Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Peachfart posted:

So, I'm a bit confused. Is it just a small faction of Vahnatai that are doing this?

Bon could be killed at leisure (or at least as soon as Art made contact).

There are just oodles of undead vahnatai running around.

Being as naive as anyone else who followed all three of these, I'm going to guess Rentar turned the Olgai into The Baddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Poor Bon-Ihrno.

The talking roaches setting up on Bigail doesn't seem too much of a luck thing. That's where the nest was, it's an island, and even the dumb roaches didn't seem inclined to fly over the sea.

Peachfart posted:

So, I'm a bit confused. Is it just a small faction of Vahnatai that are doing this?

Maybe not that small a faction, seeing as the whole Vahnatai city was emptied, but certainly not the entire species.

berryjon posted:

We've actually lower than the previous valley

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
If we're going with Shaper conspiracies, the Vahnatai could even be the outcome of experimentation or accidents. The Shapers really could've used OSHA.

I love the Vahnatai, they're a pretty compelling spin on the greys.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zagglezig posted:

The talking roaches setting up on Bigail doesn't seem too much of a luck thing. That's where the nest was, it's an island, and even the dumb roaches didn't seem inclined to fly over the sea.

It's more that a subset of roaches happen to be intelligent than that the intelligent ones set up on Bigail.

Regarding Vahnatai factionalism, keep in mind that the Vahnatai automatically assumed "all humans are Crystal Soul-raping monsters" as soon as any human did anything bad. Bon-Ihrno was the only Vahnatai in Exile 2 willing to actually talk to the Exiles at the start of the game. Through massive effort, the Exiles were able to convince the Vahnatai that humans aren't all bad...but nobody in the Empire had such a chance. Ergo all Empire citizens are guilty, and must be eradicated. In other words, I would strongly suspect that Bon-Ihrno is, at best, one of a small handful of Vahnatai willing to consider that what their people are doing is wrong.

The Vahnatai are all about massive, disproportionate response. They're kind of similar to the Empire that way.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Vahnatai are all about massive, disproportionate response. They're kind of similar to the Empire that way.

I'm going to give Rentar-Ihrno a motive rant in the coming update. I'll put words in her mouth to help explain and justify their actions.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 072 – The Keep of Rentar-Ihrno

“Why are we on the other side of the road?”

“To cross to the other side!” :)

“Perhaps it's more to follow the river.”

“A supply point? A path off the beaten track?”

“You know what? I'm tired of attempts at negotiations. We'll just kill them all.”

“Really? Must be the rearguard.”

Food and a healing potion.

“And back on the road.”

“Ominous. Really, really ominous.”

“...”

“We all know there is no more time for words.”

“Oh come on! Let me use my baby to get around some enemies at some point!”

“Attack?”

:sigh: “No other choice.”

“Focus fire! Take down the Basilisks first!”

:catholic: :catholic:
:flame: :science:
:catholic: :black101:
:black101: :black101:

“And that's it. Nothing stands between us and the Keep.”

“We can only hope.”

“Art-Iktah. I know why you are here. But know, that while my people will oppose you, I will await you in the central chamber.”

“Owwie!”

“Art!”

“Come on! The gates are open, we need to get inside!”

“Come on, break down already!”

“...”

“That's a lot of them.”

“It does not matter.”

“Come on!”

“They are endless!”

“No, they aren't.”

:black101:

“That's most of them. The rest are coming in pairs and the like. We can deal with that.”

“I wonder what that room with the lava in it is for.”

“Power?”

“Probably. But it's not what we need to deal with.”

“This is interesting.”

“Pressing the button!”

“Yay! I win again!”

“I suppose that button opened this gate.”

“These must be the vats we need to activate. Please let these be the vats we need to activate.”

“What do you expect to accomplish, Art-Iktah? This is not your path.”

“Is she going to keep doing that thing the whole time?”

“I think that's the lava in the room above us, the channel it takes to flow upwards.”

“I agree. But it's not what we're here for.”

“Is there any way to deal with this safety valve?”

“No, not from here.”

“I know that sound!”

“Oh, isn't this cute.”

