Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreakyM
May 7, 2013
After reading through two LP's and experiencing incredible nostalgia trips, I feel it's absolutely necessary to submit a character.

Name: Loc'ess

Race: Slithzerikai

Background: Born shortly before the outbreak of the Exile-Empire War, Loc'ess spent his youth as a refugee fleeing from the Empire's atrocities. Having been granted refuge by the Exiles, and hearing stories from his elders about the Empire's handling of nonhumans, he considers himself owing a life debt to Exile. This, combined with his aptitude for the priestly arts and an uncommonly strong wanderlust led him to become a sort of traveling healer. When Upper Exile was established, "excited" did not quite do justice to his desire to move there.

After a bit of luck, paperwork, and some favors here and there, he finally got clearance to pass the portal to the caverns above. What does fate have in store for him? Only time will tell..

Initial training: Priest spells and anything deemed appropriate. Traits: Magically apt, Good constitution, Cave lore (Yes, I know this is Exile 3. Do it.). Perhaps make him an alchemist on the side?

FreakyM fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyM
May 7, 2013
If I recall correctly, then yes, Magically Inept prevents from drinking Knowledge Brews.

FreakyM
May 7, 2013
Well then, time to cast my votes. In the spirit of sportsmanship, I refrain from voting my own submission and using the -1's.

My +4 goes to Matthias. Chronic disease is nasty stuff, but I feel it'll make for a good story.

Next, the +3 goes to Sasserithrax - I too feel he's going to clash with Art and thus provide plenty of fun.

Moving on, +2 to Delilah. I feel we MUST have a dedicated Priest, after all.

Finally, a +1 to Sk'rrrrrrl. I just like the idea of a non-exile in the party.

FreakyM
May 7, 2013
Chronic Illness really is as bad as they come, yeah, but I think most of the people voting for that character knew exactly what was in store. For storytelling purposes, it makes for some really, really fun times.

FreakyM
May 7, 2013
Another nice update.
Bronwyn's going to become pretty crazy if you invest in enough luck. I can't recall if it ever came up in the past two LP's, but high enough Luck can make you basically unkillable.

FreakyM
May 7, 2013

Tylana posted:

The 0 HP cough helps a lot, but also makes giant lizards on the the worst threats in the game because they have a D&D style claw/claw/bite attack, as I think berryjon's mentioned.

Oh god, the memories from playing Exile 2 as a kid, rushing into Chapter 2 far too early, and getting routinely murdered by Ghasts to the tune of *WHACK* *WHACK* cough *WHACK* AAAAARGH.

FreakyM
May 7, 2013

berryjon posted:

You can also take a boat there, if you're willing to take the long way around. (spoilers, you can get a boat on the Surface)

Whawhoawhatthehell WHAT? You can, seriously? I uhh... need more information on this,

FreakyM
May 7, 2013
What awaits us in the Sharimik area is one of my very favorite quests in the game. However, since we are in the area, kind of, I vote we go east. if my memory serves me right, there are some very interesting things there, as well.

FreakyM
May 7, 2013
Ah, another set of excellent updates.
The game has finally kicked in the higher gears, and if my memory serves me right, next up should be some really, really fun stuff.

FreakyM
May 7, 2013

MagusofStars posted:

Also, as a side note, the Glowing Ones are kinda stupid here. You do research to find out about an extinct race of creatures (nay, two extinct races, but somehow fail to learn they're mortal enemies? Really?

Sounds to me like a built-in failsafe more than anything.

FreakyM
May 7, 2013
You've been lamenting a lack of a challenge lately. Thus, I suggest we go west. EDIT: drat, should have stayed up to date better. Oh well. War is always good fun.

FreakyM
May 7, 2013
For all the time I sank into this game as a kid, I could not figure out if there was in fact a way to explore Erika's inner sanctum. I recall seeing quite a lot of interesting stuff in there and have to wonder if it's all just for show in case someone magic maps the tower.. is there a way to get in that I have missed?

FreakyM
May 7, 2013
Urgh. I have simultaneously dreaded and awaited this part of the LP. I fully admit I cheated the hell out of this place all those years ago when I first played E3.
In fact, was it not heavily changed for Avernum 3? I recall the conveyor belts being removed, at the very least.

FreakyM
May 7, 2013
Ah, I was wondering when you'd start the obscene Luck-pumping you mentioned at the very start of the thread. It's going to be a sight to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyM
May 7, 2013

MagusofStars posted:

I can't actually remember what the anti-Erika weapon is but I think it's some special item that helps neutralize some of her abilities if you fight her. Note that if you've got the Editor, you can actually manually add the other items if you're curious and/or planning on hunting some dragon/archmage in your spare time.

Slight spoiler, I guess:

The anti-Erika "weapon" prevents you from being instagibbed by a trigger in her tower. You still have to fight her and 4 doomguards. Can't remember if she drops anything noteworthy, or if you can access her chambers afterwards.

• Locked thread