Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Wow, we got some pretty great character submissions this time around. I'm going to refrain from using -1s for the moment (but I reserve the right to edit them into this post later :v:).

To be clear, though: we get a total of 4 +1 votes, that we can allocate in any fashion, right? So like +4 to a single PC or +1 to 4 different PCs, etc? Nope it's +4/+3/+2/+1, see below.

+4 to John, +3 to Blue, +2 to Ni'aurrl, +1 to Arcturus.

(I'm guessing the sprites aren't their final choices, since several characters have generic-human sprites and Ni'aurrl doesn't have a nephil sprite)

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
+1 to John
+2 Sass
+3"Tom"
+4 Ni'aurrl

I'm not going to use my -1's because this is all for fun.

Edited for the +1 to +4 thing.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 11, 2016

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

berryjon posted:

However, I am disappointed. I don't see votes for characters. :colbert:

Oh very well, if you insist, I'll stop lurking for a bit.

+4 Sk'rrrrrrl, +3 John, +2 Blue, +1 Delilah

I'll refrain from using my -1's unless voting gets tense.

Bob Locke fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 11, 2016

Calamitous_Justice
Feb 21, 2011
+1 to N'iaaurl, +2 to Matthias, +3 to Delilah, and +4 to Blue.

Calamitous_Justice fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 11, 2016

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016

berryjon posted:

Welcome to SA, lowtax appreciates your donation to his money bin, I'm sure. ;)

And thanks for joining us. I'm glad my ability to retain copies of old games has inspired some people.

However, I am disappointed. I don't see votes for characters. :colbert:

Whoops, sorry! I had actually drafted up an early version of my character, had seen that you had already closed submissions after I hit "preview", so I just posted my redacted version before reading any of them. I've read now.

I assume we get to choose someone to get +4, +3, +2, and +1 like the last thread, right? Then I give:

+4 to Matthias
+3 to Delilah
+2 to Sass
+1 to Drej

But I ALMOST gave the +1 to John instead. I just thought at the last minute that he wouldn't be very interesting in the party.

EDIT: Doing the -1 now.
-1 to Blue and Bendan

LuffyVeggies fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 11, 2016

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
+4 Bendan
+3 Delilah
+2 Matthias
+1 John

So, it's odd that berryjon wasn't able to spec my character the way I wrote out. I went into the game and created a character exactly like that. It seems the pre-made characters the creation screen defaults to have more skill points than a character you create regularly. Significantly more.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
People. voting goes like this: You have a +1 vote, a +2 vote, a +3 vote and a +4 vote. Plus 2 -1 votes to attach to characters you don't want to see.

like so:

+1 Blue

+2 Sasserithrasix

+3 Mattias

+4 Drej (I know he's mine, but I have a specific theme in mind here)

To create a combination that I like to call "Old Man's War."

NewMars fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 11, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

To be clear, though: we get a total of 4 +1 votes, that we can allocate in any fashion, right? So like +4 to a single PC or +1 to 4 different PCs, etc?

Krumbsthumbs posted:

+1 to John, "Tom", Ni'aurrl and Sass

Bob Locke posted:

+1 John, +1 Blue, +2 Sk'rrrrrrl

Calamitous_Justice posted:

+1 to N'iaaurl, Matthias, Delilah, and Blue.

Just like last time, it's +4/+3/+2/+1/(-1/-1). Please clarify your voting!

Montegoraon posted:

So, it's odd that berryjon wasn't able to spec my character the way I wrote out. I went into the game and created a character exactly like that. It seems the pre-made characters the creation screen defaults to have more skill points than a character you create regularly. Significantly more.

Yep. Pre-built characters have more starting Skill Points to make up for sub-optimal point distribution. I did as best I could with 60 Skill Points.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 11, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
This was pretty darn hard.

Sasserithrasix +4

Tum'rrah "Tom" +3

Matthias +2

Delilah +1

Also actually using my -1's now so they don't tempt me later!