So, each of the four vats we have to activate are guarded. Going clockwise around the map, the first are Alien Slimes and Dark Wyrms.

“Yeah, cute. These things were barely a threat months ago.”

“Observation ports? But how do we activate the vat?”

“Button!”

“NOOOOOOOOOOO! The Button has failed me!”

“There is another one on the other side. Perhaps we need to deal with them in order?”

“Yay?”

“Yes! The vat has opened!”

“But the channel is incomplete. We need to activate the other one, I think.”

“I will!”

“One down, three to go.”

“We'll have to go back up to the main floor. There is no way to get to the other vats from here.”

“Right, let's keep going then.”

“I smell cooking!”

“They are attacking? With kitchen implements?”

“None of them would even consider peace now.”

“Not even the children.”

“I guess even this place must have a trash pit.”

“Seriously, I know the language. My translation work should not be this bad.”

“They're not good enough.”

“I do this for you, Art-Iktah. The Empire hurt our tribe and yours. Ours moreso, I know you would agree. This is for both of us.”

“Oh, shut up you xenocidal hypocrite!”

“Wouldn't that be genocide?”

“No, it is the nature of the target. The other.”

“We should start from the one closest to the vat.”

“Yay!”

This quadrant is defended by Nagas and Iffrit. And a couple Ur-Basilisks for taste.

“My button pushing skills are amazing!”

“Well, Rentar-Ihrno? What do you have to say for yourself?”

“Exile has earned a place of safety in my vengeance. You would have had a place of honor, but you made your choice to rest. I respected that, for what you did.”

“Is Rentar-Ihrno trying to ... apologize to you?”

“Perhaps?”

“A place of repose.”

“Repose in more ways than one now.”

“This lock defies me.”

I tried, I really did, but nothing came of it.

“It looks like the next way down is behind that large room there. Now we just have to figure out how to get there.”

“Huh, testing labs.”

“And alchemical ingredients.”

Seriously, at the end, the only potion I ever brewed was the required Greymold back in Exile 1. Don't invest in the skill.

“We can walk through all this.”

“It still hurts!”

“Tight corridors.”

“Just perfect for Rakshasa.”

“I'll lay down Anti-magic, and you can beat them down.”

“Done! Now to push buttons!”

“Looks like we need to start from the first one this time.”

“Don't forget the one between those two!”

As puzzles go, this one is pretty tedious. As a finale, it's quite lacklustre until the last moment.

“Ready on the healing.”

“I wonder if there's anything of use in here?”

“My brain hurts!”

“Random Basilisk.”

“I'll give this one a try.”

“That justifies nothing.”

“Hey, does anyone else smell that?”

“I think the entrance in this corner is hidden.”

“One way or the other, no one will pick up these blades.”

“Because they won't be needed...”
“Or they'll all be dead.”

“I got this.”

“Where is it?”

“There is something important in this room, but I can't figure it out.”

What happens here will be described in the Epilogue.

“Ah, here we are.”

“The plan, or your part in it, was simple. Exile would stay safe in your caves. You had claimed them, but they were not yours. The Empire was on the surface. Our vengeance would be had on them, leaving you safe from our anger. You are our friends.”

“More buttons!”

“Ah, the local defenders. Undead.”

“And that's the last one!”

“Our vengeance would be upon the Empire. They would be scoured from the world for their crimes. And then your people would be able to return to the surface in peace, the smallest measure of what we owe you for the salvation of our Ancestors. And we would stay in the caves, content in our isolation. All would be rewarded by their actions.”

“One last defence?”

“Come on then.”

“Explain yourself to me, Rentar-Ihrno.”

“There can be no more words. All you had to do was leave us be, and you would have been rewarded with all you desired.”

“There's so much in the way!”

“Come on! Push through!”

“Argh! There's so many!”

“AAGGHHH!”

“RENTAR-IHRNO!”

“You fight like a cow!”

“Your words will find no purchase on me.”

“GO GET HIM, RED!”

“I'll be with you in a moment.”

It is possible, in theory, to kill Rentar-Ihrno in combat. In truth, it's not worth the effort.

