Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
:toot:

I'm looking forward already to future updates when more visible things will start happening!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Gounads posted:

Freshly excavated ground. This is standing by the road looking down and this is where the temporary driveway is going.

Cement is ordered to be poured Monday, so 2 days to dig a hole and put in the forms.

:toot:

Do you know how long the cement has to rest (and cure, I presume?) after pouring before you can move on?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Gounads posted:

Concrete happily curing.

I don't remember if you posted something about this before, but roughly what length and width are we looking at here? The lens distortion makes it really hard for me to judge dimensions.

I'm glad things started moving otherwise, you must be really thrilled! :3:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Gounads posted:

About 33'x44' - add on another 20' for the garage for a total of around 33x64

I've been doing panoramas because a single shot captures so little with my phone. I think seeing the bigger picture is worth the distortion

It looks narrow because those walls are 9' high.

Thank you, that helps me visualise things immensely! I like the panorama shots otherwise.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

knox_harrington posted:

I can certainly believe that. I just spent a year living for most of the week in a brand new house on a medium size development. The houses there are really not that cheap to buy but the construction was so basic. They just chuck them up as quickly as possible, it was pretty depressing to see. Also none of the internal door mechanisms worked properly. People don't want to think about what goes into a pre-built house and here anyway want the most number of bedrooms for the minimum number of £.

Having been in a draughty 200 year old terrace for the last decade I want to live in a modern place built using current methods but really don't trust a volume builder to do anything but slightly below the bare minimum. So, going to need to build somewhere on this tiny island with no land... Hmm

e: will stop derailing now!

:britain:

Technically, you can make a whole bunch of things into a passive house. A 1968 high-rise, for example. However, I am not sure how practical any of these ideas are with a classically wood-framed house -- the examples I have seen (both multi-storey dwellings and single-family houses) used a fair bit of concrete and modern windows.

More on-topic: I'm really curious to see pictures of that bookshelf wall once it has been fitted. Can you just mount that regularly, or will you need to somehow reinforce the adjacent wall given its weight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Thank you! For some reason, I was thinking this would still need hinges in a regular sense (just perhaps beefier).

• Locked thread