Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I could have sworn there was a limit of 2 traits you could grab, but that might have been Avernum rather than Exile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

berryjon posted:

While looking around for information about when certain cities get overrun by monsters (which I still haven't found yet), I realized that this party could actually pull of an Anama run with the way they are now.

Man, I have to seriously consider showing that off on a different save.

I couldn't find one for Exile 3, but I did find one for Avernum 3. There's no guarantee, of course, that nothing changed in the remake process (in fact, the opposite is likely true).

Spoilers for the uninitiated: http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/19339-avernum-3-effects-of-passage-of-timedays-complete-town-list/

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

berryjon posted:

This is correct - I did Quickfire the Empire Town back in E2, and it wasn't considered a Hostile act, even as guards and civilians were dropping dead.

I may or may not have occasionally stolen some well-guarded stuff from Fort Emergence with judicious use of character editor-added Quickfire and Fire Barrier.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Pierzak posted:

If you're going to the trouble of using the editor for that, you might as well just edit the items in.

Also, berryjon, you have a "Slithzerizai" in the last update.

I am principled in my cheating! :v: Also those rear end in a top hat guards who dared to come between me and my kleptomania had to go anyway, so why not kill two birds with one stone.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Whybird posted:

I think it's fair to say that the way magic is portrayed in the series, accidentally killing a whole bunch of people with magic is a lot easier than accidentally killing a whole bunch of people through other means.

Yeah, one of my complaints with the Anama is not so much that they don't have a point, but that they argue their point insultingly fallaciously, to the extent that I'm inclined to disagree with them just on account of disliking their manipulations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

And how would the Anama's nay-saying really help that underlying problem then? It's not going to make people stop practicing magic entirely, it would just drive the magic practitioners underground and make them more likely to cause poo poo because of there being no proper channels for them to practice through any longer, and having to keep it secret from all their devout Anama-following friends and family.

In the context of the game they can simply go somewhere out of Anama territory and avoid the problem. But if the Anama's trying to make a general point with all these blanket generalizations, then their point should still be practical even if the entire power structure of the world suddenly decided to 100% back the Anama point of view. If - when - it's not, they shouldn't be generalizing in the first place.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

How are we looking in terms of poo poo happening with the other plagues because of days passing while we gently caress around exploring?

If we have plenty of time, east. If we need to get a move on to prevent problems from the next plague, west.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

vdate posted:

I was rereading the first Exile LP to try and scrape together a few facts scattered over a very large number of updates, and I just hit the conversation with Micah. Well played, berryjon. The Revolver Ocelot stinger at the end of that update makes a lot more sense now that I've seen what you were setting up for.

Also, is it just me, or does 'Anaxiamander' sound like an 80s cartoon villain name? (Or maybe a dragon. I could totally see a dragon being called 'Anaxiamander.')

Well part of that is that it wasn't until we got to E3 and actually had screenshots with the guy, that berryjon ninja edited his name (sometimes) to the actual Anaximander without the extra A in the middle.

I do agree that the modified version sounds villainous in a way that the original (which is, btw, Greek) oddly does not. Probably because "Anaxia" in general sounds like a villain name.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

LuffyVeggies posted:

I'm sorry, but you guys keep mentioning someone named Elly in relation to some cult, and I don't know who you're talking about. I looked through the Exile I LP on the archive and got no answers.

TooMuchAbstraction has an ongoing LP of the re-remake of Exile 1, in a similar style to this one (each party member is given personality and characterization). You can meet Elly there. She and the rest of the gang are pretty glorious.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

*Supposedly - it's possible there's a bug somewhere or clever way to sneak in, but the intent is that you need to talk to Prazac to get into Tinraya.

On a bug-related note, somewhere in the northwest of Valorim is a place in a mountain range that you'd just baaaaarely be able to fly in and out of. Problem is, the tile you "land" on is one of those mountain tiles that's walkable even though it looks like a mountain... and the game apparently doesn't check properly for that.

It sees mountain and stops before wondering if it's walkable, and thus it treats it as "welp you landed on the mountains to your deaths, reload save?". The only way to get past there (or at least, the only way I was able to get past there myself, some nearly-two-decades ago...) to see what's up is to use Cheat Engine or similar to extend your flying distance far enough to land on a normal land tile.

This may be why so few people found E3's easter egg zone. This mountain stuff I'm babbling about is more akin to the place in E2 near Erika's tower and an efreet where you get the Eas Ter Egg teleporter code, so it's not the actual easter egg zone entrance itself.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

From years-old recollection, I want to say it's only fire and force barriers, but don't hold me to that.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If memory serves, that locked area for Sulfras is like the locked area for Erika - flavor via magic map, of bits of the home of a powerful being that you aren't actually able to go strolling around in. And there's no key to be obtained in-game, though in-universe a key conceptually exists.

I want to say a later area also has the same quirk of the mappable area including sections you can't actually legitimately explore.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

berryjon posted:

“uhhh...” [i]You see a mage of the Empire, decayed to a horrifying extent. She lies back on the filthy bed, the corners of her mouth crusted with herbal potion. She mumbles incoherently.”

Missing close italic bracket on this line.

Also, skribbane loving sucks. It's not quite as bad in gameplay as in plot, but even so.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Oh god. This place.

Back in my youth I used the editor here too. No regrets.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

berryjon posted:

Oh, and does anyone know how to get into the west half of Blackcrag?

Way back when we were discussing inaccessible areas as they came up with Erika and Sulfras (and Ghikra except that was misdirection since as you showed, you can totally get into that section), I mentioned I knew of a third one but it would be spoilers at that point. Most of Blackcrag is that third one, as far as I know, and you can't actually get in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

berryjon posted:

“Let's not open the barriers leading into what are obviously Alien Beast pens.”

“Not when there are those in front of us.”

Fuzzy memories here, but I want to say that somewhere in the keep (maybe in the quoted section?) is something you can do to "solve" the alien beast plague directly (destroying birthing pens or the like), although it doesn't actually have any real consequences since at this point you're really solving plagues by addressing their source.

• Locked thread