Erika, on paper, is outclassed here. However, despite having most of her SP drained by the hordes of Eyebeasts, she still has two tricks up her sleeve. The first is that all her spells cost her 0SP, and the other is that she is invincible.

It's also not an easy fight to get everyone through. And at this point, I want everyone through.

I try to cheese the fight in the best traditions of Exile 2 by parking in the next room over, and casting Shockwave over and over again.

Except that Shockwave has been nerfed badly in this game – it no longer ignores LoS.

“We're past!”

You also can't activate this encounter in combat. And if you didn't have Erika's Activated Amulets – she will still show up, but Rentar-Ihrno will teleport you away up to four times when you approach, forcing you to fight your way through again and again and again.

“Rentar-Ihrno! Why?”

red?

“THE CONTROLS!”

“All four vats are still active – we need to release the compounds!”

come on

“Power up the reaction! We need this as volatile as possible!”

“There is no salvation for her, Art-Iktah. This was her curse.”

“Then we all die here.”

“Only you would have the power to make that a reality.”

“START!”

Please click on the image below to play the final video, and I'll see you all in the Epilogue.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 18, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Button pushing saved the day!

Hooray for Sass, pusher of the buttons!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 73 – The Generic Dungeon, and Two Epilogues

THE GENERIC DUNGEON

"Oh! I know! For some reason, this pillar only works when you put some pants on them. Aren't I glad I've been carrying this pair around."

"Why do you have those?"

"Can't a woman wear pants?"

"... Point."

"Now, we step on that rune."

"Is this a good idea?"

"Where are we?"

"Oh great, one of these places."

"What places?"

"You'll see."

"This place ... it doesn't feel real."

"No, it feels ... undone? Is that even right?"

"Well, Cave Rats aren't exactly a challenge."

"Skeletons and Cats?!?! This is ... like ... the weakest monsters we could be fighting."

"Well, hopefully the loot is better."

"This is a stone knife! My teeth are better weapons than this!"

"I'm sure you can see a stick around here. That would be worse."

"I think I know this feeling."

"It's the lack of effort."

"Well, perhaps there's something intelligent here."

"Huh. Yep. One of those places."

"Hail, Generic Guard!"

You meet a guard.

"So, what's your name?"

"I'm a guard."

"And what is your job?"

"I'm a guard," he says helpfully.

"So, what do you guard?"

"Interesting conversation."

"I wonder if they have generic beer?"

"Probably."

"Hello."

A dark, embittered man sits at the bar, waiting for you.

"Hello. I'm Art. What's your name?"

"Jeff. What's it to you?"

"Politeness. What is your job here?"

"I'm here to tell you my whole life story. What'd you expect?"

“What? Your whole life?”

“Yeah. Isn't that what everyone supposed to do? You want in, some random weird looking heavily armed people from the Empire's enemy, and I'm supposed to just spill my guts to you. Right? It's so implausible, it makes me sick.”

“I just have one of those faces that people open up to. But you don't look sick.”

“I didn't want to be in this game. It's shareware, for God's sake! I wanted to be in a nice commercial game.”

“What sort of game do you want to be in?”

“Like Daggerfall! That would be awesome! Not much dialogue, but high exposure! Great for good roles! Or Diablo! Or even Ultima Online! Anything with a nice shiny box.”

“Whatever. Blah, blah, blah.”

“Really? Is that all you have to say? blah?”

“Oh, just go and finish the game. You're close. I'm going to work on my resume.”

“I'm pretty sure this would be good for the resume. Indy games are like that.”

“Well, thank you for your time. Bye.”

:glomp:
“Thank you.”

“I'm going to pull it!”

“Who is that?”

“Someone important.”

“What could be here?”

“Knowing what we've encountered so far, probably nothing.”

“This isn't interesting at all!”

“Well, that was that. There should be one last thing to do.”

“What do these words mean?”

“You're welcome.”

“One last portal.”

EPILOGUE THE ZEROTH

“Are you ready for this?” Anaximander asked.

“No. But it has to be done. Good luck with your new position.”

“And you too, Anaximander.”

EPILOGUE THE FIRST

“Hey, everyone, wake up! It's time to meet Anaximander!”

