Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Name: Sk'rrrrrrl ("Karl")
Race: Nephil (F1)
Traits: Woodsman, Magically Inept (if that's not a giant handicap)
Training: Missile weapons, assassination, bashing

Background: Karl was a wild child, born to bandits and living outside civilization most of his life. He claims to have been recently exiled for banditry and that largely shuts people up about the specifics.

Which is a good thing, because he was never actually exiled at all. He was off hunting one day and returned to find an advance scouting party from Exile had wiped out the lair of his current group, so he tracked them back to their point of egress and snuck in. Not for revenge, just figuring he'd probably be safer on the side with more weapons. Karl has ridiculously cavalier attitudes about theft and murder, which are actually kind of an asset in Unspecified Services, or at least not as much of a liability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I would have figured the caves would be straight newbie zones, but when has anything in Exile ever tried to present that kind of smooth challenge progression?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What is the surface world like, politically? Could the slimes be creations of an enemy nation trying to invade the Empire?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
They're getting pretty serious with the slime thing. I suppose it's the first major surface plotline and Exile is where the real newbie stuff happens?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose sheep would be a little terrifying to a cave-dwelling people.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to wonder if, back in the day, people tried Last Minute runs, faffing about and skirting as close to armageddon as they could.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Rewarded with a ton of cash and then blowing it all on training. Yeah, that's how I remember my Exile.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
On the other hand, copying Erika's mark is an excellent way for a surface mage to divert suspicion, because of course Erika wants to gently caress the Empire and there's no way she can come topside to enforce copyright. Magewright?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how restrained the use of multi-sprite monsters has been so far. But I suppose it's going to be super-common near the end of the game since that usually involves giants, right?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, interesting. I wonder how many people find that teleportation hut late in the game and kick themselves thinking about all the time they've lost.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really it's the "deranged" in that question that bugs me. I mean, a deranged mind isn't going to be able to focus enough to use magic properly. Magic can be directed toward evil, of course, but that's by a deliberate and malicious choice.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think part of this really hinges on how magic actually is in the world. I mean, we're PCs, we can pick up spells whenever barring character creation disadvantages, but how much of a sacrifice or a possibility is it really for the common man to start using magic? And magic is never really dangerous for us, barring friendly fire incidents or quickfire, but mages traffic regularly with demons and other forces.

So it may not be "do you want to use a shovel to dig the hole" but "do you want to use the radioactive shovel that plugs into your soul to dig the hole".

On its face though, with how PCs experience the magic system? Shovel vs. not-shovel.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised we didn't find even a little clue about what's up with these roaches.

Unless it's just poor sanitation.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
One of the advantages we have as PCs is that our magic has known, predictable effects. But can't magic just do anything? So you can be experimenting under controlled conditions but then your spell sets fire to the nearest green roof because unbeknownst to you that's what you made it do.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Finally, something we as PCs can agree with. Pretty sure almost every game of this series I ever played has hinged on starting with AoE mage spells and going up from there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, since we haven't seen anything to do with the filth factory yet, any takers on whether or not Erica's mark shows up here, too?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This place... was built to human scale, right? There were plenty of human-sized doors?

Or is "door" just an icon, and even the huge sprites can just fit right through one?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to admit, chess by mail was a pretty worthy payoff to that seemingly-interminable series of delivery missions.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can appreciate the desire to go big for this game. I mean, you've got the whole overworld, not just some cave people got exiled to. Why not spread out?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really appreciated the picture of that montane flower field. It sold the ambiance better than the stock overworld sprites, and reminded me that was actually a thing that existed and not something made-up for purposes of fantasy, like gremlins and dryads and a single, perfect rose.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So what kind of overland map do you have? Is it just pencil and paper to remember where all the towns are or can you easily see the names of places you've been?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, something's super-obviously going on with those islands, but I thought the undead would turn out to be some kind of big global threat too, and they were just tied to that dungeon.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. We're actually trying diplomacy? Or does our aspiring lord here look to join the winning side?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I completely understand that the troglos have to keep up every appearance of being a threat but that's pretty hilarious all the same.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Even if the streets were clear, they don't seem very throngable. What are they, two tiles wide at best?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Those cells are kind of distressingly human-sized.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd think that whatever forces created that impenetrable sunfire barrier would have thought to peek for a way around.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know why, but somehow exploring feels more natural when it's done above ground. There's no reason why passages in a giant wall of underground rock should seem any less natural than passes in a giant overground mountain, but somehow they do.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Have to admit, I did not think potions would wind up that heavy. I guess the active ingredients were super-toxic and had to be diluted heavily?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, the Cult is so very nakedly the Cult of Arbitrary Plot Gating. They're theologically opposed to people progressing through RPGs!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are fire barriers supposed to help you in controlling your own Quickfire (because I don't doubt you'll get the spell at some point)?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There's something I've been wondering about for a while - why aren't you taking any of the alchemy herbs? Do they decay when they're in your inventory?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm just laughing at the magic breastplates now. Maybe a wizard got tired of making horrendous deathbeasts all day and just made magic breastplates all day and flooded the market?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think it's actually kind of adorable that all the dragons have pulled together like this. And there are babies! It seemed from the first two games that the dragons would just kind of fade from the world, and if that's not the case I'll be glad.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like that there's managed to be a little genuine mystery here, at least for a while. You need GM fiat to get any real kinds of mysteries going, anyhow.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The way that interrogator talks makes it seem like the giants were refugees from the trog war.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really I would have expected this kind of madness from a man caught between a rock and a bone place.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ouch. But... where did the herb come from? Off-continent?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, programmed patterns. The problem with patterns is that when you don't know what they are, they may as well not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really the Vahnatai are the easiest to understand here. They got well hosed by the Empire and there are probably quite a lot of people down there calling out for revenge.

• Locked thread