reduce install costs.

• Locked thread