Nista -1
Sk'rrrrrl -1

Mr VacBob
Aug 27, 2003
Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea
When I played this as a tiny child, I think I tried to put one of each D&D class in the party, but now I can't remember if Rogue is useful in this game at all. Anyway, this feels a little balanced.

+1 Delilah
+2 John
+3 Ni'arrul
+4 Dalmek

FreakyM
May 7, 2013
Well then, time to cast my votes. In the spirit of sportsmanship, I refrain from voting my own submission and using the -1's.

My +4 goes to Matthias. Chronic disease is nasty stuff, but I feel it'll make for a good story.

Next, the +3 goes to Sasserithrax - I too feel he's going to clash with Art and thus provide plenty of fun.

Moving on, +2 to Delilah. I feel we MUST have a dedicated Priest, after all.

Finally, a +1 to Sk'rrrrrrl. I just like the idea of a non-exile in the party.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

+4 Skrr'rrl
+3 Blue
+2 Matthias
+1 John
-1 Niurri
-1 Delilah

berryjon posted:

Yep. Pre-built characters have more starting Skill Points to make up for sub-optimal point distribution. I did as best I could with 60 Skill Points.
You can actually get around this by NOT deleting the pre-built and just draining all their skill points and re-distributing immediately in the party creation menu, then changing the name and character sprite. That said, it's mostly just a boost to the start of the game (basically giving you a free 2-3 levels' worth of skill points) and the default difficulty of the game isn't really hard enough for it to be necessary.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
And of course now that we're midway through voting I think of how I could've refined my character concept, or at least the explanation of it. :doh:

Ah well, bit late for that now.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I think the party dynamic would be pretty interesting with this group, at least character-wise:
+4 Ni'aurrl
+3 Bendan
+2 "Blue" Blodwyn
+1 Loc'ess

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

Just like last time, it's +4/+3/+2/+1/(-1/-1). Please clarify your voting!

So noted, and done! Last time was ages ago, so I hope you forgive me for forgetting!

BTW, in case it wasn't clear from John's description, I had in mind that he could act as a sort of "political officer" to help keep Art in line (from the perspective of her nominal superiors). Who knows what orders he's received while he was being evaluated?

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Oh, before I forget, there were a couple of things I wanted to mention involving stats. First of all, the new wight limit mechanic doesn't make you take penalties if you carry more than that - you just can't carry more than that PERIOD. The limit does go up with a character's strength to about 320-350 at 20 STR, I believe, so it shouldn't be too much a of a problem lategame unless you gave someone Bad Back (which we did, of course).

Secondly, and I learned this the hard way, Poison doesn't work very well. When it does work, it's extremely useful (especially against enemy mages), but the problem is that it's most useful when used with ranged weapons... and the way the game is coded, it automatically poisons just your melee weapon UNLESS you don't have one equipped, which is quite upsetting.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm going to think about this a bit, but apart from one or two submissions I thought that this was a very compelling group of misbegotten rogues. One thing that I would like to see in this final LP of the trilogy is a more magic-focused party. The Exile 1 LP had a balanced group (one mage, one priest(ess), one switch-hitter in Peregrine) and Exile 2 tilted more melee/support heavy with just one legitimate priest(ess, again) and one mage. This being the last instalment, I would kind of like to see how the game plays out with a caster-heavy party. By that, I mean at least four party members with significant casting abilities.

I'm also fairly keen on the idea of Art, due to age, being less combat focused and more the leader. She always was, but not as much on the front lines this time with more of an emphasis on heals, buffs, and support. Since she is being rebuilt from level 1 again, I think that this could easily be reflected in how her attributes improve as she levels.

I have noticed, though, that having a bit of priestly magic in this game can be useful, but in terms of "arcane" casting you either need to commit fully or not bother.

rodomontade
Oct 10, 2013
John +4
"Blue" Blodwyn +3
Tum'rrah +2
Mazian Drej +1

We're gonna have a grumpy team.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

I have noticed, though, that having a bit of priestly magic in this game can be useful, but in terms of "arcane" casting you either need to commit fully or not bother.

