Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

"I can't believe it's a meter base!"

(I also can't believe the coax and cat 5 was put through the siding that shittily......I'm hoping you're going to box and caulk over that and connect the conduit in some weathertight manner)

Speaking of ugly access through a wall, when I had our A/C replaced we couldn't use the old copper (which routed via several turns through the interior wall space and out near the base of the walk-out basement wall) and the only good direct route ended up with a new hole about six, seven feet off the ground, with the insulated refrigerant line and water output from the condensate pump then making an outside run to the compressor. When (not if) we replace the upstairs unit I'm guessing we'll have the same problem. (Unless somehow we can manage to drop from inside the attic down past the first and second floors, into the basement wall, and then manage to curve outward to get through a fieldstone wall. I'm not holding my breath.) What's an attractive way to cover up that poo poo?

edit: Guess it makes more sense to upload some pictures.
edit 2: I really need to level the new A/C unit, it annoys me every time I look at it.

This is the new A/C unit and aforementioned ugly routing:

This is the rear of the house for context:

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Gounads posted:

Overall, $17k over isn't too bad. We've heard much worse horror stories and I feel like we haven't skimped out on anything major.
In the long run, $17k is a non-issue provided you're happy with what you got. It would be easy to buy a house after a full inspection and then have to put that much into it due to hidden issues. Our "gets a little damp sometimes with heavy rain" basement probably cost us that much after it started, you know, filling with water. A co-worker of mine had a similar issue where a stream behind the house they bought completely flooded everything and it ultimately was determined that "some ice issues with the rear of the property" should have been enough forewarning somehow.

Worst home-building horror-story I've heard was one of my wife's old co-workers. They built a house, and after moving in the foundation basically started tilting and sliding down a hill. The house was declared unsafe for habitation (surprise), insurance didn't cover the loss because it was a construction defect, and the foundation contractor had declared bankruptcy and disappeared.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Budgie posted:

I'd invest in a doorstop.

Yeah, why not have the door open outward or to the other side? Otherwise it needs a hard doorstop in a place where one is always barefoot and asking to step on it (I don't know if I'd trust one of those little spring guys given how frequently they seem to just sorta fall off their mount), or wishful thinking that someone never slams open the door into the glass shower door (or have it blown by wind, etc.).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

I've seen those damage doors and hinges, depending on the construction. Really, a lot of choice depend on whether the OP has kids, i.e., "mobile point sources of chaos and housing woe."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

H110Hawk posted:

Better the door than the glass. Kids gonna break poo poo. Put one on every hinge, spread the force! :science:

I'm reminded of a story my dad told me -- when he was about twelve or thirteen, he broke a window playing baseball in the back yard. He rushed down into town, bought a new pane of glass, and fixed the window before my grandfather got home.

Three days later, my grandfather offhandedly said, "By the way, you didn't completely repaint that trim on the window you broke," and left it at that.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Gounads posted:

Looking over the list from last week...

Finish Plumbing
Final Electrical (+ meter) - I think we're just waiting for inspections + meter now
Yard clearing / grass seeding
Water heaters
Finish Guard rail
Finish Heating / AC - This might be done, more work was completed.
Propane Tank
Shower - All tiled, needs door
Backsplash
Finish coat on stairs
Exterior window crown details
Decorative windows/vents/something at two front peaks
Driveway Paving
Inspections
Garage door openers
Porch skirt
Sheathing over bulkhead trimmed off
Under the bulkhead has settled and needs to be filled
Trim tar paper under deck
Broken basement window
2x Door knobs (these are ordered)
Broken front hall light
Microwave outlet
Closet shelving

Ticked off a bunch of big things there.

That's a beautiful tub. Renovating our non-master upstairs bath is on The List, but sadly it's just not big enough for a tub like that (and who knows if the floor would support the damned thing).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I'm super happy for you -- I've been following this thread off and on since the beginning, since I would have loved to build my own house but simply would have gone crazy in the process.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
There really should be a culvert where the driveway meets the road, or at least a hump where it meets the road so the water stayed on the road instead of spilling down the driveway. Tough grade for that, though, could bottom out a lower car. That's definitely a lot of water to redurect, though, and you definitely need to get it away from the foubdation. Any aerial drawings to give us and better idea of the layout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Could go with a slot/trench drain at the top of the driveway to divert some of the water from the road away.

https://www.trenchdrainsystems.com/residential/driveway-drain.html

I was thinking that, if diverting water before it hits the driveway with a hump isn't an option. A trench draining into buried schedule 40 would be perfect, you could take it all the way to the edge of the property, as swampland isn't exactly ideal.

• Locked thread