Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Name: Ni'aurrl ( or "Neril")
Race: Nephilim (2nd column from right, 3rd row from bottom, the "mage" nephilim picture)

Occupation: Sage in service to the Nephilim, training to serve the Wise Hunter

Background: Ask too many questions, get sent to the sages. Ask too many questions of the Sages, and they just may keep you. Ni'aurrl fit the saying, and has been rigorously trained since she was a kit. When the Nephilim diplomats heard of the joint venture to the Surface, they jumped at the opportunity to see Home again; they sent word to the Sages, and the Sages sent her - barely an adult, calmed down enough to hunt without sound, but still a flurry of questions. The Sages have drilled her relentlessly on their surface territories, and she is keen to scout, see what has become of them, if new grounds can be acquired for their people.

Neril is eager to see, to learn, and to bring word back to her people. Prone to bursting out with questions, talking too much (too quickly), asking rapid fire questions, but has enough hunter's sense to know when to be quiet and stealthy - even if the prey is knowledge, not a living creature. She is trained to observe, to deduce and learn; these are shared by both mages and hunters, and she is a blooded huntress (rite of passage to adulthood) as well as an up-and-coming mage for the Nephilim.

Skills: Mage, primary. Priest as secondary far down the line would be most appropriate, but could go towards edged or thrown or scout as secondary. Leaving point allotment, skills, advantages/disadvantages up to you, I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics to suggest a build. That said, probably has Lore.

She's well-read, knows some of Art's doings (what was available to public and Nephilim sources), and oh the questions she has. Not quite hero-worship, but definitely respect and excitement to get at all Art's history - especially as Art's connections to the Surface and Empire start becoming evident.

And she will (re)invent sunglasses upon seeing the Surface at high noon, because ouch that's bright. (Or wear a broad-brimmed hat, but that's less exciting.)

- - - - -

Very excited you are continuing, berryjon!

I don't think I've read anything in your first two threads about Nephilim religion. Please disregard if this doesn't fit the game or your views. Going for the easy conversion, saying Bast and Sekhmet are likely goddesses for the Nephilim, and possibly they are a maternally organized society. Here, I am using a loose version of Bast for the Wise Hunter, and Sekhmet for the goddess of War. A devotee of the Wise Hunter makes more sense for Unspecified Services and scouting, and a Sage is a fitting devotee even if they are not a priestess. Sage loosely being both the magical scholar (mage), and the general historian/natural historian/scientist.

And of course, ferreting out secrets is a grand tradition for cats, thus Neril's devotion to finding out Art's past, once her ties to the surface are revealed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Please excuse my lack of photo-shopping abilities. I saw I need to get the head portrait to 28x36, and hopefully this image can be edited to the right dimensions?

Not sure there's enough contrast, please feel free to do whatever with it, if you select her.

Thanks!

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Ni'aurrl +4
Bronwyn +3 (can't wait to see her and Art clash)
Mattias +2
John +1

Nista -1

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Very much enjoying the write-ups!

The people of Krizsan seem very tolerant of Exiles. And pretending to not notice what must be obvious, given most of them seem to recognize the party being Exiles. (Which, in all honesty, with a Slith and Nephil, should be pretty obvious.)

Couple of typo/missing words:

Delilah, initial fight with the slimes: “That that one just use magic?”

Ni'aurrl: facepalm, “Could not advertise that particular fact? We're all politely ignoring it.”

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Berryjon, I loved the dialog and general team interactions. I laughed, and laughed harder at “I HATE THIS PLACE AND I NEED WATER TO CLEAN MYSELF!”

I was in Ashland, OR, when multiple major forest fires were raging, ash was hanging in the air, and I was somewhere between discovering allergies and flipping out - and this was almost exactly what I was thinking, including all caps. (There might have been more swearing and lashing out at family, to my chagrin.)

Signs someone is Not Okay:

quote:

“Don't worry. When I get my precious, we'll do that.”

“Your what?”

“My Orb!”

“Well, you are very happy to speak of it, so I can see that you will eventually find your joy.”

And I thought this exchange was hilarious:

quote:

“Well, if the Tower was any indication, all we need to do is mention that someone named Linda is on the other side and Art will rip the doors down through sheer rage.”

“...”

“Let's not.”

A typo, if you want to correct:

quote:

“Huh, he doesn't see us.”

“Oh hear us.”

Should be "Or hear us."

Thank you - I am hugely enjoying this, and I love this team.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Last question proved Art is more than happy to break out the formal logic, so I'll take a stab at it; it's fun to see which cases match.

Anecdotal evidence; "it was true for me this time, so it will hold true in all cases." Just because they got away with not using magic this time says nothing about some other catastrophe that could only be solved with magic.

They are also using the Noble Effort, "we worked really hard on this, so it must have value/be right."

Then there's what has already been pointed out, the "we live in the best of all possible worlds" - refusing to consider that magic could have made the process easier and safer, and they would be better off than they are now if had used it.

All that said, they have a point about how one can do great deeds without magic, but the jump to "therefore magic isn't needed" is wrong.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Cerebral Bore posted:

As mentioned, the end goal of the Anama is probably to be left alone to do their thing rather than take over the world.

EDIT: And unless they have some kind of hardcore evangelical mandate built into their worldview, they really don't have any ethical obligation to try and change the entire world either.

This the sort of problem that crops up, however - a bit down the line, and someone is taking this philosophy and trying to impose it on the world as a whole. The same sort of thing happens even with theologies that are teaching tolerance. The Anama are preaching intolerance - they are playing with fire. Possibly quickfire.

Hilariously, this is a version of "this is why we train our mages carefully!" argument, except tuned to "this is why we moderate our speech and do not incite hatred."

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Kurtz

quote:

“Reason I like in a port town. Not doing a job?”

Should probably be "Reason I live in a port town."

As to the Anama being like the Amish - I don't know enough about the Amish as to whether they call technology the "dark arts" but when you start throwing around the language the Anama have, doesn't taken long for someone to decide "gee, if it is evil and the dark art, we should purge that!" --Possibly I'm taking this too seriously due to demagoguery being slung about recently in national politics, but yeah, rather uneasy about this sort of language.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Oh no! Matthias!

:(

They're sticking him in the mind shard, I hope?

He seemed to have radiation sickness - or was that the implication of the tower's miasma being radioactive, and he had some other long term illness?

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

While we're talking about stuff to the face, I'll go ahead and link Boot to the Head, Phoenix Wright-style.

This made my day. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I got a bit lost between the cut where the game decided to crash horribly on you, and where we picked up.

Is that something that will be obvious in the archive? If not, do you mind putting in some quick explanation of how the team knows where to go, either IC or OOC?

Very much looking forward to the conclusion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Thanks so much for putting in all the effort - I love your writing, and I loved Art. Still hurts that one of the originals was actually a spy for Empire and was killed. I loved Karnass and how he became the effective next in line ruler for Exile, too.

Really, I love how you've portrayed all the characters the threads gave you. I was thrilled with Ni'aurl; she was exactly what I was hoping for.

You mentioned at the beginning when we were voting on characters that you would reserve one spot for a character of your choice. For Exile 2, that was Arth-Ssss. Who was the character you had picked out, and why? What aspect made them a good foil/character for Art and Exile 3?

Do the other Vahnatai always hate the Exiles/humans in the later games? Do they ever overcome their extreme xenophobia?

Thank you!

• Locked thread