Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Ooh. This - this is the one I got the furthest in, way back when.

Let's see what I can come up with this time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
And sneaking in - perhaps appropriately - before the deadline...

Blodwyn, AKA 'Blue'.
Female Human (Top row, fifth column, dark-skinned woman in armour).
Traits: Woodsman (+8%), Toughness (+10%)
Skills: Edged Weapons, Defence, some Strength and Dexterity, maybe Assassination, if Disarm Traps stacks across the party that might be good. Basically a front-liner build, thinking sword and shield if at all possible. Oh, and a bit of Item Lore, just to add to the pool - that can be cultivated or left as a rank or two.

---

They might not have been lofty heights, but they were hers. Story of her life, really. Was third in command of a fairly lucrative merchant troupe - right up until her boss annoyed the wrong Empire official. By then, shipping people off to Exile was a non-option - that particular punishment having died with Hawthorne - so they'd gone for something more severe, to 'make an example'. Execution, and confiscation of everything the troupe owned. Thanks to that 'reasonable' option being gone, everything was torn apart.

So her life was ruined. Fine. She could rebuild. Legally, not so much - but the law wasn't on her side to begin with. So she found her way to the shadier side of business, eventually signing on with a bandit gang. Knowledge of how caravans ran, of how valuable goods could be...well, that made her command material.

So she got better. Learned to fight, got practised at ambushing, and worked her way up to sub-commander of a fairly hefty bandit troupe. Thugs under her command - brutal sorts who'd backstab her as easily as anything. Fine - she never expected loyalty, the world was a brutal enough place. And they got a bit big, and needed a place to hide out from Empire patrols...so they started building a fort, and 'Blue' near the top of its pecking order.

Not exactly lofty heights, but they were hers. Right up until there was an accident, or maybe a betrayal - she'd been checking on an outer wall, a catwalk collapsed, and she fell into the abyss.

Filthy caves. Filled with monsters. A hard woman could find a way to endure, but swords dull, armour breaks...and when a bedraggled woman hit her limit, she finally found other people.

For loose definitions of 'people'. Exiles. So she was swept up, because Unspecified Services would just love to hear about the current state of the surface world - and she'd travelled enough as a merchant-turned-bandit to know a little bit about a lot of things. Was 'recommended' to sign up with Unspecified Services, because monster-infested caverns are a hard thing to survive alone...

She's bitter. Over the Exiles' role in the turmoil of the last decade. Over her supposed comrades effectively stabbing her in the back. Over how a pretty good life has fallen apart twice now...but fine.

She can come out on top again.

---

tl;dr: Former merchant turned bandit who got stuck in Exile in the last couple of months. Bitter, determined, and working with Exiles is basically the least terrible of her options.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Right, took a little while to think this over...

+4 to Bronwyn/'Blue', because...my submission, and I feel like berryjon can have fun with a semi-reformed-bandit informant helping Art. For values of helping.
+3 to Ni'aurri, because curiosity hopefully won't kill the party.
+2 to Sass the Happy Slith because we need a slith and this one's fun.
+1 to Deliah because I imagine she'll frustrate Art to no end.

(-1) to John, because a golem party member just feels weird, and I'm not sure how much banter we can get out of a "blank slate".

No one else to particularly downvote from me.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Well, this promises to be fun. I think Blue's allowed a little grumpiness for being one of the few party members - barring the fifty-year-old priestess - who gets to go up front and get beaten on by monsters.

But, hijinks!

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
I'm enjoying the party hijinks already.

Also wow am I ever glad I didn't grab Chronic Illness, that seems horribly debilitating.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Of course Arrth-Tsss put up a statue.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
I vaguely remember the demo for this, but it's been more computers than I can recall. Forgot about Jordan's Tower completely - is that skippable? I feel like I might have skipped it, or maybe my memory is just fuzzy.

I kind of remember the second plague more anyway. Especially the egg.

Also, bandits. Yet more bandits.

Since I never finished it - Exile 1 and 2 both had three 'win' conditions, but where E1 kind of had them in any order - difficulty curves aside - E2 had a somewhat more strict ordering. (Crystal Souls before Garzy, and I'm not sure if the portal's also a requirement or not...) With that in mind - does E3 tend more toward the E1 model of Major Things To Accomplish, or E2's model of It All Leads Up To This? ...if it's possible to answer that without drastic spoilers, just a general sense.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Works for me as an answer.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
I'm suddenly wondering if I still have my old saves kicking around - I wonder what party I made, way back when.

(Probably not a good one.)

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
This was a fun update.

So with 'stealing' items, is the key to just not be caught?

Also time for the Empite to start panicking. She's back.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
So the evidence points to a mage with an ego.

That rules out almost no mages...

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Until seeing the screenshot, I'd forgotten about that amulet from when I played the demo, way back when.

I can't remember ever learning what that thing was for, so that should be a fun surprise.

Also there's things in that tower that can and will kill you. What they are I don't remember, I only recall 'right, I got a few game overs poking around'.

Caveat: I was not good at this game.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
The answer is to punch evil mages in the face, be kind to good ones, and scream insults at those on the fence.

At least that's Art's answer...

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Webwood? Suddenly I am filled with trepidation...

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Yeah, this seems like a suitable reason to burn the world.

Art. You're friends with Erika. And know mages who know Quickfire. You can do this.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
That random shop was certainly something. Wow.

...why am I now extra-suspicious of Bronwyn, for 'finding' such an opportunity?

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
What about you, Peregrine?

There's also Kai-Lyss. Not saying he disproves the thesis at all, just listing him as a mage.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
You break there. There. Fiendish!

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Oh, fun!

...so is the game as snarky about that Random Tower as Art's group were, or is it played seriously?

Also, welcome back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Well. That was...quite the speech. Interesting, on Vogel's part, that that NPC is always 'friendly'.

What does that mean? Not sure. Could be intentional. Could be a bug. But you used it well.

And oh, oh so many might describe Art in such glowing terms. But the party missed one.

These plagues have clearly been wrought by the GIFTS in the name of Friend-To-Spider! We must burn them all.

• Locked thread