Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Motronic posted:

For those who don't know, these originally came with leather belts that were held together by "clipper lacing" (metal staples and a center pin) or just plain old fabric/thread lacing:
Fun fact: They used to make the lacing for that out of cat gut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
The lathe should do fine. If the bed has any serious issues, you can start studying up on hand scraping, or hire someone with a big enough surface grinder. Backlash in the screws isn't a big deal if you know how to deal with it, or add a DRO. My biggest concern is what condition the half-nuts are in, which will directly impact your ability to do good threading, and if you have the necessary change gears for the threads you want to cut.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I'm surprised you didn't remove the spindle before unbolting the headstock. I would say inspecting the bearings for scoring or any other nastiness should be high on the list before you put a whole lot of effort into anything else.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I'm at a loss for words on this one.

If you want to soak it, why not build a little box with 2x8's and line it with a tarp or something? When I did mine I just had it sitting on 2x4's in the driveway, cleaned it, and hosed it down.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
If doesn't weigh hundreds of pounds, it ain't poo poo.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Looks nice. Did you have to mix paints to get that color, or did you find one out of the can like that? Got a shot of how the ways turned out?

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Sheet metal will get you more surface area and work alot better. If you don't mind spending a small amount of cash, check out ebay for HP lab power supplies that are both voltage and current limited. They are built like brick poo poo houses.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
On my lathe I did 1 part, the back gear cover, with electrolysis. I used a very crude electrode, a lovely piece of 1/4" plate that I wire wheeled with the angle grinder, and an ordinary battery charger. The results worked surprisingly well. The rest I ended up just using naval jelly and citristip on however mostly because I just wasn't in the mood to gently caress with the electrolysis. That's my way of saying that if you wish to take the time to make a good setup (the graphite is the way to go from what I've heard.) I know it will produce you good results.

Edit: I had a local powder coating guy blast the headstock, the door, and a few other parts for me. He did a beautiful job and was very inexpensive, and he avoided all the machined surfaces I told him to. He had his own lathe so he knew what he was doing. If I was doing it over again, I would have had him do more of cleanup work for me.

AbsentMindedWelder fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 21, 2016

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Did this involve any scotchbrite or is it straight into and out of the electrolysis bath and rinsed off?

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Looking nice! I'm jealous of the guys don't have to deal with cutting and glueing flat belts.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
We are long overdue on a progress update...

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Don't feel bad, you will still have your South Bend running before mine. (probably)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I can almost smell the cutting oil in the air and imagine the chips falling off.

• Locked thread