Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

1488 posted:

Why would you build a house when you can live in a yurt?

Yurts are not for everyone. For one thing, they'd take all the good canvas and price all us noble yurtfans out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

xwing posted:

First time a woodpecker came to my place he went at the aluminum gutters and scared the crap out of me.

90% is a stucco box down here but whenever I design and build my own home I'm going aluminum and cypress. Down here (florida) vinyl has gotten a really bad name with it a lot of ways. The older stuff got beat up in the sun and warped window frames.

I don't understand why every house in Florida's not an insulated white concrete box. My parent's 50's built condo is the coolest, most comfortable thing to live in ever, HVAC wise. This stupid loving mortgage bubble house leaks heat and aircon like a sive, and I wouldn't trust it to survive any kind of storm. The condo's survived 6 hurricanes and the only danger it's ever going to be in is if the condo association votes to disallow pets, then everyone's gonna drown in lawsuits.

editedit: Oh, and block houses. Those are great. Why cant we have more block houses?

\/\/\/Y'r doin gahd's own work, son \/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 31, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I still want to actually actually build my own house someday, like, draw up the plans, do the framing, etc. How else can you know that it's been done properly?

My plan would probably be visit the building site daily, box of doughnuts and coffee in one hand, shotgun in the other.

• Locked thread