“Oh right, introductions all around. I'm Jenneke, newly recruited. I specialize in swords, and I won the straw draw last night, so I'm leader until we can make a more permanent decision.”

“Thissa. I am from Gnass. I stab things, nothing less. And possibly more.”

“My name is Frrrrrr. I can do many things, except cast spells.”

“That's where I come in. I am Adrianna, mage. I can't say I'm the best at it, but there's always room for improvement.”

“Feodoric is the name. I dabble in martial magic, a long road to greatness.”

“And lastly, that makes me. I'm Michael, down from Formello. I am a holy priest, and am ready to defend us to the last.”

“Cool! Let's go meet the boss!”

As you enter the room, you see an older woman sitting at the desk, bent over with pen in hand and examining a parchment. Her auburn hair is turning grey, and while she has the complexion of an Exile, her skin shows signs of being out in the sun. What draws your eyes though, are the two Vahnatai blades sitting beside her, and the emblem of an Imperial Dervish on the wall.

“Hello? Ma'am? You wanted to see us?”

“Ah, yes. There you are. My name is Anaximander, and welcome to field duty for Unspecified Services.”

“Jenneke, Thissa, Frrrrrr, Adrianna, Feodoric and Michael. What is our job?”

She laughs, but you're not certain it's with humor. “Don't be so hasty. Yes, I have tasks for you, but you don't need to be in such a rush.”

“To the surface?”

“Yes. You do have tasks up there.”

“What would be those tasks, Anaximander?”

“Three of them at this point. The first is to go to the surface and head north to Lorelei. I have a missive for our Embassy up there.” She hands you a sealed scroll. “Take it to our Ambassador up there. He may ask you to return with a reply, he may not. As for the others, that's a bit more complicated.”

“How complicated, Sir?”

“Could be bad. Could be easy. You're to head east to Golddale, and get in contact with our survey team out there. They are laying out plans for the city of Dawn, and are running into trouble.”

“There is no trouble we can't handle!”

“There are reports of a rogue pyromancer in the area. Talk to them if you can, and convince them to stop getting in the way of our people. They may be wanting their privacy, they may be mad. Use your judgement.”

“You'll trust our ability to judge the situation?”

“That's why you're here. If we couldn't, you would be in Unspecified Services. Now go, you're dismissed.”

EPILOGUE THE SECOND

“Yesss, thiz iz important.”

“We need to be done this quickly. I cannot leave the New Tower for long. Not with the Castle breathing down our necks for further oversight.”

“You cannot blame them.”

“... No. I can't. I was lucky I was outside the tower when it happened. I helped contain the damage until Art was able to fix it.”

“I can hear them. Ssskittering away.”

“I'll start on this side, and you on that side.”

“Shall you do the honours?”

“Thank you. After all, you got to do this last time.”

“And I will seal that up.”

“Now we wait.”

“So, you are on the Triad now?”

“In all but name. Solberg has given his tacit approval, and X has, in their usual manner, not objected at all.”

“You have done well with your ascension.”

“Yeah. I just wish that Erika was a bit more prepared for her death. The Redmark Academy is nice and all, but it will take years to safely get into her tower.”

“Perhapsss Art can help?”

“No. I don't want to bother her with that. She was there, at the end.”

“It iz done. Hopefully, none of them escaped this time.”

“Death to the Giant, Intelligent, Friendly, Talking Spiders.”

Thank you all. This LP began on March 6, 2016 and was finished on June 15th, 2017. The start of the trilogy happened on March 16, 2013.

It has been a long four years. I had to take breaks – weeks or even months at a time – but I pulled through in the end. Completed 5 other LPs while I was doing these even!

There are too many people to name, for those who commented and contributed to my work here – you are all recognized. Thank you.

Art's story has ended. There is nothing more to say. I will not be advancing into Avernum 4-6. Certainly not with her at the helm. I have other projects I want to pick back up and finish. And if you know me by now, it's that I will finish what I started.

Thank you all, again. And I'll see you next time.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 15, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
H-how could you do that to Spider?? And Spider, and Spider, and Spider, and Spider, and Spider, and Spider, and Spider, and Spider, and all the other Spiders?

