Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Make sure your drainage and foundation are over engineered. I had an old neighbor who's house perpetually flooded, you don't want sump pumps running all day.

Place your windows smartly and don't cheap out on them, but stout, insulated walls would be better, windows have nothing on walls for eco friendly cost savings unless they are few and placed for your lot orientation and climate.

Tint some heavy and some not, idk how this will work with painting and natural light.

Thick cellulose in the attic is awesome and you could blow it in yourself.

When I build I will be re reading tauton build like a pro series and especially the one on insulation. I am also a fan of thick wall construction with thicker walls that are built to eliminate "heat bridging"
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/klingenberg-wall

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/design/articles/six-proven-ways-to-build-energy-smart-walls.aspx

This may be a tease because I don't know that anyone here knows how to build like this.

This may be too expensive, but you may need very little heating or cooling over the life of the house.

I will follow your thread.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I just wanted to comment on earlier about adding timeframe constraints on the contract, yeah you want it on time and bonuses for early completion can be cool, but do you really want them rushing any aspect of a the build? Integrity aside, a nice juicy early completion bonus could put pressure on the low level grunt workers when the main contractors back is turned.
Taping exterior sheeting gaps with tyvek tape or caulking can help with your air leakage, hardly anyone would like to do that for you though probably.
Make sure they use sill seal foam on top of your foundation and try and get them to seal that gap best they can. That's an often neglected step.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Yeah it's flammable and too expensive, we had good results using it around windows and doors though.

Cellulose, properly installed bats, and maybe rock wool is where it's at, supposedly, unless you are into strange like me and ideas like hempcrete or underground homes.

I linked on like the first page an expensive way to build the walls for max R value, it's cost is only worth it over long periods, but energy bills would be miniscule.

• Locked thread