Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Is this going to be your forever home? You may want to look for something that has a suite on the 1st floor, could be used as a office for your wife in the meantime w/ some sort of exterior entrance (you could have the builder frame for a patio door but install an exterior door for a entryway, for instance).

I love looking at house plans, I'd love to build someday but I think that ship has sailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is good, IMO. I've always been curious about this process, and while I'll want to see photos of the site as the house gets built, it's important to cover the bits that aren't so photogenic as well.

:agreed:

I'm pretty lame, but I am really curious about the whole process. My knowledge of homebuilding is limited to "I bet it's pretty expensive". Just learning about architect costs has been illuminating.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Gounads posted:

My wife found one she likes better.

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/90118pd

I kind of like it better too.

One thing that sells it for me... there is a weird second door to the master closet. Clearly that should be a bookcase door.

I'm finding it hard to locate a local architect willing to do the review, modifications, and stamp the plans.

I like that one too, though I like in the last plans how the living/family room were connected by a door.

This plan you could easily have the bonus room on the back side wall have a door with stairs going up to it for a separate entrance for your wife's studio.

Personally, I like more open plans with less defined rooms, but I would occupy the hell out of any of those house plans.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Gounads posted:

This one kind of has a separate entrance. The bonus room has it's own stairs up and you'd use that left side door. I think that'd be better than exterior stairs, especially in the winter. We throw up some business related art in that hallway and it's all good. The real goal of the external entrance is so clients aren't walking through the living areas.

I'm pretty sure the family/living room are open to each other in this one. We'd try to do a more modern version of this:

That makes it pretty open without just having huge rooms.

Yea looking at that again, it does look like a separate entrance that's perfectly suited to that.

I found this one that has more or less all your big wants except for a wrap around porch, but it does have a covered porch out back. But it has a 1st floor master and large bonus room over the garage. Also has a finished basement plan with walkout basement.

http://www.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=chp-25559

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
That's a good point, I was just relying on the site to not lie, haha. I like the second one you posted with its pseudo separate entrance but that bonus door into the master closet is definitely odd

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Do never build

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Speaking of pain in the rear end, trees are nice, but keep in mind how much maintenance you're willing to put up with. We have a billion friggin trees in our yard and fall cleanup is a whore.

Not saying cut them down, just hope your yard/build site is far enough away from super established trees so that your cleanup is minimal. Minimally, keep them away from the house so you don't have to worry about your gutters being filled constantly.

My beautiful hell

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Gounads posted:

We didn't. With some of the price-increases we've had, we're trying to keep other pieces on-budget, so we didn't consider it. We've been giving a lot of thought to the amount of space 3 people will have in this house, and there's a decent chance we'll never finish the basement.

We'll have a french drain around the perimeter and a foundation drain that both drain to daylight. (amusing fact... it drains towards the rude neighbor that showed up at the planning meetings)

We had a good rain storm over the weekend. Even with water being channeled to the hole from every direction, there wasn't any puddles. I'm hoping that's a good sign that the ground naturally drains well.

Are you having a sump pump installed as well just in case? Friends of ours have a nice home with french drains all around and when we had our severe rain that flooded our basement (no french drain that I can think of), they got 4" of water in their basement, it was all ground water and came up through the drains since it was raining so hard (6" of rain in 4 hours).

Might be a bit of an edge case, and I guess if you plan for not finishing your basement it might not be that big of a deal, but could be some peace of mind to have. Not sure how "standard" sump pump installs are on new construction these days.

Come to think of it, having the foundation excavated out is almost the best possible scenario because there is no soil against your foundation. So I wouldn't let this be too much of an example of how things may go in the future.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I looked it up, and "drain to daylight" is basically just where your french drain runs to. My friend has that since their lot is on a hill and they still got water. As far as I know their drain to daylight was not clogged. Anyway, just something to think about.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Really cool man, I bet you guys are really excited.

I'm not sure I could handle the process of building, I would be so excited and then ruthlessly crushed over and over again with delays.

One of my friends is having an addition built on his house and even though the builders have done great work and mostly stayed on schedule, I don't know if I'd have the patience.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Because he wants to be as far away from everyone as possible, and surely nobody will ever want to develop the adjacent plot in the same way, right?

Haha yea I'd probably be pretty pissed if I were him, but then again he should have bought the lot. Though, probably like me any 99% of everyone else, we didn't have many tens of thousands of dollars to throw down on more land just to do nothing with it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Gounads posted:

Kitchen layout

Looks real good! You are not helping my weekend of "we need a bigger house". I'll field these questions for you:

Nitrox posted:

I would delete those windows and turn entire area into a huge pantry closet. Looks like an afterthought right now.

Those are doorways. The one across from the pantry is to go to the basement, the one to the left is to go into the dining area(?).

OSU_Matthew posted:

What are your plans for the bay window? We've got one in our house and best as I can figure is to build in a bench around it for a table, but that's a really difficult space to furnish in any useful fashion... I don't know how those things became so ubiquitous considering how impractical they are otherwise.

The bay window is actually doors to go out to a deck, I believe.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yea it seems pretty steep, though I'm guessing he probably has to run conduit or something because I don't think you can have "bare" romex run in basements if they're not behind a wall or something.

I would totally run them myself after the fact if you didn't need some sort of minimal power outlets or something in the basement for code.

e:
Also, for your kitchen lighting, you could just get some LED pucks on amazon, a couple z-wave appliance modules and a smartthings hub to have a DIY version that could also be scheduled. Wouldn't look quite as nice (you'd see the appliance modules - unless you hid the outlets, if that's even allowed by code), but it would cost you $150 or less.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 30, 2017

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I enjoy reading your updates, even if I don't post much in here.

Another thought on the flooring, I assume your awesomesauce flooring is the hand scraped oak that you were talking about a few posts up. I know this is 100% subjective, but I'm not the hugest fan of the hand scraped stuff, just kinda trendy I guess. Personally I would rather have a "normal" boring floor that in 10 years isn't going to be like "remember when we used to purposely put bumpy flooring in our house and paid extra for it?"

Also, you could consider no matter what you put in, it's going to get scratched up and ruined almost immediately. I'm not a debbie downer, I'm sure you'll be happy with either choice you make. If the savings are substantial going from cool to less cool, is there something else you could upgrade that might give you more of a bang for your buck or maybe something you could enjoy more for the extra ~$1500 or whatever?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Looks good. Goondolences for your flooring choice, I know you were pumped on that other stuff.

As for the budget stuff, are you playing it safe because you knew you had some big variable costs coming up? I thought you guys were doing pretty well so far budget wise. You don't need to go into details, I was just curious, I guess.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Thanks for the insight. I think I'd be a wreck if I were building a house going off of my money anxiety alone.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Very anecdotal but one of the technology podcasts I listen to seems to recommend the EERO mesh network for the consumer level as another possible option

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Eero sponsors all of those. It's not a recommendation, it's a paid endorsement.

That is true they are a sponsor, but I still trust the source (TWIT) as he's tried most of the mesh networks (Plume, google wifi, etc) and generally very fair with honest reviews.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
It's looking real good. And after they get the certificate of occupancy (presumably the last inspection?) you can maybe do whatever the gently caress you want with that railing.

My sister is also building a house right now and it's really fun to see it all come together.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hard to tell what the rest of the wall is, but chances are you can't get your wallmount tv stand to fit over the wiring hole anyway, you want it offset to the side. No power up on that part of the wall sucks, but would be easy enough to add a remodel box and connect to the lower outlet.

Here is one I did in my basement, you can see that the box would not fit within the wallmount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Very nice house, congrats :)

• Locked thread