The spell list is largely the same in Exile 3 as it was in Exile 2. But yes, that means that most L1-L3 spells are still not worth all that much outside of the early game. That doesn't mean that you can't make use of a dual-caster, though. They'd probably top out at L4 spells for the most part (which is where you get stuff like Slow Group and Curse All) and spend the rest of their time slinging Fireballs, helping out with healing, and topping off buffs on the frontliners.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
In the Exile games, I'd just have both/all3 of my casters get both Mage and Priest to level 7 as their priority skill point spendning. Though, it's possible this reduced the impact of their spells and reserves of SP (due to few spare points to put in Int and SP) and I didn't notice because I didn't have anyone to compare them against.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Tylana posted:

In the Exile games, I'd just have both/all3 of my casters get both Mage and Priest to level 7 as their priority skill point spendning. Though, it's possible this reduced the impact of their spells and reserves of SP (due to few spare points to put in Int and SP) and I didn't notice because I didn't have anyone to compare them against.

This is how I played too. It's very nice to never have to worry because your Priest got dumbfounded or your main Mage is running dry on SP.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
It's really quite astonishing just how large Valorim is. Good thing that Exile 3's conception of a day is quite generous :v: There'll be a lot of walking into trees and mountain's in Art's near future.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Wonder how long until Avernum 3 (Mark II) comes out.

+4 Nista, +3 Delilah, +2 Blue +1 Bendan.

-1 Drej and Skrrrrl.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

Wonder how long until Avernum 3 (Mark II) comes out.

I'm pretty sure that Jeff is working on Avadon 3 right now, and Avernum 3 will be the next project after that. Then presumably he'll start remaking the early Geneforge games and starting either Avadon 4 or some new series.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm pretty sure that Jeff is working on Avadon 3 right now, and Avernum 3 will be the next project after that. Then presumably he'll start remaking the early Geneforge games and starting either Avadon 4 or some new series.
Yeah, I just wonder how long that actually is. I wasn't keeping up with the dates of the previous remakes, so I'm not sure how long each takes.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Most recent I've heard is that Avadon is stopping at 3, but can't recall if I actually saw a formal source on that.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
How in the heavens did I not notice this LP for so long? At least I found it in time for the voting! Now, down to voting:

Tum'rrah +1: His skills should make him a decent tank if his HP gets a boost, plus it won't be strange if he doesn't talk much out of fights.

Neril +2: Hard to say how a character with a history like her would act (or develop), but we need a mage and her skills seem workable.

Bendan +3: Including character who causes a bit of friction within the party isn't a bad idea; more importantly, he isn't made entirely of tissue paper.

Sk'rrrrrrl +4: He's made of tissue, but since nobody seems to have made someone with both lockpick/trap and a solid weapon, this guy is probably the best choice for developing into the "thief" archtype. It's also nice to have a pair of The Ne'er-do-Weels to play off/support each other, as well as justify why people don't like the party. I also honestly don't know if mixing melee with archery is good or bad, and kind of look forward to finding out.

I really wish there were a decent way to convey that this part isn't personal...

Delilah -1: I honestly don't know how viable a priest/thief hybrid would be, but I'm fairly certain turning one person into a great thief instead will prove easier, if not better. More importantly, including her would practically preclude Sk'rrrrrrl from being pushed into the role he should really be taking, since two people with thief skills is simply wasteful, and voting for Sk'rrrrrrl makes far more sense if he gets to be the clear thief candidate.

Nista Shore -1: Half of a person's defining traits shouldn't be their sexuality (especially with the inclusion of being suicida*l); doubly so when the other half is so similar to Ember from the first LP. A real drat shame, since her skills are almost exactly what I would have suggested myself, and would have made for an obvious canidate.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 12, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

How in the heavens did I not notice this LP for so long? At least I found it in time for the voting! Now, down to voting:

Tum'rrah +2: His skills should make him a decent tank if his HP gets a boost, plus it won't be strange if he doesn't talk much out of fights.

Neril +2: Hard to say how a character with a history like her would act (or develop), but we need a mage and her skills seem workable.