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

GodFish posted:

H-how could you do that to Spider?? And Spider, and Spider, and Spider, and Spider, and Spider, and Spider, and Spider, and Spider, and all the other Spiders?

It's like they say: Quickfire is the GIFTS that keeps on giving :supaburn:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Did I miss the conclusion of what happened with Art's daughter?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

The poor GIFTS. :ohdear:

Karatela posted:

It's like they say: Quickfire is the GIFTS that keeps on giving :supaburn:

:frogout:

berryjon posted:

Thank you all. This LP began on March 6, 2016 and was finished on June 15th, 2017. The start of the trilogy happened on March 16, 2013.

It has been a long four years. I had to take breaks – weeks or even months at a time – but I pulled through in the end. Completed 5 other LPs while I was doing these even!

There are too many people to name, for those who commented and contributed to my work here – you are all recognized. Thank you.

Art's story has ended. There is nothing more to say. I will not be advancing into Avernum 4-6. Certainly not with her at the helm. I have other projects I want to pick back up and finish. And if you know me by now, it's that I will finish what I started.

Thank you all, again. And I'll see you next time.

No, thank you for doing this story. This was awesome, and a hell of a read (even though I only came in at the end.)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Peachfart posted:

Did I miss the conclusion of what happened with Art's daughter?

I must admit, I was hoping for some clarification on the relationship between Art and Empress Prazac myself, but I fancy that jon wants to leave it this way.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
You seem to call Rentar-Ihrno 'he' a couple times, when the in-game text says 'she'.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
A few notes on this update.

Rentar's chamber is totally accessible! You don't have to do anything special either, just throw Unlock Door at it and get lucky. There's a Ring of Speed in there, and I think a Strong Skill Potion and some energy potions as well. So, y'know, there is one "natural" (not found at random shops) Ring of Speed in the game. It just doesn't show up until the very endgame.

The reading crystals have a hint for you. If you attempt to read them all, you'll get the same hint that Bon-Ihrno gives you -- that you need to open all four channels in order to destroy Rentar's system. This is important, as if you didn't make the Thought Crystal at New Cotra, then in the Keep of Tinraya you'll have to fight and destroy at least one Crystal Soul. And if you do that, then Bon-Ihrno will refuse to meet with you.

The grand duel between Erika and Rentar can be completely shut down by encasing them in antimagic. Which is probably a good thing, as stats-wise Erika is completely outclassed. Thaaaaat's probably because you can kill her if you think she's the cause of the plagues, so she had to have "killable" stats as opposed to Rentar's plot armor. I like to imagine that they just stand there, staring daggers at each other, waiting for the antimagic cloud to dissipate.

If you haven't had all your characters wearing pants for the entire game, then I'm disappointed in you. The game gave you a pants slot so your PCs could have some dignity, and what did you do? You stripped them of it. Literally. :colbert:

You have some broken links in Jeff's dialog, by the way. Lose the quotation marks.

Thanks for the LPs! It's been a real trip down memory lane.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Thank you for these LPs. They were a pleasure to read.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
What? You mean you're not now moving on to do each and every user-made Blades scenario published on Spiderweb's site?

Seriously, this has been a hell of a ride and you're an inspiration for sticking with it. Thank you!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The archive request has been sent to Baldurk (praise be unto him), but I'm not going to close the thread yet.

Any questions for me? About the LP, of course.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Just wanted to toss out that I've definitely liked what you did with the storyline and game here. While I love the games as-is, they're definitely a lot more reliant on filling in dialogue than any of his later stuff.

Also, on a 100% selfish level, I'm glad Peregrine made it all the way. His characterization throughout the series was better than I could have imagined when I suggested the idea years ago. :)

How much time did it take for each update to make? I've always liked the way the story continues on Avernum 5 and 6 (4 is kinda meh, tbh) but man this seems like tons of effort to LP.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

How much time did it take for each update to make? I've always liked the way the story continues on Avernum 5 and 6 (4 is kinda meh, tbh) but man this seems like tons of effort to LP.

