Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

~Coxy posted:

I don't know about the US in particular, but I should be surprised if it's very different to here. (AU)
An elevator is retardedly expensive to install and has a continual maintenance/inspection cost.

In the unlikely circumstance of needing one, it would certainly be more economical to move houses.

You can have a 2 floor hydraulic elevator installed for around $20-25k around here. You can reduce that cost if you plan ahead in your build, even if you don't need it installed right now. Most architects will stack a couple of appropriate-sized closets.

Maintenance should be under $300 a year, repairs are likely after a few years and can run up to a couple grand depending on what's gone wrong. Most residential elevators around here are pretty much trouble free because they aren't being used as much as a shared commercial elevator. Inspection around here are on initial install only (as opposed to annual on commercial installs).

Also don't forget about chair/stair lifts. They are much less expensive and can be installed in nearly any reasonable sized stairwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

From what I recall he has pre-approved zoning for a certain footprint and can vary it only up to about 20% before he has to go through the entire process again.

That may not be enough to do it all on one floor, if the lot even makes sense for a much larger footprint.

I remember watching your build thread though. It turned out really, really nice and I can see why you'd be happy with the all on one floor thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zhentar posted:

Heat loss/gain is a function of the size & characteristics of the exterior building envelope. It doesn't matter how you partition the interior, except that it takes a little more effort to counter stratification the more freely air can travel between multiple stories.

Unless we're talking about ye olden days where you had doors everywhere and fireplaces in every room so you could separate functional spaces that didn't need to be heated right now.

This is basically unheard of in modern design and largely antiquated by proper exterior building envelopes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

xwing posted:

The laws of thermodynamics haven't changed... hot air rises. You have a multi-story home and upstairs will naturally be hotter (stratification). It can be compensated for, but it's still hotter. It has nothing to do with the envelope, it has to do with the loads inside the building.

Nothing to do with the envelope? Then you haven't been in an 1800s house that isn't really any hotter upstairs during the heating season because all the hot air leaks int the attic and right on outside.

I'd say that has a lot to do with the envelope.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, especially don't get in with Nest. They're in financial trouble, and if they go under your snazzy wi-fi thermostat will be a brick.

At least a Nest thermostat is still useful when not connected to anything. I put one in my office because it's an easy way to have an occupancy sensor to turn the heat/ac down when nobody is in there. It also does a drat good job of figuring out how long to run my radiant heat without overshooting the temperature.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gounads posted:

Got plans in hand.

One thing on them... they generally call for pre-fab floor joists. Anything to know/worry about them vs. standard dimensional lumber? From what I read they're fine and are used to span longer distances.

They are cheaper, straighter, lighter, easier to work with, more consistently carry the load they are engineered for and available in much longer lengths than the poo poo fast growth pine lumber available these days. They are more susceptible to water damage, but that's hardly a concern as you should not have your joists getting rained on. They are also marginally more likely to fail in a heavy fire situation simply because there is less of them to burn. But we're not talking anywhere near engineered truss with gusset plates kinda bad.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, it's not so much about saving the house as it is about giving you a few extra minutes to get out, and in some cases allowing the fire department to actually go into the house to perform search and rescue. I'm pretty sure I've seen Motronic say that if your house has engineered trusses supporting the roof, the firefighters often aren't allowed to go into the house because it's too easy for the roof to collapse.

This kind of thing is all about deciding where you stand on the spectrum of risk vs. investment. At one extreme, you live in a nonflammable structure with a commercial-grade sprinkler system installed just in case...on the other side, your house is made out of matchsticks, insulated with sawdust, and located in Southern California. Thing is, right now is the best time to be deciding where you stand on that spectrum; you don't want to later decide you want a sprinkler system, only after the plumbing and water storage has been figured out (let alone after the walls have gone up).

Exactly this. It's something I bring up because most people aren't even aware of it. This isn't about saving an on-fire home, it's about occupant safety and it's a risk decision you should be consciously making, not just having it made for you by someone else if your in the position to make it.

FYI, 20+ years in the fire service and 5+ as a Fire Marshal where I not only did investigations but plan approval, permits and inspections.

And in that time I've seen the occurrence of full on house fires drop tremendously. We typically end up with little more than a "room and contents" these days.

The #1 reason for this is central station alarms. Get a good fire alarm/security system that is properly installed (and not just to the code minimum....get things like heat detectors in the attic, etc) and pay for the monitoring. It's the absolute best thing you can do to save your home. It gives us in the FD the head start we need.