Bendan +4: Including character who causes a bit of friction within the party isn't a bad idea; more importantly, he isn't made entirely of tissue paper.

Sk'rrrrrrl +4: He's made of tissue, but since nobody seems to have made someone with both lockpick/trap and a solid weapon, this guy is probably the best choice for developing into the "thief" archtype. It's also nice to have a pair of The Ne'er-do-Weels to play off/support each other, as well as justify why people don't like the party. I also honestly don't know if mixing melee with archery is good or bad, and kind of look forward to finding out.

1, 2, 3, 4, not 2, 2, 4, 4 please!

And without his votes, here are the current standings:
code:
Drej		|        1   4           1 - | 5
Nista		|              -           4 | 3
John		|4 1 3     1     2   1   4   |16*
Delilah		|    1 3 3 3   1 1 2 -     3 |16*
Loc'ess		|                      1     | 1
Tum'rrah	|  3           3         2   | 8
Arcturus	|1                           | 1
Matthias	|      2 4 2 3 2   4 2       |19*
Ni'aurrl	|2 4   1         3   - 4     |13+
Dalmek		|                4           | 4
Sk'rrrrrl	|    4         -   1 4     - | 7
Bendan		|        - 4           3   1 | 7
Sass		|  2     2   2 4   3         |13+
Bronwyn		|3   2 4 -   1       3 2 3 2 |19*
Right now, John, Delilah, Matthias and Bronwyn are all in the party, with Ni'aurrl and Sass fighting it out for the last slot.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 12, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

'Karl' +4
Arctuus +3
Ni'aurrl +2
Delilah +1

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Ni'aurrl +4
Bronwyn +3 (can't wait to see her and Art clash)
Mattias +2
John +1

Nista -1

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Dang it, I was checking for this and totally missed it! Oh well, I got to submit characters for the first two, I guess I shouldn't complain about missing the third.

Reading character bios now, will vote once I've read.

Edit: My votes:

Bendan +4
Matthias +3
Ni'aurrl +2
Sasserithrasix +1

Bronwyn (or is it Blodwyn?) -1
John -1

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 12, 2016

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

berryjon posted:

1, 2, 3, 4, not 2, 2, 4, 4 please!

Noted and fixed

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Sasserithrasix +4
Loc'ess +3
Matthias +2
Ni'aurrl +1

John -1
Blodwyn -1

Everyone being miserable, angry or emotionless all the time seems pretty boring to read about. The team needs at least one or two cheerful people who aren't jerks.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Delilah +4
Ni'aurrl+3
Matthias +2
Sasserithrasix +1

As my vote.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
+4 Ni'aurrl
+3 Sass
+2 John
+1 Matthias

If negatives are allowed, give -1 to Blodwyn and Delilah to get the others into the party :v:

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Everyone being miserable, angry or emotionless all the time seems pretty boring to read about. The team needs at least one or two cheerful people who aren't jerks.

Pretty much exactly why I downvoted the same two characters as you did. I'd rather have a cheerful or sane character in the party as a "straight man" -- which is why I wrote up Chester the way I did in the Exile 2 thread. Didn't have a chance to do the same here since I missed the thread until after character creation deadline, but that's why I'd much rather see Sass in the party than Blodwyn.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

For what it's worth, Character development is a thing, and I will gladly enforce it to tell a good story.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Tax Refund posted:

Didn't have a chance to do the same here since I missed the thread until after character creation deadline, but that's why I'd much rather see Sass in the party than Blodwyn.
My one line note for Sass is 'FRAT PARTY LIZARD who regrets it but still PARTY LIZARD.'

Hence him getting my +4 :v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

10 hours left for people to put in last minute votes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
+4 to Sass the party lizard, +3 to "John" the golem, +2 to Ni'aurri the curious cat, and +1 to Deliah who missed the commandment on stealing. Seems like a reasonable mix to me anyway.

As for down-votes, -1 to Bronwyn/Blodwyn and -1 to Sk'rrrrl (not against the characters per se but doesn't really feel right to have somebody with a background indicating they know what's happening on the surface).

• Locked thread