Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Dirty Beluga posted:

an old computer power supply works fine for electrolysis. 12V at whatever amps cleaned most of the lathe bed in a day. Steel electrical conduit / computer case panels are great electrodes too, if a magnet sticks to it you're good.

PC Power supplies aren't designed to be shorted, which is what this is effectively doing. It might work for a while, but certainly not like an actual current-limited supply. Dumbass battery chargers work really well, they're just big transformers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
You can hack the T-nut with a saw, it doesn't need to be perfect.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Still here... Envious of your time.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I've got a present for your lathe. Send me your address via PM/IRC.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Be careful with reverse, you can spin the chuck right off.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
That's a mistake you hopefully only make once. Just like turning on a drill press with the chuck key in it... I've never done it, but I've seen the damage that occurs when someone does. My shop teacher whipped the key out into the grassy field behind the school and the kid who hosed up had to show up to class, and once attendance was taken, go into the field and look for it. It took him about a week... and then he was allowed back into the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Parts Kit posted:

Are you going to put a beefier motor on it?

There's no need. This is a light lathe, and you don't want a ton of power.

• Locked thread