Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

We built our 1474sqft house + 462sqft garage + 0.6 acres of land for quite a bit under 300k euros. The land itself was 11k of said budget. County is selling cheap land to attract people to live here, lots of construction going on here. Row houses and individual homes.

Of course we did not have an architect designed house but chose from a house building companys catalogue and then tweaked it to suit our tastes. I'm skeptical towards fancy architect houses, simpler shapes, esp. for the roofs are more practical, less joins and less potential places to develop problems and it keeps building costs down. I'm also a big believer in rain screen style facades over anything else ever. And wooden paneling, if anyone tries to bring over vinyl to Finland I hope he gets eaten by a bear.
Vinyl lasts longer than wood. With less maintenance to boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Wood panelling can and have lasted over a century.
That would be an exception and not the norm. Wood exterior requires diligent care and maintenance, and once neglected, will deteriorate quickly. Vinyl/aluminum/cement siding is "nail it and forget it" type deal. Even when wood appearance is desired, it's often replicated with cellular pvc or vinyl.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
So your argument is that if everyone were to import 100-year growth Finnish wood, treated by the finest oils, it would perform better than vinyl siding? I think it's cheaper to wrap houses with actual money.

I was going to look up the vinyl industry growth numbers in Finland, but "Finland" in Minnesota is screwing up my search results. Stop stealing other country's names, USA. You also have to consider that wood is very cheap in Finland, while manual Slav labor is incredibly cost efficient. Other countries are not so "lucky". Labor is expensive, so less labor intensive materials are being developed to offset that. You'll be flooded with vinyl siding the moment your installers get paid a decent wage.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 30, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Zhentar posted:

You only think that's a problem because the MTBE hasn't yet oxygenated your brain enough to understand the benefits!

New thread title right here

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

xwing posted:

The #1 issue I see that messes stuff up is improper storage on site that messes you up for moisture issues which is regardless of quality of materials.
This, a thousand times this.

I just installed a bathroom, which is about the size of some kitchens, 13 cabinets. It was delivered and dumped in the unheated garage sometime in October. Every door and panel was warped and twisted, I salvaged most of it, but some doors had to be ordered anew. Luckily it didn't sit there through the summer or the cabinet boxes would probably have been a write off.

Deliver wood flooring, kitchen/bathroom cabinets, interior doors and whatever else I'm forgetting, just as you need them. Kitchen store will understand if your project is delayed and you need to store it for 5 more weeks, home depot will not.

poo poo gets really ugly when GC, distributor and subs start to kick that blame ball back and forth.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

If you have a basement I think different rules apply. I would have liked a basement but they are pretty rare in construction here for some reason, and it would have been too expensive, our house sits almost directly on the bedrock which was exposed in places, so a basement would have meant (more) blasting.
Are you referring to your building experience in Finland or elsewhere?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
He's bidding high because he plans on subbing out pretty everything. Also, to leave room for negotiations. Feel free to cut about 10% from that number.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

Excuses are like assholes, everyone has one and they stink. If I were you I'd take it as a red flag, but it would at least be very useful to have his bid, at least as an extra reference point to use as leverage.

Say you could go back to your first guy and be like so and so only bid x dollars for y job, could you explain what the difference in work/materials might be? Might save you a few bucks down the line...

I wish he had 3 quotes from people like the first guy, instead of this mess.

That said, pricing out a project like that takes some serious effort. Simple omission here and there could mean losing thousands, is not tends of thousands. I'm a really small outfit, kitchen/bathroom/basement type work, and have royally hosed myself on bids before. You have to have a keen eye for bullshit detail, not just a software that assigns values to measurements.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Are you even considering spray foam insulation instead of fiberglass? It's good stuff

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Gounads posted:

Also met with a realtor today to start talking about selling our current house. Gave an estimate about $20k lower than I was hoping for our house. It never ends...
you're still welcome to list it for the amount that you think it's worth. Realtors are very happy to list properties below the market value for faster sale.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I would delete those windows and turn entire area into a huge pantry closet. Looks like an afterthought right now.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've never seen a 2x4 walls outside of mobile homes and sheds. Most trailers I've ripped apart were actually 2x3.

I'm mildly bothered by plywood placement. We always stagger our seams and overlap door/window openings, pretty much what your builders started doing on 2nd floor and above. The pictures from the back show less attention to that detail. It's not an ironclad requirement, but it makes the framed structure just a tad more rigid.

Please pay for spray in insulation, don't use battery. It'll cost you several grand more, but will be worth it in the long run. An inch of spray gives you R value of ~13, depending on the compound. You can have R40 in exterior walls and still have room for wiring and such.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What are the issues with drywall?

• Locked thread