Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

~Coxy posted:

I don't know about the US in particular, but I should be surprised if it's very different to here. (AU)
An elevator is retardedly expensive to install and has a continual maintenance/inspection cost.

In the unlikely circumstance of needing one, it would certainly be more economical to move houses.

The only numbers I've found have been $15-$25k for the elevator itself, before considering major structural or electrical work, which is going to be really situational. I do wonder what the maintenance costs end up looking like, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Gounads posted:

My wife found one she likes better.

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/90118pd

I kind of like it better too.

One thing that sells it for me... there is a weird second door to the master closet. Clearly that should be a bookcase door.

I'm finding it hard to locate a local architect willing to do the review, modifications, and stamp the plans.

Those dumb little roof details on the gable ends are going to add like $1,000 to the cost of a reroof, let alone the initial cost to build them in the first place. Working at a roofing company has made me want to slap a lot of architects. That material that is specced to totally definitely last forever in an interior waterway loving isn't going to, stop designing buildings to drain to the middle in the pacific northwest goddammit.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Hell, even if they don't do that, the warranty can be full of pitfalls. Just try proving that something is the fault of bad work fifteen years ago, and not the horrible winter storm two years ago whose effects aren't covered, or the specific maintenance item you have no proof you actually did, or or or...

I mean, if fifteen years is his standard, then sure, take it--just don't be surprised if it doesn't help you out much ten years from now. Upsold extended warranties are exactly as valuable to the consumer as the ones at Best Buy, though.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Gounads posted:

Kitchen layout

Pretty good work triangle. I wonder if the stove and sink might be too close together for someone to work at each at the same time, though.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Gounads posted:

Stopped by today.

Insulation guys were sitting in their truck reeking of weed. sigh. At least they're not smoking in the house.

Bright side: insulation should be done today and looks well done.

At some point the plasterers staged all their drywall and plaster in the rooms, so it looks like they're ready to go. Sheets were much larger than the normal 4x8 - maybe 4x10 or 4x12?

Builder is on vacation this week.

4x12 definitely exists. Good choice if you've got the crew/equipment to handle it. Seams are annoying even for pros.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Gounads posted:

Bank payment came through, yay!

WEIRD thing... it was for $240k when I asked for $102k. Can't wait to find out what they thought was done.

edit: From bank: There seems to be a clerical error, that is in the processor of being reversed- $132,000.00 and some change is the disbursement amount.

Someone I know is in the middle of something ~$50k sized with a bank, and every time I update my mother on the latest bumblefuckery, she doesn't believe me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

I'm glad I wasn't imagining the person in the closet.

• Locked thread