Just as a point of comparison for when berryjon answers, for my Avernum LP each update took 3-6 hours to write, depending on complexity. Generally, towns and other dialog-heavy sections took longer than dungeons, unless the dungeon had a really hard fight. But even then, that's time spent playing the game, which passes a lot faster than time spent writing the update.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Congratulations, berryjon!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

How much time did it take for each update to make?

It depends. Recording updates could be anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the screenshots I want to take. As I went through the LPs, I started to do multiple updates worth of content in a single run, then would process it in chunks.

As I played the game, I would sketch out how I want the narrative to go, who would talk to which NPC, and the like.

Once I sat down to start writing, things slowed down. I would have to transcribe the dialogue, or write new stuff wholesale, arrange the images to help the story along, and remove images that didn't fit in. Each update would have a typical of 120-150 images in it, depending on the amount of dialogue and whatnot, and I would work my way down from 200-250 images, depending on the effort I put in.

So, let's say 30 minutes playing through an update, which includes taking screenshots. 3-4 hours to write an update, edit it on my end (which does not include me distracting myself or doing quick research), then another 30 minutes to edit all the images to remove the borders, crop out unwanted sections, then upload them, then insert them all into the file. And that was after years of practice and refining my technique. When I started, things took more effort as I was still learning the process.

I aimed for 15-20 pages in OpenOffice, or 35,000 characters for each update, though that was an ideal.

Make no mistake, ScreenShot LPs (SSLPs) are massive undertakings, but the things you can do with them that you can't with Video LPs make it work the effort.

Exile 1 was 47 updates. Exile 2 was 65. Exile 3 wrapped up with 79. That's, eyeballing it, over 1,100 manhours of work on updates over the past four years.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Congratulations on hitting the end of this whole trilogy! That's impressive.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Phenomenal work, I really enjoyed following this.

And now the world has friendly talking cockroaches, but no friendly talking spiders to eat them. Not very cute.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Thanks for doing all this, berryjon: it's been one hell of a read.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
It's sort of bittersweet that it's over. I've loved these LPs, and I'm sad that Art's tale has concluded.

But I still feel unsatisfied in some ways. I don't necessarily mean conclusion about Art and Prazac's relationship (you've made it clear that's supposed to be ambiguous), but more about what's in the epilogues. Or rather, what isn't in it. Why is Anaximander a code name for the leader of Unspecified Services? Why did Art take over from the previous Anaximander? Why is exterminating a group of (admittedly terrifying yet) friendly sapient beings considered a good thing?

And there are some more things that never got concluded. Like, what happened to the initial group of 4 that Anaximander sent up at the very start? (I know it's revealed in the remakes, but it wasn't here). What did the rest of Art's group get up to after they became Dervishes?

And more than anything, WHAT HAPPENED TO EMBER?! I soooo wanted to see what became of her, at the very least. She was one of my favourites in the original, and she was the only one who never got a cameo in the succeeding LPs.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Anaximander is, in this narrative, the name assigned to Exile's Spymaster, much like "M" from the Bond series.

The former Anaximander got promoted to Ambassador to the Empire, and Art was given that position.

Because I've joked about killing them off ever since they showed up in Exile 1, and now was the payoff for that.

They all died because they were scrubs, and X's equipment sucked. I think I inserted the fates of three of the four into the story.

I ... should have written that in. Oh well. I'm burned out on this. Putting together both updates last night was a drain.

Ember was originally going to have been implied to have participated in the defense of Footracer Province. I vaguely remembered some 'explosion' tiles on the overworld map near the Keep, and I was going to insert a sign which was Ember taunting the Alien Beasts to come closer. Except that was me making a mistake and making things up, so I did a side-implication with the mission ArtAnaximander sent the new team on in that epilogue.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Bravo, berryjon. Thank you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh, something I picked up on way back in Exile 1 but I don't think anyone has mentioned yet -- Erika is Art's sister, isn't she? The Art/Erika interactions in Exile 1 read very much like a sibling spat, and the contrast of having two redheaded sisters, one a mage and one a priest, seems pretty classic.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I didn't post much, but I've read all three of these as you did them. They were fun reads, thanks so much for doing them!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh, something I picked up on way back in Exile 1 but I don't think anyone has mentioned yet -- Erika is Art's sister, isn't she? The Art/Erika interactions in Exile 1 read very much like a sibling spat, and the contrast of having two redheaded sisters, one a mage and one a priest, seems pretty classic.

