Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Zhentar posted:

And/or design in a location where you could retrofit an elevator (and in general, consider accessibility). Not too long after I moved into my house I realized that it is pretty unfriendly to people with mobility issues; if I should develop one I will likely have to move.

I don't know about the US in particular, but I should be surprised if it's very different to here. (AU)
An elevator is retardedly expensive to install and has a continual maintenance/inspection cost.

In the unlikely circumstance of needing one, it would certainly be more economical to move houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Motronic posted:

You can have a 2 floor hydraulic elevator installed for around $20-25k around here. You can reduce that cost if you plan ahead in your build, even if you don't need it installed right now. Most architects will stack a couple of appropriate-sized closets.

Maintenance should be under $300 a year, repairs are likely after a few years and can run up to a couple grand depending on what's gone wrong. Most residential elevators around here are pretty much trouble free because they aren't being used as much as a shared commercial elevator. Inspection around here are on initial install only (as opposed to annual on commercial installs).

Also don't forget about chair/stair lifts. They are much less expensive and can be installed in nearly any reasonable sized stairwell.

Haha wow, yeah that is an order of magnitude cheaper. Carry on then OP!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

A friend of mine has a more modern version of that in his house, and he told me that's the one thing he would change about the house. While it looks cool, it makes 2 medium sized rooms instead of one awesome room, and he wishes he hadn't done that.

My first house had an awesome huge centre room and aside from parties it was a pain in the butt. You can't really do anything with it except to put a pool table in it and then you've blocked thoroughfare (and have a great space for collecting junk besides.)

We moved out before we had any kids but I can just imagine it would be even worse with toys everywhere.

• Locked thread