Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

Gounads posted:

No poo poo, huh? The good part is that flat area by the road, we own and there's been about 12 yards of crushed stone dumped that's not on those plans to help regrade a bit. Our current thinking is to build the house up a bit, so gain 4 feet or so there, and then regrade from the street. We figure we can get something like a 8% grade with a bit of work and maybe a bend in the driveway. Legally, it has to be 10% or under for the easement. Any way we do it, there is going to involve some significant earth moving.

I've done a bit of surveying work and, while that survey has everything buttoned down, really make sure you get your grading ideas in front of a civil engineer to make sure that they're feasible. Especially since you have that 20'+ rise to the housing envelope's east and the obvious drainage to the west, you'll want to make sure that grading for both the foundation, as well as general site drainage, doesn't cause a huge, unexpected expense... or a frequently flooding basement.

Depending on your locality, you may also have certain requirements for permeable surfaces and storm water treatment for new construction. This would also need to be worked out by the civil engineers and may not be included in the projected price of commercial house plans. Even if they're not required by your municipal authority, you may want to consider them given your proximity to a brook and a wetland area.

If you already have this in the works, hopefully I'm not coming off as condescending, it's just items of concern that people are often unaware of. (Lovely lot, too, but I bet it was a pain for the surveyors to shoot in :))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

Gounads posted:

My father in law is a retired surveyor and has been telling me very similar things. It's pretty high on the list of potential risks right now. I found out they did do a perc test about a decade ago and drainage was supposedly good, but I can't find the actual results so I'm treating it like a rumor at this point.

So tell me, how do I find a civil engineer? Will my architects office likely employ one? Would a good builder/contractor hire one? Should I just call some engineering firms? Speaking of which, we're meeting with a potential architect this Wednesday afternoon.

From my experience*, you would need to hire the civil engineer and surveyors since you are, in essence, the developer of the property. The boundary and topo survey that you have shows the allowable house envelope for the site which will help you work with the architect, in terms of the house's footprint, regardless of civil engineering work. That said, the grading/drainage/storm water treatment will need to be completed so that the architects and their structural engineer can have the foundation and footings properly designed for the soil and topography of the final lot.

If your father in law did his surveying in your area and retired recently, I'd ask his opinion of the civil/survey firms. Anyone working for these companies will tend to very quickly get a feel for the reputation of the firms in the area. If that's not an option, the architect that you work with may have a firm that they recommend. If you want to get everything taken care of sooner than later, just google "central MA surveying and civil engineering" or search for the Massachusetts state association for licensed surveyors and civil engineers. The google search will get you the businesses so that, if nothing else, you can get some quotes for the work you'll need and the state professional organization can definitely point you to properly licensed and certified firms in addition to giving you much more qualified answers than I can.

*I was an instrument man, draftsman, and deed monkey, so this is based on my view from the bottom in the Northern Virginia/DC Metro area

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

Jealous Cow posted:

What are we looking at there?

You should set up a live stream. I would pay :10bux: to watch.

You're looking down a line of this stuff https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silt_fence

For erosion control and stream protection, you need to have silt fences and, depending on additional state and local requirements, hay/sod/berms. That way, once the lot is taken down to earth and graded, you don't have tons of dirt and clay washing off of the lot until everything is finished and grass or sod is planted again. Choking streams and small waterways with silt is no good.

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013
Ending up that close to the back of the lot is why some locales have set-back restrictions on all property boundaries, not just the right of way. Serves him right, hopefully it won't annoy you like it will him.

Related to an earlier point of discussion, today I was pulling information for a plat that I was drafting for a house built in the 50s and I pulled its sanitary tap card. $6 for sewer hookup in 1952. Even today, that's only $60 or so, inflation adjusted. To be sure, Arlington, VA charges MUCH more than $60, today.

• Locked thread