I got the same impression as well. At the very least, it seems they knew each other before their exiles.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Feels mean to kill the GIFTS :(

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Poor Erika and GIFTS. I assume the headless Bon-Ihrno happens regardless of whether you sleep in the bed?

Thanks for the LPs. They were all fun reads.

Update 72

berryjon posted:

But it's not what we're here or.

Our moreso, I know you would agree. This is for both of us.”

There is so salvation for her, Art-Iktah.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Zagglezig posted:

I assume the headless Bon-Ihrno happens regardless of whether you sleep in the bed?

That is correct. But given the themes I've put into the story, having Art be responsible for leading Rentar-Ihrno's forces to Bon-Ihrno seemed more... visceral. And less sudden when you arrive and Rentar is like "Oh yeah, we also killed off Bon-Ihrno, who was just a name mentioned when you talked to people in Ghirka as I can't be certain you played Exile 2."

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Man as soon as I saw both mages and the barriers I knew what was going to happen. RIP in RIP spiders.
Thanks for all the work you put into this berryjon, I read the LPs from the start, even though I haven't posted in any of the threads, and it has been pretty great to see what was actually inside that shareware game I couldn't figure out 20 years ago (I was like 7yo in my defense) :allears:
Looking forward to reading more of your stuff in the future.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Broken Box posted:

Phenomenal work, I really enjoyed following this.

And now the world has friendly talking cockroaches, but no friendly talking spiders to eat them. Not very cute.

To be fair, the cockroaches would probably survive being nuked better than the GIFTS did. Also, love the hilariously sick ending there as the note for these LPs to go out on :D.

Mr VacBob
Aug 27, 2003
Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea
Thanks for finishing the game I never had the attention span to do! Let's see how Avernum III x2 comes out.

berryjon posted:

“What do you expect to accomplish, Art-Iktah? This is not your path.”

“Is he going to keep doing that thing the whole time?”

Just one thing here - you called Rentar-Ihrno "he".

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Didn't you have some plan to fill in the last empty spot or did I misread your earlier notes/comment on that earlier? Would the ending have changed if you did manage to chug through the 3500 hp before hitting the detonate button?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kinfolk910 posted:

Didn't you have some plan to fill in the last empty spot or did I misread your earlier notes/comment on that earlier? Would the ending have changed if you did manage to chug through the 3500 hp before hitting the detonate button?

I remember reading someone's story about how they managed to kill Rentar-Ihrno. The issue is her armor, which is preposterously huge. This has two effects: first, she's incredibly hard to hit. And second, even if you do hit her, she has so much damage reduction that you won't do any damage. Apparently (according to what I read) your best bet is to deploy Spectres via Soul Crystal capture, as their chilling touch is the most reliable means of doing damage. Maybe it works even if the base attack doesn't do damage; I'm not clear if flaming-enchanted weapons would work similarly. You need to keep Rentar locked down in antimagic, of course, and you can't buff the Spectres (buff spells can only be cast on party members), and even with Rentar cursed to the gills they can't hit her more than maybe one time in ten, so you're talking an hours-long slog to do this. You'll probably need to cheat your SP up to keep casting Antimagic Cloud and to refresh your supply of Spectres; the Ring of "Endless" Magery will eventually run dry and you can only carry so many Energy Potions.

And when she dies, she makes a sound like a dying goblin or slime or something. And nothing changes beyond that. Erika still dies in a cutscene, Rentar still projects her shade to yell at Prazac, etc. The game doesn't know or care that you killed her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calamitous_Justice
Feb 21, 2011
Super impressive job on finishing the LP. I'm also really glad I submitted Delilah at the very beginning of this thread, never expecting such a weird-rear end build to make it in, and have greatly enjoyed what you have done with her, everyone else's characters, your own, and this game, which I played countless hours of as a child but never had the money to buy beyond shareware demon territory. Wonderful work and thanks so much for your effort.

• Locked thread