The #2 reason is modern building codes and materials. No more balloon construction, where we'd have a first floor or basement on fire, it would appear to skip the second floor and then the attic was ripping (hint: it's in the walls on the second floor also, but hasn't made it through the plaster yet). Much better and safer HVAC systems, better appliances, better wiring - I'm talking in capacity, grounding, quality of insulation/boxes/switches/fixtures, GFCIs, AFCIs and even without those regular breakers are simply much better than they used to be and certainly better than glass fuses. Even bare minimum code, as crappy as that is in many aspects, it light years ahead of even 70s/80s construction.

xwing posted:

It'd be pretty hard to tell and in practice and there's many areas they'd never go inside if that was a hard rule.

It's not a hard and fast rule, and it's also not hard to tell when you have a ripping attic fire and the roof is distorted already. In that situation I don't let me guys go in, period. We don't trade lives. 99.9% of the time we find it was an engineered truss and the gusset plates had warped in the heat and popped off.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 11, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Congrats! Hopefully that's the last of the bureaucracy you have to deal with. Good luck with the build!

Opening permits is certainly not the last bureaucracy you need to deal with by basic definition. But this is great news and very good progress.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Are there more permits that will need to be acquired after this point? Or other things that he has to get approval for? Obviously he's still going to need to get inspections taken care of, but I don't really think of that as being bureaucracy.

I'm not familiar with the process of building a house, mind you. I'm just drawing comparisons to what I went through to build my workshop.

Building, mechanical, electrical, plumbing and potentially fire protection or grading permits could be required depending on jurisdiction. Some wrap all of those into one building permit. Some don't and you'll need to submit sealed plans for each and fight over minutiae.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

peanut posted:

Are these kinds of committees common in the US or is it just your town?

I'll tell you it's a thing near where I am.

If you need your variance to be approved by a local elected (or appointed by elected people) board the rest of the non-elected-or-appointed public are supposed to have time to have a say about it.

If he did not need a variance from the existing code this would not be an issue.

I'm not saying his requests were at all unreasonable or shouldn't have been allowed to begin with in the adopted code, just talking procedure here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

xwing posted:

1 week gets you to 70% of it's full strength. 28 days is what is specified usually for full strength. He has a lot of site work with the grade. It's probably convenient to get site work done while concrete is curing.

28 days is design strength on average. For most mixes that's about 75% and it continues to get stronger for years.

Other mixes can be at 75%+ in a week - or a day.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

xwing posted:

I know... I'm an architect

Then you should also know better than to continue spreading this 28 day thing that every concrete guy cringes when they hear.

Literally the first google result for 28 day concrete: http://precast.org/2013/10/28-day-myth/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Glad to see your contractor knows that Zip board is the poo poo. Good job so far.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

How can a tub not meet code?

Really easily if it's a spa tub. There are electrical requirements for those things for very good reasons.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Holy poo poo man, this is like a real house now.

Happy to see it so close since I've been following from the beginning. It really turned out great (other than that banister, and I'd live with that, but paint it the same color as the wall in semigloss so it wasn't so obvious).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"I can't believe it's a meter base!"

(I also can't believe the coax and cat 5 was put through the siding that shittily......I'm hoping you're going to box and caulk over that and connect the conduit in some weathertight manner)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There is a code-compliant solution to in-wall power now: https://www.amazon.com/PowerBridge-...recessed+outlet

It mounts like a low volt box (i.e., doesn't need to be on a stud) because it's not permanently wired to utility power.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They're still noticeably more expensive than using standard breakers plus a GFCI outlet, though.

But I personally like breakers better than outlets, because there's only one place to go when an outlet stops working, and you don't have to know where the first receptacle is in the circuit to ensure that everything's protected.

I think a lot of that depends on the layout. In my barn/shop? Hell yeah breakers. The panel is right by the door.

In the bathroom or kitchen? Hell no, that means I need to go into the basement to reset them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

Back in the day you avoided putting them on refrigerator circuits so that you didn't spoil your food with a nuisance trip but that might not be current code.

I'm like, one or two code versions out of date on actually needing to know this poo poo professionally, but I believe it's still fine to not have them on a fridge outlet if it can be considered a "machine outlet" or whatever the term is.
Basically if it's just used for that appliance, and it's not generally positioned to be usable for other things, like if it's behind the fridge. Same deal used to go for washing machine outlets even in laundry rooms with a sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gounads posted:

I also over-seeded after the initial grass was up and cut for the first time (that's probably overkill).

Nah, that's a great plan to choke out any weeds early on.

Make sure you're mowing it high. Most people mow entirely too low and that's a major reason their grass is mostly weeds.

• Locked thread