Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Zhentar posted:

And/or design in a location where you could retrofit an elevator (and in general, consider accessibility). Not too long after I moved into my house I realized that it is pretty unfriendly to people with mobility issues; if I should develop one I will likely have to move.

Yeah, big concern for me when looking to build eventually as well, I have lovely knees now, in another 20-30 years having to go up a flight of stairs to get from the kitchen to the pisser may be a no-go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I just wish all these assholes building open-plan houses would take ten seconds to consider the acoustics.

Too many of my friends own McMansions, and even with only 4-5 people in one of their living rooms the whole house seems loud.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh yeah, I would stay the gently caress away from any "smart home" or "Internet of Things" devices. Everything I've read about them indicates the developers give precisely zero shits about security, and you're just leaving yourself open to abuse / loss of privacy by installing them. You may think "okay, but how important is that really?", but if an attacker can just figure out when you're not in the house, then they can burglarize you.

There may be a time when it makes sense to install smart appliances/lights/etc., but that time is not yet here. The risk profile vastly exceeds the benefits.

Yeah, especially don't get in with Nest. They're in financial trouble, and if they go under your snazzy wi-fi thermostat will be a brick.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Awesome! Hope they get the hole in before it turns winter on you!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, that's a really pretty bit of woods. Are you keeping most of it?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Man, and I thought killing Creeping Charlie was a pain in the rear end.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That's going to be a really nice lot. Amazing how quick some dedicated earth movers can completely change the face of a parcel, isn't it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

xwing posted:

This... I understand not wanting the neighbors to see the angle of your dangle or how much werewolf blood you have in you, but a window with a 4' sill means you can smile and wave at your perv neighbors without giving them a show.

It also means that unless you are loving meticulous with maintenance, you've got a perfect spot for water intrusion into that wall down the road, when you could instead have just tiled all the areas readily splashable.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I really like your woodwork choices, especially the moulding, even if I'm not a huge fan of painting it. Reminds me of the 1920's era Craftsman I lived in for a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Slugworth posted:

In fairness, bitching about how the other trades are all assholes making your job harder is like, 90% of a job in the trades anyway.

Painters are the only ones that are outright suicidal. I delivered for Sherwin-Williams for a year or so back in the day, and the number of times I saw some beardy painter spraying solvent thinned laquer in a closed house while smoking...

• Locked thread