Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Keep in mind the possibility that a realtor isn't being lazy, and you might possibly end up contracting your house for more than it appraises for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Gounads posted:

Builder called, footers being poured today.

So.. this brings me around to another problem I haven't really mentioned much. Paying for this drat thing. The bank wouldn't accept the final application for a loan until we had all the permits. Since then, I've been shuffled around to 3 different loan processors over 2 weeks as they have some internal issues. My next payment due to the builder is when the foundation is in, and the floor deck is on. That could be next week. I imagine it's going to take at least a week to close on the loan. gently caress. I've got just enough cash to pay that bill and then I'm broke. It would represent about twice what I was planning on putting in by the end.

Having worked for a GC for a few years, I can promise you that a good GC will continue work if they are reasonably confident that payment delays are temporary and valid. It happens. Explain the situation, offer to pay with your savings so they see you're dealing in good faith, and they will probably continue work until the bank issue clears up, without touching your personal funds.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Just explain to them that you weren't planning on hooking the bedrooms up to the sewer system anyway.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Fourthing the love of washer/dryer music. I miss the LG orchestra at my previous house.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

You say "extras" in quotation marks, what's the story? Change order from you, or electrician didn't read the plans right on his bid?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

What exactly is their argument for charging extra for a detail their bid missed? You never signed off on a line item electrical bid, so they can't possibly put the blame on you. They were given plans, and said they could do all the work on those plans for a set amount. When you gently caress up a bid, you eat the fuckup, not your client.

It's great that you're in a position to absorb the costs, but I'd be making a stink about it, and either the electrical sub or the GC (who is supposed to be keeping subs accountable) would be eating those basement outlets. Especially since you're being reasonable regarding the cabinet lights which were called out on an RFP that I'm assuming he also bid off of.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Gounads posted:

The things I'm eating weren't on the plans.

These are the kind of details that not having an architect caused us to miss. It's a risk we accepted when we chose not to spend that money.

Ahhhh, pardon my tone then (which obviously wasn't intended towards you in the first place). I thought you had said the basement outlets were.

...... and now I think I see my confusion. 'Not paying for the basement' means *you* aren't? I took it to mean *they* weren't paying for it.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 31, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Are you in one of the areas of the country where the whole wall gets a skim coat, not just seams?

No reason for asking really, just curiosity.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Isn't it harder to find studs through plaster?
Through old lathe and chicken wire plaster, absolutely. Through a thin, even coat of plaster over wallboard? Shouldn't be.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

MrEnigma posted:

I bet your painter is stoked about that :D
In fairness, bitching about how the other trades are all assholes making your job harder is like, 90% of a job in the trades anyway.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

Painters are the only ones that are outright suicidal. I delivered for Sherwin-Williams for a year or so back in the day, and the number of times I saw some beardy painter spraying solvent thinned laquer in a closed house while smoking...
Haha, yeah, we had a guy on a job who would go in to do the initial primer spray on each townhome, and he'd walk out completely white, save for a goggle-shaped area around his eyes. No clear area where a respirator or even a dust mask would have been of course though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

No cable when you move in?

Look man, you accomplished a lot here. It was a great thread. But nobody will judge you if you just abandon the place, file bankruptcy, and go find a nice cable-ready apartment.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Gounads posted:

That side is woods for at least 400 feet, no worries.
This type of thinking is why I spend so much time in the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Ferremit posted:

Or you just fit residual current devices into the switchboard and cover every circuit in your home like we do here in AU. Only wire in my house that doesnt have protection is the underground run to the shed, then from that point every single circuit breaker is an RCD breaker and every wall socket and light fitting is protected.
If I'm understanding you through the different terminology, gfi breakers are becoming more common in newer homes here.

• Locked thread